New Duck Hunter Advice on Call

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: Mallyard, okiequacker, stumpjumper, callinfowl

New Duck Hunter Advice on Call

Postby GMan601 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:35 pm

OK - Ive been once this year - It was pretty fun looking to start calling myself
What is a good all around sounding call or calls to get for ducks? Do I need to start with a single reed? I plan on hunting timber and open fields - thx in advance :fingerhead:
GMan601
Newb

Re: New Duck Hunter Advice on Call

Postby stumpjumper » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:49 pm

Alot of options to be honest. But here are my thoughts.
First buy 1 quality single reed duck call (A quality call will make the sounds your looking for as you grow as a caller. And yes contrary to some a quality call makes a difference) Second go to Carlson Championship Calls and buy the Calling A-Z cd and stick with it.

IF you follow the above recommendations and practice you will learn to blow a call anywhere. This DOES NOT mean your gonna call birds in as reading birds takes time in the field to learn. But being able to hit them with quality sounds will help shorten the learning curve.

Good Luck
STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GMan601 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:55 pm

what are some quality single reeds? Poly? Wood? Acrylic?
GMan601
Newb

Postby Hugatree » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:21 pm

You need to find the call that fits you and there is no easy answer for this. Get ready to waste some money.
Metamucil Elite Team
Gold Bond Medicated Lotion Pro Staff
Hugatree
hunter

Postby Hugatree » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:15 am

Here's another idea: Drive to Stuttgart, AR and go to RNT during business hours. Go to the display case and try every call. The man behind the sliding glass window tuning calls is Butch Richenback. He will help you find the call that fits you. When it needs tuning, just send it in and for a small fee, they will tune it.
Metamucil Elite Team
Gold Bond Medicated Lotion Pro Staff
Hugatree
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:39 pm

GMan601 wrote:OK - Ive been once this year - It was pretty fun looking to start calling myself
What is a good all around sounding call or calls to get for ducks? Do I need to start with a single reed? I plan on hunting timber and open fields - thx in advance :fingerhead:

I would strongly suggest sending a Pm to the first guy that responded to you. He makes some of the best sounding and lookin calls you'll find hands down.
sooner737
hunter

Postby JWIN » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:46 pm

stumpjumper wrote:Alot of options to be honest. But here are my thoughts.
First buy 1 quality single reed duck call (A quality call will make the sounds your looking for as you grow as a caller. And yes contrary to some a quality call makes a difference) Second go to Carlson Championship Calls and buy the Calling A-Z cd and stick with it.

IF you follow the above recommendations and practice you will learn to blow a call anywhere. This DOES NOT mean your gonna call birds in as reading birds takes time in the field to learn. But being able to hit them with quality sounds will help shorten the learning curve.

Good Luck
STUMP

Do everything this guys says and save some yourself the time and money of trying other calls and get one straight from rmcustomcalls.com :beer: :beer:
JWIN
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum