*Help* Wood call stuck together

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker, callinfowl

*Help* Wood call stuck together

Postby Baher20018 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:24 pm

I have an echo timber and it had swelled shut on me before I could take it apart. I got it apart by putting a wood dowel rod inside the barrel end and lightly tapping the insert with the rod and hammer until it came loose. My problem is the insert is swollen to where it will not fit easy in the barrel without getting stuck when the call is properly assembled. What should I do?
Baher20018
hunter

Re: *Help* Wood call stuck together

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:31 pm

Put both the barrel and insert in the freezer for 15-30 minutes. The warm moisture causes the wood to expand. The cold air in the freezer will cause the wood to shrink back down :thumbsup:

The call is Hedge, isn't it?
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Baher20018 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:57 am

mayhem96 wrote:Put both the barrel and insert in the freezer for 15-30 minutes. The warm moisture causes the wood to expand. The cold air in the freezer will cause the wood to shrink back down :thumbsup:

The call is Hedge, isn't it?

Yes the call is hedge. I will try that thanks for the help.
Baher20018
hunter

Postby Fowl-Attitude » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:11 pm

I do not agree with the above information. You need to let the call dry out, leave the call a part until it fits back together as it should. The freeze method he described may be good to get a call apart....but most cases if it is really swollen that won't even help. Wood is a lot more delicate that acrylic and I suggest air drying until they fit back together easily so you don't break or crack anything. In the future after you hunt a wood call take it a part once your home and let it dry in a safe spot in the house( avoid anything like a heater or mantle where it would get more heat). JMO.
Callum Close .... then CRUSHUM!!!!
Fowl-Attitude
hunter

Postby Baher20018 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:04 pm

Fowl-Attitude wrote:I do not agree with the above information. You need to let the call dry out, leave the call a part until it fits back together as it should. The freeze method he described may be good to get a call apart....but most cases if it is really swollen that won't even help. Wood is a lot more delicate that acrylic and I suggest air drying until they fit back together easily so you don't break or crack anything. In the future after you hunt a wood call take it a part once your home and let it dry in a safe spot in the house( avoid anything like a heater or mantle where it would get more heat). JMO.

I could not get the call open after a hunt. I do open my calls after a hunt. The timber has been inside for a week and I still have the same problem.
Baher20018
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:39 am

Fowl-Attitude wrote:I do not agree with the above information. You need to let the call dry out, leave the call a part until it fits back together as it should. The freeze method he described may be good to get a call apart....but most cases if it is really swollen that won't even help. Wood is a lot more delicate that acrylic and I suggest air drying until they fit back together easily so you don't break or crack anything. In the future after you hunt a wood call take it a part once your home and let it dry in a safe spot in the house( avoid anything like a heater or mantle where it would get more heat). JMO.

Spot on,freezer trick works well for acrylics,but low heat and time to dry out the wood call is what is needed.
As mentioned when ever I use a wood call for hunting as soon as I'm done I take the call apart and hang it to dry out back at home.
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby Baher20018 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:31 am

I left the call open hanging in a dry area of the house and it is starting to get better.
Baher20018
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum