Call Sticking After Use

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker, callinfowl

Call Sticking After Use

Postby talkinfowl » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:28 pm

I have an RNT short barrel that I absolutely love, but after I blow it and let it sit for more than a few seconds, it sticks. It does NOT lock up while I'm calling, only when it isn't in use. It's frustrating when calling and I set it down, pick it back up and it's stuck. Like I said, I can blow it constantly for 15 minutes and it not lock up (I've done it plenty of times) but as soon as I set it down for 30 seconds and try to blow it again, it's stuck. Anything I can do to help this? Thanks!
talkinfowl
hunter

Re: Call Sticking After Use

Postby txhunter90 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:46 pm

Dont stop practicing lol. Some guys put some kind of gel or lip balm stuff ob their reeds. Maybe they will chime in
txhunter90
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:09 am

I have an Acrylic SB that does this exact same thing. I was thinking about calling RNT and seeing what they recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby Dbishop311 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:56 am

I know what they will recommend. Send that "new" call back so they can get it right, the second time.
No contest ring. No gimmicks. No compromising. It’s just pure, raw, balls-to-the-wall, don’t tell your mother, most powerful, non-nuclear duck calling machine on the planet.This call may not be for everyone. But if you can drive it, Game over......
Dbishop311
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:54 am

Dont ever use anything on your tone board, rain x chapstick etc...Only leads to more crap building up in there later on. Try changing your cork, and spitting less. You have to literally train yourself not to spit.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby talkinfowl » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:09 am

I was in RNT week before last and butch changed the cork and reed for me. I've actually never had this problem until a couple weeks ago. I'll call Butch and see what he thinks.
talkinfowl
hunter

Postby talkinfowl » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:16 am

By the way, when Butch cut me a new reed, he cut it ONE TIME and it was perfect. Didn't have to trim it at all after he cut it the first time. I just found that pretty amazing haha the guy's a wizard working on those things.
talkinfowl
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:45 am

Here's the deal. ALL duck calls stick. What's happening is that you are giving that reed time to sit and have your spit create a lock between reed and tone board. Just flick the reed between using it
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:33 pm

^^^ This^^^
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby talkinfowl » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:47 pm

Thanks Trevor, I definitely wasn't trying to imply that just RNTs stick. Thanks for the info though, makes sense.
talkinfowl
hunter

Postby rookielabtrainer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:47 pm

On my daisy cutter I lightly scuffed the tone tone board, it made a world of difference. I got the idea from my shot caller that came that way new. Also your fist sound should be a nasty raspy hen mallard quack and that should unstick it. If its a double start runin a single. And swallow don't spit

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
rookielabtrainer
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:07 am

I would urge you not to play around with the tome board, unless you have had experience sanding one. It has the potential to drastically change the way your call runs. If that is your last option, send it to the shop with a note asking them to call you so you can explain the issue.

If you do what Trevor says, it will help with the problem. Pop the reed when you are done working birds, use your call with the tone board up/reed down and try to control your spit.

Also have a back up on your string.

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby talkinfowl » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:06 am

I'm don't have the guts to mess with the tone board haha. If anything I'll let butch do it.
talkinfowl
hunter

Postby Xtuthdr » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:30 am

Trevor Shannahan wrote:Here's the deal. ALL duck calls stick. What's happening is that you are giving that reed time to sit and have your spit create a lock between reed and tone board. Just flick the reed between using it

Trevor is one of those who repeat the old montra "All duck calls stick". He doesn't mean to be wrong about it but the real truth is that he or the others who say that are just wrong and they don't know that they are wrong.
It is not only possible to make a stick proof call, I have a call tha will not stick unless you try to stick it by d oing things that would never be done except to try to stick it.
I also will always refund purchase price for anyone who buys one of my calls and doen't like it for. Any reason.
Xtuthdr
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:43 pm

I'll believe it when I see it.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby Icelander513 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:07 pm

SPatrick wrote:I'll believe it when I see it.

Doc's calls are the real deal, kid. Toe the line; he's been making top quality calls for longer than you've been alive. And, they don't stick.
Icelander513
hunter

Postby puppypopper » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:09 pm

This is why Zink rebuilt their tone board with an air pocket infront of the reed. The air helps lift the reed off of the tone board when it wants to stick. If you look at the picture you can see the cut out right under the front of the reed. Zink did not solve the problem of sticking , he just put a bandaid on it.

Now granted I did have a call that I would stick. I took a dremel tool and removed some of the tone board to the outsides of where the reed sits. I marked off where the reed was and cut out slots on each side. This did not in any way change the way the call sounds. I did get yelled at by the call maker, but he ended up telling me " Hey if it works ". That solved it for me. Now granted I don't drowned a call like I used to, but still . I know proper air is proper air, but not everyone is going to hit it right everytime. Everyone gets amped up when the birds are coming in. Or atleast I still do.

puppypopper
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:36 pm

Who makes that call?
mayhem96
hunter

Postby puppypopper » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:39 pm

Hmm your in NC, who do you think ? And yes, he did chew my butt out for that, but hey it works.
puppypopper
hunter

Postby Xtuthdr » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:06 am

Here is how you can see it. get hold of one of my calls with the newest mod that I make and I promise you that you will learn something you don't know now. :hi: :thumbsup:
Last edited by Xtuthdr on Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xtuthdr
hunter

Postby Xtuthdr » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:19 am

mg]http://cdn.firespring.com/images/f434c9f3-886c-4116-b660-df00f1e73d72.jpg[/img]

Now granted I did have a call that I would stick. I took a dremel tool and removed some of the tone board to the outsides of where the reed sits. I marked off where the reed was and cut out slots on each side. This did not in any way change the way the call sounds. I did get yelled at by the call maker, but he ended up telling me " Hey if it works ". That solved it for me. Now granted I don't drowned a call like I used to, but still . I know proper air is proper air, but not everyone is going to hit it right everytime. Everyone gets amped up when the birds are coming in. Or atleast I still do.

Image[/quote]

This looks a lot like how I make my Mod.......Good Job!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Xtuthdr
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:24 am

Xtuthdr wrote:

Here is how you can see it. get hold of one of my calls with the newest mod that I make and I promise you that you will learn something you don't know now. :hi: :thumbsup:

Put your money where your mouth is and send Shaun one of your calls...

Let him try to stick it. If it is what you claim, Shaun will be fair, and you may sell a few more calls to DHC members based off of his "review"...

Or, if you are not so confident, don't send him one and we will all think your yella'... :hammer:

:grooving:

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby Xtuthdr » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:56 am

Gunnysway wrote:
Xtuthdr wrote:

Put your money where your mouth is and send Shaun one of your calls...

Let him try to stick it. If it is what you claim, Shaun will be fair, and you may sell a few more calls to DHC members based off of his "review"...

Or, if you are not so confident, don't send him one and we will all think your yella'... :hammer:

:grooving:

I really don't often respond to a dumb as post like yours, but I will splain to you that it is not up to me to prove to you or anyone else by furnishing free stuff.
I offer money back for anyone who doesn't like the way my call operates.
Even you can figure that out.....maybe? :hi: :grooving:

dumb
Xtuthdr
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:15 am

:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

Got it... you're the sensitive type that gets puffy chested about your "awesome non-sticking calls" yet, when pressed, you come back with that fantastic response. :clapping:

Your girdle must be on a little tight. It's effecting your ability to back up your statements with big boy responses. A true class act you are not. My response was tongue-in-cheek... Hence the :hammer: and the :grooving:

But seeing as you are clearly menstruating, and could use a cosmopolitan, I won't hold it against you. I wish you well on selling the non-stickiest, non stick call on the market. :bow:

Oh... and try not to get blood on anything... It's just embarrassing... :lol3:

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:30 am

A Doc's DD-1 rides in the #1 drop on my lanyard. I won't get into the "every call will stick" debate but I will say that it will take a whole bunch of moisture without even a hint of sticking.
clampdaddy
hunter

Next

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum