Timber call vs cutdown

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: Mallyard, stumpjumper, okiequacker, callinfowl

Timber call vs cutdown

Postby tnhunter42 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:42 pm

Excuse my possible ignorance, but I'm confused. Call companies like Echo and RNT have the Timber and Timber Hawg to be used in flooded timber. These calls are both characterized by being softer, mellowed calls usually preferred in wood. People use these in timber, obviously. At the same time, you have people that use cutdowns in the timber which are typically characterized by being almost the exact opposite of the previously mentioned timber style calls. What gives? Why the polar opposites? If the cutdown view is true, then how can ducks hear timber calls over a cutdown?
tnhunter42
hunter
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 8:14 pm


Re: Timber call vs cutdown

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:19 am

There are opposite views because people's capabilities, beliefs and experiences differ. And ducks aren't going to hear a small-bored timber call over a cutdown unless they're a whole lot closer to it.

This could prove an "interesting" thread.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 12822
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: Timber call vs cutdown

Postby Dbishop311 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:01 am

Soft calls in the Timber are a thing of the past. Granted some days the ducks might respond to a softer call. Its all about the dolla bills. Selling points
No contest ring. No gimmicks. No compromising. It’s just pure, raw, balls-to-the-wall, don’t tell your mother, most powerful, non-nuclear duck calling machine on the planet.This call may not be for everyone. But if you can drive it, Game over......
User avatar
Dbishop311
hunter
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:16 am

Re: Timber call vs cutdown

Postby tnhunter42 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:34 am

Rick, I'm hoping it does. Just wanted to stir up some discussion :thumbsup: :umm:
tnhunter42
hunter
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 8:14 pm

Re: Timber call vs cutdown

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:15 pm

Different strokes. At the club I shoot its all big water and most of the old timers swear by using a quiet call because the sound travels so far.
User avatar
clampdaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 3359
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Where spoonies go to die

Re: Timber call vs cutdown

Postby Bryce_Decker » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:58 pm

I've never understood the premise of a timber call personally...I guess guys that only call at ducks super close came up with the idea, or were trying to develop a "finishing" call (whatever that means). I personally prefer the cutdown over anything in public woods.
Bryce_Decker
hunter
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:10 pm

Re: Timber call vs cutdown

Postby tnhunter42 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:58 pm

Used to I was in favor of a finisher call thinking that I'd blow the ducks out of the hole with the call I started them on, but I've started getting further and further from that. It just seems to me the the louder call I started them on works just fine all the way thru.
tnhunter42
hunter
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 8:14 pm

Re: Timber call vs cutdown

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:52 pm

Bryce_Decker wrote:I've never understood the premise of a timber call personally...I guess guys that only call at ducks super close came up with the idea, or were trying to develop a "finishing" call (whatever that means). I personally prefer the cutdown over anything in public woods.


A finishing call would be something that can get quiet to finish the birds when they are close and something that you can use without blowing the ducks out.

Learn to read the birds and you will see what works. Sometimes birds want a loud call and sometimes they want a quiet call.
mayhem96
hunter
 
Posts: 1820
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:54 pm
Location: Burlington, NC

Re: Timber call vs cutdown

Postby Greenhead Rocker » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:45 am

mayhem96 wrote:
Bryce_Decker wrote:I've never understood the premise of a timber call personally...I guess guys that only call at ducks super close came up with the idea, or were trying to develop a "finishing" call (whatever that means). I personally prefer the cutdown over anything in public woods.


A finishing call would be something that can get quiet to finish the birds when they are close and something that you can use without blowing the ducks out.

Learn to read the birds and you will see what works. Sometimes birds want a loud call and sometimes they want a quiet call.


Just a guess here, but I'm guessing Bryce Decker knows how to read ducks pretty good and from what I understand, HIS black monster cut down duck calls are pretty hard on ducks in the woods. I do t personally own one but will someday soon.
User avatar
Greenhead Rocker
hunter
 
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Timber call vs cutdown

Postby mayhem96 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:46 am

Greenhead Rocker wrote:
mayhem96 wrote:
Bryce_Decker wrote:I've never understood the premise of a timber call personally...I guess guys that only call at ducks super close came up with the idea, or were trying to develop a "finishing" call (whatever that means). I personally prefer the cutdown over anything in public woods.


A finishing call would be something that can get quiet to finish the birds when they are close and something that you can use without blowing the ducks out.

Learn to read the birds and you will see what works. Sometimes birds want a loud call and sometimes they want a quiet call.


Just a guess here, but I'm guessing Bryce Decker knows how to read ducks pretty good and from what I understand, HIS black monster cut down duck calls are pretty hard on ducks in the woods. I do t personally own one but will someday soon.


Was not referring to Bryce. Was referring to the OP.
mayhem96
hunter
 
Posts: 1820
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:54 pm
Location: Burlington, NC

Re: Timber call vs cutdown

Postby Greenhead Rocker » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:49 am

Gotcha. Just saw that you quoted him in your post.
User avatar
Greenhead Rocker
hunter
 
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Timber call vs cutdown

Postby Justin Weber » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:02 am

I like a loud call for every type of waterfowl hunting. Their are some days where a soft call proves its worth though. Having both on your lanyard isn't a bad idea. I go to my Daisy Cutter about 80% of the time. I don't hunt timber that often but its the same concept as any other scenario. I don't have a so called "Timber Call" and ducks don't seem to mind.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:42 pm
Location: Wisconsin


Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests