Opinions on hunting the Echo Boss???

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker

Opinions on hunting the Echo Boss???

Postby Flogger » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:47 pm

Been thinking about getting an echo boss to hunt with on really big water and or windy days. What do you guys think? Too crisp and clean for a hunting call? I've hunted a good bit with an MVP and it proved to very useful. I was even surprised with the low end duck I could get out of it. I know I could get another MVP but I'm wanting to try the BOSS. So what's the scoop. Looking for any feedback I can get. Thanks!!
Flogger
hunter

Re: Opinions on hunting the Echo Boss???

Postby DirtyRic » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:53 am

Here on the Great Lakes, a BOSS and MVP can be extremely useful on windy days and ducks are up high. If you consistently hunt big water, I will say for sure get one. But if your more of a marsh to medium lake guy most of the time, I wouldn't bother unless I picked up a used one to hunt with...
fowlhunter wrote:If it decoys chances are it's not leaving!
DirtyRic
hunter

Postby Flogger » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:56 am

DirtyRic wrote:Here on the Great Lakes, a BOSS and MVP can be extremely useful on windy days and ducks are up high. If you consistently hunt big water, I will say for sure get one. But if your more of a marsh to medium lake guy most of the time, I wouldn't bother unless I picked up a used one to hunt with...

Thanks for the feedback my friend. This will be my first year back on big water and I definitely want to get a screamer of a call. I just want the screamer to have some bottom end duck as I'm not a fan of switching calls mid swing. I haven't messed with the boss much and was wondering if it had the same bottom end capabilities of the MVP?

You hunt the great lakes huh? I bet the weather gets ripe up there? If you don't mind me asking, what call do you use to break off long distance/high flyers?? Thanks again for your response!
Flogger
hunter

Postby DirtyRic » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:00 pm

Recently switched over to a Field Proven Shot Caller (Fields single reed call) for breaking birds down. I can ring this call, but it has just enough duck left in the bottom to finish the birds. I should mention tho, I switch a to a double reed to finish birds most of the time. Just like using multiple calls, so it's not that a louder call (MVP, BOSS, etc…) won't finish the job...
fowlhunter wrote:If it decoys chances are it's not leaving!
DirtyRic
hunter

Postby Flogger » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:13 pm

I got the boss in mail today. I acquired it in a trade and it came with two inserts. I'm really surprised at how well it can get down on the low end stuff. I think it's going to make a heck of a hunting call on big water. Anyway just wanted to let folks know in case they were entertaining the idea of hunting with a mainstreet call.
Flogger
hunter

Postby Greenhead Rocker » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:17 pm

I'm gonna give the refuge bus ticket a run this season, but my nvictus is call #1 on the string. Switching out the bus ticket and an acorn shaker to pair with it depending on my situation and location.
Greenhead Rocker
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum