Question for competition callers

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

Question for competition callers

Postby berettaarms92 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:44 pm

Hey everyone,

I have been batting around the idea of entering a calling contest just to see how I would do. My question for yall is if I will be docked points for doing a cut feed instead of a rolling feed call. I have never been able to do the rolling feed no matter how hard I try or how much I practice. I am a pretty good caller as I took over calling while hunting at least 7 or 8 years ago, and I practice constantly. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Jacob
berettaarms92
hunter

Re: Question for competition callers

Postby T.C. Bolding » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:35 pm

Meat comps you will be fine with a cut feed.
It's best to have both actually. a cut feed will work and make it sound realistic but you just need a rolling feed just to show that you can do it. And that is exactly what trey Crawford said.
T.C. Bolding
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:05 pm

You will most likely get cut if you enter a Mainstreet contest and do a cut feed. But, for a Meat contest it will be fine. If you are interested, shoot me a PM. I am in Burlington, NC. I would be willing to help you learn the ropes :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby T.C. Bolding » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:46 pm

A broken feed is good for mainstreet. Not a cut feed. Sorry for saying cut feed in my first post.
T.C. Bolding
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:57 pm

For mainstreet you want a cutting feed transitioned into a rolling feed. For meat you go straight cut, you can mix in little bursts of rolling if you want, but you won't get cut for not doing it
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby berettaarms92 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:18 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I worded my post wrong in saying that I can't do a rolling feed, I can only do a few seconds of rolling feed. Before I start to get tongue tied. I was thinking I would mix the two together in my routine. Mayhem I will definitely pm you soon, I live in Bath, but I go to State.

Thanks again

Jacob
berettaarms92
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:15 am

Trevor Shannahan wrote:For mainstreet you want a cutting feed transitioned into a rolling feed. For meat you go straight cut, you can mix in little bursts of rolling if you want, but you won't get cut for not doing it

what he said, cut into a roll in MS. Mainly a cut with a few short bursts of a roll in meat but I would say no roll longer a couple seconds.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum