Decoying ducks!!

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, stumpjumper, callinfowl, Mallyard

Decoying ducks!!

Postby Illinois-Ducker » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:25 pm

OK, this year was by far the best duck hunting that i have had at the pond i go to. It would have been a lot more successful if i would have decoyed more ducks tho. It seems like i have a wad come over, lock up while they are coming towards me, and then pick right back up. They dont flare, it just seems like they dont like what the call is saying. What call do you suggest for when ducks are locked up and soaring your way??

Thanks for the help
Illinois-Ducker
State Moderator

Postby Mallardslayer » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:34 pm

Sometimes the best call is...not to call. The whole objective to calling at a duck is to have them lock up and come your way.

When they do this on their own they already like something. The best thing you can do is not move. If they sail past you..then you can give them a short comeback call. That should finish the deal.

Learn to read the ducks and call accordingly.
Good luck

Abel
Geese mate for life, so kill them both.
Mallardslayer
Newb

Postby kilndux » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:41 pm

what kind of ducks wouldnt work? Gadwalls are very leary to set into the decoys. I ve seen them make 5 or more passes before landing or coming close enough to terminate.
I'd rather be hunting.
kilndux
hunter

Postby Puddler » Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:49 pm

Early in the season the ducks set into the decoys more because their not as pressured, as the season goes on they are very leary. The slightest things can catch their eye such as a glare on your decoys or your shell casings lying out in front of the blind and shining. I had many ducks set into my decoys then they would fly out 70 yards form the edge of my decoys and land. You have to eliminate any factors that could scare them away. Conceal your self as best as you can and make your decoys look as real as you can with putting some movement in them.
Puddler
hunter

Postby Illinois-Ducker » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:38 pm

Well, the day after the mallards wouldnt come in, i shot two gadwalls that came right in. I dont know what to do.
Illinois-Ducker
State Moderator

Postby 2rivers » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:20 pm

I agree with what all of the guys above said. If they are already comin' to ya just don't do anything til they either start to slide by or it is time to shoot. If they are starting to slide then just hit them with a soft quack or a feed call to keep them on line. If they get by you then hit hit'em with a comeback call. It can take years to learn to read what the ducks want to hear and when the proper time to hit'em with the right call and sometimes it still does'nt work, OH but when it does work it is awesome.
2rivers
hunter

decoying ducks

Postby little goose » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:07 pm

I am from central illinios and late season the ducks were tougher and tougher to get in. When the ducks were locked up and soring in we stopped call. Were do you hunt. I hunt around woodford county.
little goose
hunter

Postby Illinois-Ducker » Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:36 pm

Hey,

I hunt outside of Fairbury.... Its a real small town about 40 min. away from bloomington Normal. On other occasions, i go hunting with my uncle in Havana. Thats some good huntin.
Illinois-Ducker
State Moderator

Postby h2ofwlr » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:15 am

Mallardslayer wrote:Sometimes the best call is...not to call.

He got that right!

As Eli Haydel said many many years ago...I'll paraphrase it... I use 2 calls only, the greeter and the feeder. If they is coming, they is coming, if not-there is nothing you can do about it, so do not waste your time and make them call shy.

The biggest learning part of calling after learning the how tos is when to call which call or almost as important when not to call any call.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Jeepman:-) » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:27 pm

This is a funny discussion, one thing that drives me crazy is listening to the pond/lake/waterway explode with calling when a single or pair fly by and everyone thinks they can call better than the other. Have you ever noticed what the REAL ducks do when pressured? They find the most secluded area and STAY QUIET! I think the biggest mistake people make is calling too much as well. Listen to the birds during the breeding, what they do and how they sound. That helped me out a lot. Go out with your local fowl supporters during placement/replaceing nest tubes. I also practice in rush hour traffic in the off season :thumbsup: must understand the ducks.......be the ducks, daniel son
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the proper application of HIGH EXPLOSIVES!
Jeepman:-)
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum