Cutdown Chatter/Feed

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: Mallyard, stumpjumper, okiequacker, callinfowl

Re: Cutdown Chatter/Feed

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:16 am

Not my experience. The amt of pressure and inflection with the quickness of air delivered can surely change pitch. From a slow ta,ta,ta, to a rolling tick,tick,to a tuga,tuga to a sequence with a combination of all. Can sound like different ducks if that's what looking for. I have found that there are more ways of delivering air to cutdowns than standard calls and actually getting different sounds. With any call cadence and inflection is key to different sounds.
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby cupnglide » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:18 am

Anoldhuntersc wrote:Not my experience. The amt of pressure and inflection with the quickness of air delivered can surely change pitch. From a slow ta,ta,ta, to a rolling tick,tick,to a tuga,tuga to a sequence with a combination of all. Can sound like different ducks if that's what looking for. I have found that there are more ways of delivering air to cutdowns than standard calls and actually getting different sounds. With any call cadence and inflection is key to different sounds.

^^ Agreed. By raising or dropping the tongue and changing the air pressure you can go from high squeaky feed to low guttural feed.
cupnglide
hunter

Postby Hugatree » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:21 am

It could depend on how the keyhole is cut down.
Metamucil Elite Team
Gold Bond Medicated Lotion Pro Staff
Hugatree
hunter

Postby Bryce_Decker » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:33 am

Cut downs are more versatile than people give them credit for...I try to cut my AR style calls to have as much range as most standard calls but not so much as to "ring" on the top end. You can get a very good high to low range on most cut downs out there.
Bryce_Decker
hunter

Postby KyMike » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:33 am

I agree that cutdowns are pretty versatile. They may not have as many "ducks" in the call but they still have a bunch. By changing what you bounce your sound off of you can change the sound of your call even more. I've been down the slough and could tell the difference in sound of my buddy calling at the water, trees or straight at me. That also changed the location of the duck simulating more ducks. Guess that's part of the technique. Still learning.
KyMike
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:13 pm

Anoldhuntersc wrote:Not my experience. The amt of pressure and inflection with the quickness of air delivered can surely change pitch. From a slow ta,ta,ta, to a rolling tick,tick,to a tuga,tuga to a sequence with a combination of all. Can sound like different ducks if that's what looking for. I have found that there are more ways of delivering air to cutdowns than standard calls and actually getting different sounds. With any call cadence and inflection is key to different sounds.

Here is an example of what I am talking about. The cutdown might have half as much pitch change in it as a DC that I actually have tuned up for less range, more duck. Even with hand and air changes the cutdown doesn't change pitch much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMeESm05 ... 4iKYOElxdw
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby Bryce_Decker » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:21 pm

Congratulations on proving nothing and attempting to prove something that no one cares about. :thumbsup:
Bryce_Decker
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:23 pm

Bryce_Decker wrote:Congratulations on proving nothing and attempting to prove something that no one cares about. :thumbsup:

You must be deaf
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby Bryce_Decker » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:41 pm

You blew the call in a single direction, you locked it up several times, you personally admit to not being all that handy on a cutdown, and I have no idea why you are even chiming in on something you admittedly know little about.....I'm having a hard time taking serious opinions on cutdowns from you. Just because you're unable to do something on a call doesn't mean squat. There are plenty of people who can get multiple ducks out of a cutdown. And no one cares that you're better on that other call than a cutdown....proving nothing. Everyone who has posted on this page (page 2) has a vastly different opinion than you do. Sorry :sad:
Bryce_Decker
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:38 pm

Bryce_Decker wrote:You blew the call in a single direction, you locked it up several times, you personally admit to not being all that handy on a cutdown, and I have no idea why you are even chiming in on something you admittedly know little about.....I'm having a hard time taking serious opinions on cutdowns from you. Just because you're unable to do something on a call doesn't mean squat. There are plenty of people who can get multiple ducks out of a cutdown. And no one cares that you're better on that other call than a cutdown....proving nothing. Everyone who has posted on this page (page 2) has a vastly different opinion than you do. Sorry :sad:

I blew both calls in one direction, hanging it up is from spit and has nothing to do with sound, I never said I wasn't handy on one, just that I wasn't an expert, I reserve that for the Jimbos and Kirks of the world, and honestly I have heard you blow a call and it's nothing special. I have never heard ANYBODY, even the best cutdown guys, get much range out of a cutdown. By nature they are monotone, but that one tone is a very good one

Can they kill ducks? You are darn right they can and they do it well, but to say they are as versatile or even half as versatile as a good regular call is showing that you are either deaf or too ignorant to see otherwise.

I was showing mainly in the feed that opening the hand and changing air has very minimal effect on pitch, where as in a regular call it has a huge effect.
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby Hugatree » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:51 pm

How 'bout that bouncing hen? I have bounced a coupla three for what it's worth.
Metamucil Elite Team
Hugatree
hunter

Postby Hugatree » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:56 pm

Seriously, you must find the call that fits you. Rich-n-Tones fit me. I am a nominal caller. I am decent on a cut down but it's nothing to write home about. I have heard a few that can make an Olt do amazing things. If you hunt public Timber, you better have a call that you can make scream and still sound like a duck. That's the difference getting loud and still having that low throaty dominant hen mallard sound. I can do it with a Daisy Cutter well enough to get by. It's the Indian not the arrow.
Metamucil Elite Team
Hugatree
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:06 pm

Bryce_Decker wrote:Congratulations on proving nothing and attempting to prove something that no one cares about. :thumbsup:

Really? I think Trevor did prove his point.

And for what it's worth, the J frame sounded better :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:38 pm

mayhem96 wrote:

Really? I think Trevor did prove his point.

And for what it's worth, the J frame sounded better :thumbsup:

I wasn't going for what sounded better as I really like the sound of cutdowns in certain people's hands. I just wanted to show that the notion that a cutdown is even half as versatile as a regular call is asinine, and furthermore my biggest point was that the same feed sounds much different on a cutdown and that it doesn't change tone like a regular call.

Once again, I like cutdowns and they are some duck killing sumguns, just trying to prove my point to the homers.
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:40 pm

Hugatree wrote:How 'bout that bouncing hen? I have bounced a coupla three for what it's worth.

I really never use it hunting. It's just another note in the bag of tricks that pretty much never gets used, just like a rolling feed.
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:54 pm

Hugatree wrote:How 'bout that bouncing hen? I have bounced a coupla three for what it's worth.

I like it in a comeback, I dont think it will make or break a hunt, but nice to have in the bag of tricks.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby Bryce_Decker » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:54 pm

Trevor Shannahan wrote:
Bryce_Decker wrote:You blew the call in a single direction, you locked it up several times, you personally admit to not being all that handy on a cutdown, and I have no idea why you are even chiming in on something you admittedly know little about.....I'm having a hard time taking serious opinions on cutdowns from you. Just because you're unable to do something on a call doesn't mean squat. There are plenty of people who can get multiple ducks out of a cutdown. And no one cares that you're better on that other call than a cutdown....proving nothing. Everyone who has posted on this page (page 2) has a vastly different opinion than you do. Sorry :sad:

I blew both calls in one direction, hanging it up is from spit and has nothing to do with sound, I never said I wasn't handy on one, just that I wasn't an expert, I reserve that for the Jimbos and Kirks of the world, and honestly I have heard you blow a call and it's nothing special. I have never heard ANYBODY, even the best cutdown guys, get much range out of a cutdown. By nature they are monotone, but that one tone is a very good one

Can they kill ducks? You are darn right they can and they do it well, but to say they are as versatile or even half as versatile as a good regular call is showing that you are either deaf or too ignorant to see otherwise.

I was showing mainly in the feed that opening the hand and changing air has very minimal effect on pitch, where as in a regular call it has a huge effect.

Never claimed to be anything special on a duck call....but the ducks sure do seem to like what I do. I modify/make calls that kill ducks, not calls that impress toolbags. Most of the guys who've commented on here are more than happy with the range and results they get from their cutdowns. I doubt they care what you have to say about the subject, like all the other subjects you seem to chime in with your smart a** opinions.
Bryce_Decker
hunter

Postby Hugatree » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:40 pm

Pardon my attempt at a little levity as in " bouncing hens " bah dump bump chee. I'm here all week.
I wouldn't know how to bounce a hen on a duck call to save my life.
Metamucil Elite Team
Hugatree
hunter

Postby Hugatree » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:58 pm

Here's the deal: not everyone can run a cutdown they way they can and should be run. It was a hard pill for me to swallow but i
fall in the cant category but like one of Clint Eastwood's characters once said: "A man has to know his limitations". As good as cut downs are, they are not for everybody. If you can't run one properly, do t sweat it. There a plenty of options out there. Now don't confuse this with that "size doesn't matter" speech your mom gave you when your were little. I am sorry to inform you she was lying to you. Have a nice day.
Metamucil Elite Team
Hugatree
hunter

Postby KyMike » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:29 am

No doubt TS can make the J frame sing. The vid did prove that. But that cutdown was still much louder and I think duckier than the J frame. Not as many ducks just more boss hens. I don't know of many J frames that can get near as loud as the cutdowns and stay that ducky. Committed Custom Calls comes the closest that I can recall.
KyMike
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:50 am

All right! We got us some name calling going. There's hope for this cutdown thread yet.

(I'm in the "can't get as much range, just different" camp.)
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:26 am

Rick Hall wrote:All right! We got us some name calling going. There's hope for this cutdown thread yet.

(I'm in the "can't get as much range, just different" camp.)

Yes Rick ,there is always hope.
I'm going to go and pop a large bowl of corn and get a good tall cold drink as this one has potential. :thumbsup:
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:55 am

KyMike wrote:No doubt TS can make the J frame sing. The vid did prove that. But that cutdown was still much louder and I think duckier than the J frame. Not as many ducks just more boss hens. I don't know of many J frames that can get near as loud as the cutdowns and stay that ducky. Committed Custom Calls comes the closest that I can recall.

When I her ducks I actually hear higher pitched than most calls especially cutdowns 90% of the time. Young hens are more vocal and generally not that raspy either. So no I wouldn't say it's actually duckier, it just fits more into what we have been conditioned to think is ducky.

I can also tell you that the regular call that's on my lanyard is just as loud as that cutdown, has twice as much versatility, and makes ducks do stupid things.
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby Dbishop311 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:20 am

Theyd have to be stupid to listen to you :clapping: What a good quality thread. Everyone needs a good reamin every now and again.
No contest ring. No gimmicks. No compromising. It’s just pure, raw, balls-to-the-wall, don’t tell your mother, most powerful, non-nuclear duck calling machine on the planet.This call may not be for everyone. But if you can drive it, Game over......
Dbishop311
hunter

Postby KyMike » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:03 pm

When I said duckier I meant boss hen ducky. Young birds are definitely higher pitched and talkative. As many had said before in public woods you want loud, ducky boss hens. I think cutdowns have that and can stay raspy at the loudest volume without ringing IMHO. Not the only tool but a great one in the right situation.
KyMike
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum