Calls locking up...

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker, callinfowl

Calls locking up...

Postby Bullfrog26692 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:32 pm

Can anyone recommend a call that doesn't lock up in the field...I have tried a lot of different calls, I mean a whole bunch, but I haven't put them all through the field. I went hunting in the rain this weekend and was pretty disappointed with my RNT's. I usually use an open water and a timber. Believe it or not my Toxic NBD2 pulled its weight in the field and was pulling the mallards pretty good. What about Echo calls?
gooosehunter wrote:I dont always shoot ducks, but when I do, it's dos duckies.
Bullfrog26692
hunter

Re: Calls locking up...

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:55 pm

All calls stick. Hunting in the rain doesn't affect whether or not your call is sticking. I would hazard to guess you spit a lot when you call and that's what's doing it.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:07 pm

spray your reeds with rustoleum never wet. been dying to try it!

Team Quackout
Rhock19
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:19 pm

It is spit causing your calls to stick. All calls have/will stick like Hammer said. Try to keep the tip of your tongue behind the bottom row of your teeth and gate the note with the middle part of your tongue as opposed to gating it with the tip which pushes spit into the call...clear as mud :beer: :beer:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby mgerlach » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:46 pm

I have calls from about every well known company and the only ones that don't stick on me are lares calls. u see some call makers put there call in water then shake it out and blow it and doesn't stick. I guarantee if they done that with spit it would stick.
mgerlach
hunter

Postby callinfowl » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:40 am

They don't call them Stick-in-tones for nothing ! :lol3:
Some guys just can't run them. :yes:
Try lemon pledge on the reeds it works for my Bro in-law. :yes:
Lifes to short to sweat the small crap !
Lighten up and have some fun ,before ya die !

Laugh at yourself and with others!!!!!
callinfowl
Forum Moderator

Postby Cliner » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:56 pm

Like others said, you're probably spitty. I am very spitty when I call, even though I have my tongue anchored to the back of my bottom teeth when operating it. I can stick any call out there. I've stuck all of them from Lares to the "spit proof" Zink ATM. Some people just produce more saliva than others. Everyone spits a little into the call, but proper air presentation goes a long way. My mechanics are fine, I just produce a lot of saliva. I wish I didn't, but you can't change it. I've seen some incredible callers that spit like crazy (I'm not one of those incredible callers).
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:20 pm

It will happen to everyone, some more than others. Keep a dollar bill in your pocket, run it between the reed and the time board and goo as new. I do this whenever it gets slow, especially when it's cold enough to freeze your spit in the call.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:02 pm

Seems all calls will stick sometime. Have found that if learn to blow through it. Doesn't matter to ducks. They make all kids of sounds. Found it seems its the break or stop in calling that matters. Just how I handle it.
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby drew_timothy » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:07 pm

Ive had good luck with buck gardner spit tech calls. I keep a spitfire on my lanyard simply because thats the one call that hasnt stuck on me. My echo has been pretty good too. Ive tried RNT, DRC, Zink, and Foiles and theyve all stuck. I put rain-x on my rnt original's reed and that seemed to help, but then i noticed a bit more spit coming out the insert of the call. But hey, didnt stick up as much, so ill call that a win
drew_timothy
hunter

Postby rookielabtrainer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:05 pm

Swipe a piece of 80 grit down the tone board, change cork and reed at least twice in the season, keep calls tucked inside coat when not in use, your first sound should always be a grunty nasty raspy hen mallard quack, always let calls air out after hunt, only run a SINGLE reed, and stop spittin.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
rookielabtrainer
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:21 pm

Learn to cut of the notes with the middle of your tongue, instead of the tip..
It will cut way down on the spit going into your call...
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby thedeadone » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:06 am

another thing you can do to help is place the call on your lanyard so it hangs vertically. this allows the spit to run and not pool up.
thedeadone
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:35 am

Do not sand your tone board.

Calls stick... all of 'em.
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby rookielabtrainer » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:34 pm

Gunnysway wrote:Do not sand your tone board.

Calls stick... all of 'em.

Why, have u tried it on an acrylic call

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
rookielabtrainer
hunter

Postby nearicefarmer » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:03 pm

Archangel from C&S.. Ive yet to stick mine. I've owned a lot of calls and they all stick on me. Some worse than others but not the angel! The sound is pure duck.
nearicefarmer
hunter

Postby Greenhead Rocker » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:15 pm

This may sound odd, but one thing I've found is that what you're drinking before and during the hunt can cause the problem to be worse. Cokes are some of the worst. They cause the saliva to be "extra sticky" and this WILL affect your call. Water and or flavored waters have helped me out tremendously. I will say this, I've never been able to master the technique of calling with the middle of my tongue. I learned how to call using the tip of my tongue and just can't get comfortable with the other method. I've not found that calling with the tip has been a problem for me, though. Sticking has never been a major issue for me, unless I was drinking a soft drink. I quit drinking them a few years ago and very seldom have problems now.
Greenhead Rocker
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum