wood duck calls

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker, callinfowl

wood duck calls

Postby rainingwoodies25 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:11 pm

What are some preferred wood duck calls you wood duck hunters out there .... I am new to the sport , I am hunting in a swamp feed by big pond , there are plenty of woodies in there , I have a big lake wood duck call but I have a friend of mine that says it sounds to high pitched ....... what are some of your favorite calls and techniques to calling wood ducks ...
Any thing will help
Thanks in advance
Nick
rainingwoodies25
Newb

Re: wood duck calls

Postby KyMike » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:11 am

I bought a Kelly Kalls wood duck call. I could not be happier. It sounds incredible and has a second exhaust port so you can even more ducks out of the call. I will basically use the standard call and fast chatter varying the pitch and cadence to sound like multiple ducks. YouTube is a good place to start.
KyMike
hunter

Postby puppypopper » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:16 am

X2 on Kelly's. He built me one out of a sick piece burl.

You have two type of wood duck calls. One with a JC reed and one with a Mylar reed. Each makes a different pitch. As bad as I hate to say it, but the Duck Commander's wood call is really good to. Now granted for most will say that calling wood ducks is and is not done. The most will say that good motion will do better than good calling. From what I have found is that with good motion and the RIGHT CALLING will help . Most of what is taught about calling wood ducks is the flying sound not the sitting sounds.

Good luck.
puppypopper
hunter

Postby kyduckhunter37 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:35 pm

Definitely agree with both of them. I'm on Addicted Calls Pro-Staff for/with Kelly and he makes an awesome wood duck call. Very easy and simple to use and sounds great. Give him a call...tell him I sent you. My name is Adam
kyduckhunter37
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:41 am

Kelly made me a matched set wood duck call and whistle years ago. Its awesome to see how much more popular they've grown since then. Absolutely love mine.

The Muddy Paws woodie call is cool too. Sounds similar to Kellys call.

If you don't care what it looks like, the Haydels WW-81 isn't bad either, or the previously mentioned Duck Commander call.

So... who's got the biggest wood duck call collection on the site? :hi:
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:25 pm

Muddy Paws
Allan Stanley Game Calls

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby coach_1 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:44 pm

KyMike wrote:I bought a Kelly Kalls wood duck call. I could not be happier. It sounds incredible and has a second exhaust port so you can even more ducks out of the call. I will basically use the standard call and fast chatter varying the pitch and cadence to sound like multiple ducks. YouTube is a good place to start.

^^^^THIS! Kelly makes one heck of a woodie call. Call looks and sounds awesome. You won't be disappointed.
coach_1
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum