Tuning Question

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: Mallyard, okiequacker, stumpjumper, callinfowl

Tuning Question

Postby Lazy K » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:49 am

I see where many models of calls are available as a single or double reed. Call Girl, Stranglehold, etc. So my question is, can any double reed be converted to a single reed and still sound good? Assuming it sounded good as a double. lol Specifically, I need a reed kit for my Echo DRT. If I put a single reed in that call will it run like a regular Timber? May be a question for Echo but wondered what you all know about that?

My second question, and I'm just curious, how different are all the reeds being used by the many different manufacturers? I realize how they trim them will be different but is there a wide variety of thicknesses, lengths, material, etc. when it comes to reeds or do many calls have the exact same reeds?

New to tuning but it really interests me. Thanks!
Lazy K
hunter

Re: Tuning Question

Postby tsamp » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:11 am

You can make a double into a single, you just gonna need a thicker wedge to make up for the missing reed. If you want to learn tuning calls pick up like 10 reeds from someplace like pintail waterfowl or reeds from a major call maker. But get un trimmed reeds and trim them on your own, a lil at a time! Trim and try is what you gotta do. Try as in hit the call a couple times. Once you got the read trimmed down to level then comes dog earing the call. You can do a lil or a lot just depends on how raspy you like it. YouTube can also aid you with some instruction as well. Tuning is tedious but rewarding when you get the call just right.
tsamp
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:10 pm

Not always...some doubles don't run good as singles just because of the way they are set up.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby codypeterson » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:34 pm

I'm also curious about the second question. Are all reeds created equally? Can I put a echo reed in a c&s call and not have any issues?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
codypeterson
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:42 pm

codypeterson wrote:I'm also curious about the second question. Are all reeds created equally? Can I put a echo reed in a c&s call and not have any issues?

Yes,it's just a strip of mylar.
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby jrode237 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:28 am

ColoradoGooser wrote:
codypeterson wrote:I'm also curious about the second question. Are all reeds created equally? Can I put a echo reed in a c&s call and not have any issues?

Yes,it's just a strip of mylar.[/quote
Agreed for the most part. However, making sure it is a reed of the same thickness (generally .010 for the majority of Arkansas style single reed calls and .014 for essentially every Cuttdown) will have a drastic effect on how the call runs. The reed width can also change the way a call runs but the majority of makers are close enough to each other to be interchangeable (Lares is the exception I know of in using a wider than "normal" reed).
jrode237
hunter

Postby codypeterson » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:55 pm

Good info. Thank you

codypeterson
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum