CUTDOWN SUGGESTIONS

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker, callinfowl

CUTDOWN SUGGESTIONS

Postby Josh Carlisle » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:44 am

im looking into buying a cutdown and was wondering what are some good ones that aint gonna break the bank. some of my favorites ive heard on youtube are echo calls cutdown, BSOD colt 45, and bayou meto regulator. give me some feed back on your favorite cutdown or some feedback on any of those calls mentioned early.
Josh Carlisle
hunter

Re: CUTDOWN SUGGESTIONS

Postby Hugatree » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:31 am

I am not sure where some are being molded now. I know Philip Olt IV is making his in the U.S. I would buy one of his and bide my time until I could find someone to modify it that knows what they are doing. I believe Bryce Decker and Kirk McCoullough have bowed out but others will surface when they realize a buck can be made.

The Olt calls have the larger diameter insert that the old, old hard rubber calls made from horse hooves had----Not Bakelite per Philip Olt IV. Per him, these new versions are as close to the old hard rubber as you can get.

http://www.psolt.com
Metamucil Elite Team
Gold Bond Medicated Lotion Pro Staff
Hugatree
hunter

Postby Hugatree » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:02 am

The mold used to make the inserts was used from around 1904 to 2002 when the original PS Olt company went out of business. They made the call from a rubber derived from horse hooves for years. They just kept building up that old insert mold time and again.

Later, they started making the barrels out of plastic similar to ABS. The OD of the insert and the ID of the barrel or she'll changed a time or two also. The original key hole did not have D2 stamped on the barrel. They also "Jigged" the insert which included abrasion of the top of the tone board if the insert with something similar to a file or a file itself.

The new Olt key hole cut down kit contains two unjigged inserts. The new D2k insert is Jigged. I prefer the old Jigged pre d2 hard rubber calls.
Metamucil Elite Team
Hugatree
hunter

Postby Hugatree » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:09 am

Most of you and me were not even born when the cutdown came into existence as a result of the efforts of public hunters in IL, AR and LA. It's hard to beat the original if you can find one.
Metamucil Elite Team
Hugatree
hunter

Postby puppypopper » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:13 am

I don't think Bryce has gone any where. I just got a new sound file from him the other day. His new cut is unreal. The sounds that he is getting out now are better than ever.
puppypopper
hunter

Postby XR-2 Fan » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:42 am

puppypopper wrote:I don't think Bryce has gone any where. I just got a new sound file from him the other day. His new cut is unreal. The sounds that he is getting out now are better than ever.

I'd love to hear it. Is it on YouTube? Thanks
XR-2 Fan
hunter

Postby puppypopper » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:27 am

I stand corrected, it does look like Bryce will be stepping away for a while.

Sorry the sound file on my phone. I think he did it just to tease me, it worked.
puppypopper
hunter

Postby Josh Carlisle » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:09 pm

Yea i have heard bryce deckers cuts and it does not get any more real than that. i have an old ps olt d2 that was my great uncles, and i have recently started messing around with it and its pretty ducky. i have heard some good things about the BSOD cutdowns, but im a echo calls kinda guy and i know they have recently made their own cutdown and was wondering if anybody has blown one and if its worth picking up. the bad thing where i live is there is no store around that carries a big selection of calls to try out so i have to go off of reviews and youtube videos.
Josh Carlisle
hunter

Postby Einstein » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:26 pm

Get a Decker before he hangs it up for a while. I just got mine (Arkansas Cut) and it sounds unreal. Get it before it's gone.
Einstein says: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Check out my build:
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=465930
Einstein
hunter

Postby Josh Carlisle » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:40 pm

Really leaning toward bryce's cuts but how much do they run?
Josh Carlisle
hunter

Postby Greenhead Rocker » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:02 pm

Josh Carlisle wrote:Really leaning toward bryce's cuts but how much do they run?

If he will do it, just buy an echo and have him cut it for you. Worth a shot.
Greenhead Rocker
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:51 pm

Josh Carlisle wrote:Really leaning toward bryce's cuts but how much do they run?

$40 molded, $60 hand cut
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby Bryce_Decker » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:09 am

I'm not going anywhere, just going to focus on my career come the first of the year. I'll still modify calls that are sent to me but I'm going to drastically reduce the number of calls that I personally put up for sale for a few years....priorities!
Bryce_Decker
hunter

Postby Hugatree » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:17 am

It's good to know someone competent is keeping the art of the cutdown. I was raised on a pattern even more extreme than the 45 degree angle of the Louisiana version. I prefer the AR version. If you can still get a black monster, do that. If not, get the PS Olt and let Bryce cut it for you.
Metamucil Elite Team
Hugatree
hunter

Postby Bryce_Decker » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:22 pm

Hugatree wrote:It's good to know someone competent is keeping the art of the cutdown. I was raised on a pattern even more extreme than the 45 degree angle of the Louisiana version. I prefer the AR version. If you can still get a black monster, do that. If not, get the PS Olt and let Bryce cut it for you.

Appreciate the kind words buddy. Thanks
Bryce_Decker
hunter

Postby Josh Carlisle » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:14 pm

i know it all depends on which cut fits me best but there is not a place around where i live to try one out but which has it all (pure duck, raspy, can get down on it and it wont lock up and squeal out, just nasty)
Josh Carlisle
hunter

Postby Hugatree » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:21 pm

Go with the Arkansas. It's more forgiving. Both are plenty nasty. There are only two calls I will use: Olt Cut Downs and Rich-n-Tone Daisy Cutters if that tells you anything. They're LOUD and nasty.
Metamucil Elite Team
Hugatree
hunter

Postby Einstein » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:16 pm

I only have two calls on my lanyard, a Lares Hybrid and Bryce Decker AR cut. And Bryce, I was mislead by your FB post the other day, I took it as you were stopping everything for a few years. Glad to know you'll still be around. You da man.
Einstein says: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Check out my build:
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=465930
Einstein
hunter

Postby Bryce_Decker » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:33 pm

I may not sell Monsters at all but I'll probably modify olts. May not do anything. We'll see how my job goes once I start up.
Bryce_Decker
hunter

Postby ARduckcwby » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:56 am

I'll second the AR cut. I got both AR and LA cut BM. The AR fits me better, but I'm new to cut downs and still in the learning curve. The new black river cut has me curious though. I haven't heard the sound file yet, but rumor has it that it's awesome. I'd like to pick one up, but the wife would kill me if I bought any more duck hunting stuff this year.
ARduckcwby
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:09 am

I know a call maker whose calls are Arkansas cut, countdown calls. PM me and I'll tell.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum