What is a good call?

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: Mallyard, okiequacker, stumpjumper, callinfowl

What is a good call?

Postby Live to Hunt & Fish » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:59 pm

I have a $20 wal-mart black ice call. I have hunted with it for my first 2 years of duck hunting. I am ready to get a better call. I want a call that is easy to blow and isn't outrageously priced. I am interested in starting goose hunting this next season. Does anyone know what would be a good , effective and not to exspensive beginner call would be? (I want a canda goose call)
Live to Hunt & Fish
hunter

Postby Chris_Hustad » Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:26 pm

Start with a call that won't break your bank, but be patient and take the time to blow it and learn.

I recommend a Heartland X-Out or a Foiles Meatgrinder (both run around $60 retail), but there's tons of good calls on the market.
Chris_Hustad
Site Admin

Postby Illinois-Ducker » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:08 pm

Hey

Although i dont call with a foiles, dont get me wrong, there great calls, i believe it would be more effective if you started off witha call that doesnt take much to break and is a lot less expensive than foiles. Big river has a couple nice calls that will run you about 20 to 25 depending on what kind. I still hunt with these calls and still manage to bring in my share of the birds. For duck calls, i have about 6 because i like the variety. My newest and favorite is the Primos PHAT LADY. It does the feeding chuckle perfect for me.. Try it out, i think you'll like it.

Hunting is ALMOST here
Illinois-Ducker
State Moderator

Thanx

Postby Live to Hunt & Fish » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:40 pm

Hey I appreciate the tips on what kinds of calls to get. But I have a question for the illinois-ducker or anyone else that has an opinion on it. What kind of Big River goose call do I need? I want a call that I can do a lot of things with and be able to blow it easily. Do I need a long or a short call. When you were talking about the fat lady , you were talking about the molded call and not the acrylic right? thanx.
Live to Hunt & Fish
hunter

Postby Chris_Hustad » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:38 am

This is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth.

I used to use a Big River long honker back in the day, and I did do very well with it. However, since I transitioned to a short reed I'd never go back. I'm able to get a much much wider vocubulary with a short reed, but a short reed will take a lot more practice. I'm not saying you can't get a wide range with a flute, I just don't have enough air in my lungs to do it and the Big River did take a lot.

Get a middle priced call like I mentioned, look into buying the "Shawn Stahl Honker Talk" video and you'll be amazing your friends by the fall. But like I said, it takes A LOT of practice.

Good luck!
Chris_Hustad
Site Admin

Postby duckkiller7 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:58 pm

My suggestion is stick with ol'faithful. Learn to blow the modified flute. The short reeds do sound better AT TIMES, but thats what everyone else is blowing around ya. I like to have that different sound from everyone else. If you are able to get good on a flute, you can do almost everything/anything on one. Chances are too, if you are hunting with a friend or buddy, they are probalbly blowing a short reed. Be the different odd ball in the pit. The only problem with the Big River is that they are to mono tone for my taste. I blow a modified Olt A-50 and love it. I like the abilty to get real low, and then back to higher and faster real easy. There are a ton of flutes to pick from, but thats just my opinion.
duckkiller7
hunter

Postby Jeepman:-) » Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:45 pm

Im sure you mean CALLS... I use about 3 different calls when I go out. 1 will be a good high baller, one a good feeder, and the other a back up. lets face it the call will always hang when the birds are cupped and coming in. Another thing is practice!!!!!!! I sit in rush hour traffic and drive people crazy :yes:
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the proper application of HIGH EXPLOSIVES!
Jeepman:-)
hunter

Postby HonkShooter » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:56 pm

Hey, I don't mean to steal this topic or anything, but I was just wondering if any of you guys have ever tried any Haydel goose calls or the Tim Grounds 'Guides Best' goose flute. Just trying to find a good one. Thanks.
No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often.
-Teddy Roosevelt
HonkShooter
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:53 pm

Haydel makes great calls that won't put a hurt on your wallet. I first made the move to a short reed with one of their calls. I was never able to get it low enough for MY taste and have since moved on to short reeds by other makers.
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby Illinois-Ducker » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:09 pm

Whoops, sorry live to hunt and fish, i didnt see that you posted that. The big river flute is pretty good with different variety of calls, of course, goose calling isnt my specialty, but i guess its not my worst either. I love to use it cause i can cluck and give comeback calls with hardly any air
Illinois-Ducker
State Moderator

Postby Keith S. » Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:41 pm

I've been buying calls for many years, but last year I got a Carlson Equalizer and I will never have to buy another call. Very good call for $20. http://carlsoncalls.com/

For canadas, I like short reeds. I started with a H.S. Slammer, sweet little SR for $20. It comes with a good tape too. Since then I have upgraded to a Mother Clucker, awesome awesome call.http://www.waterfowlersoutpost.com/
Keith S.
hunter

Re: What is a good call?

Postby canhunter » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:20 pm

[quote="Live to Hunt & Fish"]I have a $20 wal-mart black ice call. I have hunted with it for my first 2 years of duck hunting. I am ready to get a better call. I want a call that is easy to blow and isn't outrageously priced. I am interested in starting goose hunting this next season. Does anyone know what would be a good , effective and not to exspensive beginner call would be? (I want a canda goose call)[/quote] try one of those homemade calls by les!
canhunter
hunter

Postby canhunter » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:22 pm

[quote="HonkShooter"]Hey, I don't mean to steal this topic or anything, but I was just wondering if any of you guys have ever tried any Haydel goose calls or the Tim Grounds 'Guides Best' goose flute. Just trying to find a good one. Thanks.[/trust me, DO NOT GET A NIGHT&GALE CALL. they SUCK!!!]
canhunter
hunter

Postby okiequacker » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:46 am

Like a really old and wise duck hunter told me once when asked about the best call to buy: " Son, If you are a really great caller, it doesn't matter....and if you can't call a lick, it doesn't matter" My advice....every call sounds different when different people blow it. That is mainly because we all have different sounding vocal cords. Get a decent priced call that has a good overall review....then.....PRACTICE!
Tom Cook
Born and raised in Arkansas flooded timber!
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby okiequacker » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:39 pm

(formally okiequacker) By a P.S. Olt D-2 cut-down. Learn to blow it. Ducks will come!
Tom Cook
Born and raised in Arkansas flooded timber!
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

A good goose call

Postby Take em' » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:45 pm

Live to hunt and fish

I have a Foils Migrators "Streight Meat Honker" short reed and i love it. It is easy to blow. If you use a lot of flute calls you will hate it. But when you get to learn how to blow it, it is a charm. I dont know how much you were going to spend but it is on the expensive side. I paid 150 for mine. The good thing about it is that you can send it back to them and they will fix anything on the call. Reed replacement, re tune it, and polish it.
Take em'
hunter

Postby winchesterx2 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:42 pm

there are a lot of cheap calls out there that sound more like a duck than the more expensive ones. :cool:
Delat waterfowl member, Father to the future of hunting and church member.
winchesterx2
hunter

Postby doodaa » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:46 pm

Give Primos a try, or even Duck Commander... they have several calls that sound great and won't bust your wallet... another great sounding call that I picked up last season was one from RNT, but don't jump to conclusions on the cost... it was their polymer j-frame Quackhead model... for $25 you get good a budget-making call that sounds great...

I have blown several brands and types of duck calls, and it seems like each season I always find one that I think sounds better, and blows easier than my current "favorite"... but the best duck call on the market is the one you have the most confidence in, and feel the most comfortable using in the blind... I try to pick up a few new calls prior to each duck season, just to see what makes them think they're better than other call companies... after all my "research" (at least that's what I tell my wife) I have found that, yeah, each call brand has its subtle differences... but the best way to make a call sound great, is to practice, practice, practice... :thumbsup:
The hunting might not be that great, but the company is hard to beat...
doodaa
Newb

Re: What is a good call?

Postby duckbuster » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:04 pm

[quote="Live to Hunt & Fish"]I have a $20 wal-mart black ice call. I have hunted with it for my first 2 years of duck hunting. I am ready to get a better call. I want a call that is easy to blow and isn't outrageously priced. I am interested in starting goose hunting this next season. Does anyone know what would be a good , effective and not to exspensive beginner call would be? (I want a canda goose call)[/quote]
Hey this is duckbuster from southdakota where its all about cold hunting....the best begginer goose call is from big river game calls its a goose flute and its camo colored.....easy to blow and works well.....ive had mine for 2 years and it has out done some of my friends expensive calls....need any more duck or goose call info just hit me back
duckbuster
hunter

Postby rhotard » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:12 pm

I use a Haydel "Red Leg", the Haydel DR-85 and an Echo that I bought last year. I like all three in different situations....as for geese .....specks that is....the only call worth mentioning is the Chein Caille....(pronounced SHANE KAI) french for spotted dog. This call is made by a fella named Mervis Saltzman from Geuydan, Louisiana. It's hard to blow and takes time to master but once you figure it out you'll never blow anything else.
rhotard
Newb

Postby IL_Hunter » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:31 am

The Haydel DR-85 is a good call that won't empty your wallet. Get the one that comes with the instructional tape. I have been blowing that call for a few years. Just don't drop it in the blind and step on it like I did.
Duck Blinds - The summer home of freakishly large common water snakes.
IL_Hunter
hunter

Postby malard_man » Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:47 pm

i'll throw in my .02 for anyone who cares. my dad has hunted ducks for about 40 years and the only call i ever remember him carrying was a mallardtone m-5. i can't remember ever coming back empty handed of all the times i tagged along as a little kid. of course that is the call i blow today. i have freinds who blow the high end acrylic calls that run 100 bucks or more, and i have found that when i practice with my 14 dollar call the ducks respond to it better than the expensive ones. the bottom line is that buying an expensive call won't do anything if you don't practice. as for goose calls i have found the big river long honker flute to be a great call-easy blowing and realistic(as long as you practice). i don't like bragging but with my big river i once called a few geese into shooting range with no decoys out within a couple hundred yards. they circled a few times and i managed to drop one(no they weren't stupid juveniles-the one i shot weighed 13 pounds). now thats a good call. again just my .02
malard_man
hunter

Postby BLUE DUCK » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:39 pm

If you have your calling down pat then I highly recommend Commanders BROWN SUGAR. If you are still shaky on a call then you need to stick with simpler calls like Haydels DR-85 or their variable tone. My personal go to call is the BROWN SUGAR. It has a sexy sound and it really turns those greenheads on.
BLUE DUCK
hunter

Postby weedsnager » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:38 pm

winglock walnut for $34 (geese), and duck commander for ducks, cheap and affective.
weedsnager
hunter

Postby QUACKHEAD » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:46 pm

doodaa all the way, the j-frame quack head is the way to go for a great call for the money, and for a beginner. Although i was at cabelas for the hunting expo and ran across the rnt rep. and he introduced me to the timber, what a sweet call :thumbsup: but a little more expensive. For now stick with the j-frame and have fun. As for short reed goose calls i am looking for a new one to.
A bad day in the feild beats a good day at work, ANY TIME!
QUACKHEAD
Membership permanently suspended

Next

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum