variety on my lanyard.....

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: Mallyard, okiequacker, stumpjumper, callinfowl

variety on my lanyard.....

Postby WaterfowlWidowmaker » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:13 pm

for a complete mallard and teal lanyard what kind of calls do i need?? whistle, loud coul and a soft call?? what are the areas i need a call in to make my lanyard complete??
If it flies it dies.
WaterfowlWidowmaker
hunter

Postby duckbum13 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:16 pm

you kinda answered your own question with a wistle,loud call,and a soft call but it depends on where your hunting i guess i dont use a wistle but i have shot ducks brought in by one so i know they work.
jmo
josh
might as well start callin me the pit man
duckbum13
hunter

Postby WaterfowlWidowmaker » Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:27 pm

well thanks....i didnt know if there were any other areas i would need a call in

so a single and a double or is it the brand that makes it loud or soft..

im thinking of a Double Nasty 2...not sure if its loud or soft just heard it was nice for the money...what would would be the ideal lanyard with the ranging sounds with the calls $20 and under each????
If it flies it dies.
WaterfowlWidowmaker
hunter

Postby duckbum13 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:00 pm

hold on let me get cablelas.....k had to look at prices if you wanted a wistle i couldnt help you ive never blown one but for a loud call ive had a few and the one i like the best for under 20.00 is the h.s bill collecter i love it for the money and it is a doub reed that i have for a quiet lower priced call is the primos the hag. one of my buddies has the doub nasty 2 and loves it so im sure it would be a great choice
jmo
josh
duckbum13
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:01 pm

I like Mick lacy duck calls. They are $25, but I like them better than the Double Nasty. Also check out the bill collector by HS. A drake whistle should always be on your lanyard and never leave home without it.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby duckbum13 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:05 pm

in your opinion what do you think is the best drake wistle and ive never seen one but in cabelas the duck commander drake wistle looks huge does anybody have one or seen one?
duckbum13
hunter

Postby WaterfowlWidowmaker » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:25 pm

so possibly a bill collector (single or double??) for long distance.....a whistle.....and which one of those u mentioned is a softer call for finishing them off when theyre right there?? dont want to buy 2 loud ones on accident...

how bout a Yo Sista for a soft call???
If it flies it dies.
WaterfowlWidowmaker
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:29 pm

I have the Mick's Mallard Magic Single reed for $25 (loud)
Also have his short reed goose call for $25
He does make a double reed Mallard Magic for the same price that is quieter, I just wanted a loud call. IMO a single reed in the right hands is the best duck call out there.

I think this is the website
www.micklacygamecalls.com

Bill Collector is a good call. My brother has one. DOn't forget to check out a HS Black Ice. My drake whistle came with my Double Nasty II. It really helps if you blow one that fits your calling style.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby WaterfowlWidowmaker » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:20 am

is the double nasty II loud or soft....same on the black ice...

or is it the # of reeds that makes the difference?? 1 being louder 2 being softer....

thanks alot for all the info...
If it flies it dies.
WaterfowlWidowmaker
hunter

Postby hawkdog » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:02 am

You'll find loud and soft in both double and single reed calls. For softer sounds look for ones that say something like "timber call" on them. Loud ones will sometimes say "open water" on them. It has more to do with the design of the call than the number of reeds.

The black ice is not overly loud. I'm not that big of a fan of the one I own. I would probably go with a primos wench for a cheaper soft call. Its a single reed, and has a sound port like the black ice.

As for drake whistles, primos makes one of these as well. I use it often, the only complaint being that it will clog up if you blow it a lot. Nothing that a rinse with water won't fix, but it can be frustrating.
hawkdog
hunter

Postby Hashburger » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:14 pm

HS 6 in 1 and a HS Bill Collector. If you can run the Single reed right you can stay ducky on the bottom and still be able to have a good Ringing Hail Call.
Hashburger
hunter

Postby WaterfowlWidowmaker » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:55 pm

so a bill collector is versatile as in it can go low and high??....

now im thinkin of Bill Collector, a Primos wench (can it be bought at wally world??) and a drake whistle...

one more Q....do duck calls have tradeoffs??? say if u got a soft call....it wouldnt be great on top but a loud call wouldnt sound right on bottom....and in the middle gets a little from both worlds just not as good as a sound specific call

please correct me if im wrong in my statements....
If it flies it dies.
WaterfowlWidowmaker
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:07 pm

Wench can be bought at walmart and was on clearance at the one here for $11 two weeks ago. If it goes to $7 then I am going to buy one.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby WaterfowlWidowmaker » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:12 pm

so i could be set for a while with only bout $35 for calls.....thats pretty darn good considering what my buddies like to pay...

although im pretty close to my decision i still cant ignore suggestions for the quackhead....wut is its range and sound like???

do i want a raspy sound or clearer?? heard many diff sound clips and wonderin wut works best.... im hunting primarily mallards

thanks for the help
If it flies it dies.
WaterfowlWidowmaker
hunter

Postby travo » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:03 pm

I just got a primos high roller whistle, and it is the only call i have found that will put that "flutter" into your whistle without using voice. it really sounds neat and swampy. And yeah, Walmart is a great place to get duck calls near the end of the season, they about give em away. Calls that you would pay 30$ for on opening day go for 5-8$, 20$ calls even less. it is a great way to pick up and try alot of calls and be able to practice with them in the offseason, having a whole year to get used to them. Walmart is where ive picked up most of my 20+ call collection. I have actually given away about 10 calls that I didnt care for, just cuz they were so cheap. The duck commander whistle sounds good, but you need alot of air to make it sound right and it is bulky. Looks like a can of tomato soup hangin on your lanyard.
junior member of ODHA,incorrigible
travo
hunter

Postby WaterfowlWidowmaker » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:04 am

what is better in a mallard call....a clear quack or raspy and shaky sort of.....heard both worlds just dont know what is more ducky
If it flies it dies.
WaterfowlWidowmaker
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:11 am

It really depends on your area, different mallards sound different. Where I hunt they are all full of corn so they are really squeeky and raspy.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby hawkdog » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:53 am

nice thing about ducks is they have variation in their voices just like humans. go listen to them at the park or wherever they are plentiful and you'll notice high, low, raspy, clear, etc. I like a raspier call, but thats my preference and not necessarily the ducks. :yes:
hawkdog
hunter

Postby Hashburger » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:17 pm

Far as I known the HS BC's can be found at wallmarts. Its around $ 20 or less. The HS whistle is good because it come w/ a tape. Yes your probly saying why do you need a tape? They explain what it can all be used for and teach you properly, and haveing the differnt sounds in the tool box can be helpful. :yes :thumbsup: :
Hashburger
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:50 pm

i agree with hawk dog ducks have different tones so you can get away with alot when it comes to being raspy ect. also in double reed your limited to duck sounds, which isnt a bad thing. a single reed has more what i would call vocabulary. in other words you can get a little lower and a little higher, plus what you get with the double reed. single reeds are a little harder to learn while double reeds are a little easier. both single and double are fine whatever you prefer.
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby WaterfowlWidowmaker » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:59 pm

im thinking of a single reed since ill have the entire off-season to work and get control over the call even if the double is easier.....

how do yall like the single reed version of the bill collector....

im stuck between these 2 singles....

Bill Collector
Quack Head

(cant find a sound clip anywhere for either of these)

tell me what u think....dont know if the calls would still be as good as a single reed as they were doubles
If it flies it dies.
WaterfowlWidowmaker
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:21 pm

if you dont mind opening your wallet id get a rnt daisy cutter i havent tried the bill collector or the quackhead ive heard good things about them though.
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby WaterfowlWidowmaker » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:26 pm

im 14 and just dont think i want to pull that much money out for my first call.....maybe when i get more experienced...
If it flies it dies.
WaterfowlWidowmaker
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:33 pm

i hear what your sayin. if its your first call that your buying i'd also recomend you get an instructional cd. Echo calls makes a good one its called Duck Calling 101
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby WaterfowlWidowmaker » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:42 pm

hhhmmm........dangit....

Bill Collector........Quackhead......

:help: :help:
If it flies it dies.
WaterfowlWidowmaker