One Call

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: Mallyard, okiequacker, stumpjumper, callinfowl

One Call

Postby Hugatree » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:24 pm

I have one duck call on my lanyard. Anyone else roll like this? I can't deal with a bunch stuff on a lanyard.
Metamucil Elite Team
Gold Bond Medicated Lotion Pro Staff
Hugatree
hunter

Re: One Call

Postby mayhem96 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:55 pm

Yep...find a call and learn to use it. Most of the time I hunt a Lares T-1 but am hoping to try a Daisy Cutter or Addiction Rehab soon.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:07 am

Nope, years ago I decided I'd rather look silly and clank when I walk than be cool with one call that didn't turn as many tricks as I might need.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Hugatree » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:36 am

I'd rather look cool than kill ducks....;)
Metamucil Elite Team
Hugatree
hunter

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:36 am

Hugatree wrote:I have one duck call on my lanyard. Anyone else roll like this? I can't deal with a bunch stuff on a lanyard.

No. Don't even hunt with just 1 lanyard. Variety is the spice of life and often the key to killing.
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby finsnfeathershunter » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:16 am

One duck call, one whistle.

Dont hunt geese so no goose call to worry about.
finsnfeathershunter
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:45 am

Hugatree wrote:I'd rather look cool than kill ducks....;)

I'm not doing either.

My call changes during the season dependant on species of ducks that are around, but I always have at least 3 calls on it. I usually have another 3-5 in the blind bag as well.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby Hugatree » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:05 pm

This is a no wrong answer situation. Calling is way down the hierarchy to me. Location, spread set up, marksmanship and pressure among other things rank higher. Granted, my call has to be just right and it must have the complete range----high to low, raspy to Whitney, soft to loud----etc. Usually, I keep a spare in the bag. The other aspect is keeping the call warm in extreme cold weather. I can keep one call warm and inside my clothing between the base layer and shirt. Finally, part of the one call mantra is culture. I was raised when hunting as a guest to keep my duck caller in a shirt pocket unless asked by the host to call.
Metamucil Elite Team
Hugatree
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:19 pm

Hugatree wrote:Finally, part of the one call mantra is culture. I was raised when hunting as a guest to keep my duck caller in a shirt pocket unless asked by the host to call.

Not calling unless asked is plain good manners no matter how many calls you're hauling, keeping calls out of sight, however, is a new one on me.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Hugatree » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:30 pm

Know a man who is a legend in Bayou Meto. Calls for the likes of Jerry Jones, national politicians, etc. His style of hunting is up close and personal flooded timber pursuit. He believes lanyards flare ducks and uses a small piece of black twine looped through the button hole of his coat pocket to secure the call. The man is a stone cold killer and has put us on a ton of ducks. It's not weird if it works. He's nice man and makes a mean biscuit. If you hunt with him, he will tell you to hide the lanyard. As a new hunter, the older, seasoned men who took me felt the same way----keep the call in the pocket. Personally, I don't care. It's just how you were brought up.
Metamucil Elite Team
Hugatree
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:56 pm

Sounds like a neat fellow.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby callinfowl » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:37 am

Hugatree wrote:Know a man who is a legend in Bayou Meto. Calls for the likes of Jerry Jones, national politicians, etc. His style of hunting is up close and personal flooded timber pursuit. He believes lanyards flare ducks and uses a small piece of black twine looped through the button hole of his coat pocket to secure the call. The man is a stone cold killer and has put us on a ton of ducks. It's not weird if it works. He's nice man and makes a mean biscuit. If you hunt with him, he will tell you to hide the lanyard. As a new hunter, the older, seasoned men who took me felt the same way----keep the call in the pocket. Personally, I don't care. It's just how you were brought up.

The guy might be the best caller in the world , but a lanyard flaring ducks is just flat out stupid !!!!!!! :fingerhead:
Maybe if is like Zink's lanyard ! But there is know way in hell a duck can see a lanyard unless the thing is hot pink or chartreuse and 4'' wide.
I still doubt ducks would flare off of the thing unless you're swinging it around in circles above your head. :yes: :yes: :yes:
Sounds like the guy is just set in his ways and wants people to think what he says is the end all !!! :yes:

I'd wear ten lanyards with bright calls on them and finish ducks in front of him just to prove he is blowing smoke up the wrong ass ! :yes: :lol:
Lifes to short to sweat the small crap !
Lighten up and have some fun ,before ya die !

Laugh at yourself and with others!!!!!
callinfowl
Forum Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:56 am

Most of us have our funny ways. (You, for instance, apparently enjoy getting all wound up over nothing and using a lot of those smilie thingies my little grandkids think are neat.) But when you're in someone's woods, it's generally best to play along.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby callinfowl » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:10 am

Hell Rick you sound old enough too be my Grandfather.........go take your Metamucil and Geritol and get back in bed for a while, maybe you will wake up on the right side of bed the next time........ ya old fart ! :lol: :lol3: :lol: :lol3: :lol: :beer:
Lifes to short to sweat the small crap !
Lighten up and have some fun ,before ya die !

Laugh at yourself and with others!!!!!
callinfowl
Forum Moderator

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:00 am

callinfowl wrote:Hell Rick you sound old enough too be my Grandfather.........go take your Metamucil and Geritol and get back in bed for a while, maybe you will wake up on the right side of bed the next time........ ya old fart ! :lol: :lol3: :lol: :lol3: :lol: :beer:

Maybe you should change you signature to:Sweat the small stuff, Tighten up and don't have fun,or don't laugh with others! :lol:thumbs up:lol3:thumbs up:lol
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:17 am

callinfowl wrote:Hell Rick you sound old enough too be my Grandfather.........go take your Metamucil and Geritol and get back in bed for a while, maybe you will wake up on the right side of bed the next time........ ya old fart ! :lol: :lol3: :lol: :lol3: :lol: :beer:

I'm old enough to remember having to take Geritol as a kid when at my grandparent's house to ward off "iron poor blood," but not old enough to have a clue what Metamucil might do. And I always wake up on the right side of the bed, Sweet Chereaux has the left side.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Hugatree » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:30 am

Metamucil will change your life. The diet most of us take in is garbage. Metamucil will lower your cholesterol in addition to warding off colon cancer. As far as quirks, as long as they're not harmful or immoral, it sort of makes for good conversation. Part of why I love duck hunting are the characters surrounding it.

Speaking of characters and one call, if you love duck hunting, you owe it to yourself to go by and meet Butch Richenback at RNT. He will be up front tuning calls. He has done a lot to further that idea of one call does it all. This is not an endorsement just an encouragement to take advantage of a part of history while you can. Then follow that visit up with a trip to Mack's and a cheeseburger at Sportsman's Inn. ;)
Metamucil Elite Team
Hugatree
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:52 am

Have known Jim since he was a young buck trying to scratch out a living in the industry making cold calls for Buck Gardner when he had whatever his deal with Butch was, and have met John, Rusty and a couple others from the shop. Only time I've been near Butch, however, he was working with some kids, and I wasn't about to stick my nose into that just to say I've met him.

But if he ascribes to it, he can keep the notion that one call will do it all. Nearly three decades of getting to be out there with the birds every open season morning, and a lot more than most for some time before that, have shown me otherwise.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Hugatree » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:32 pm

Not sure if Butch ascribes to the one call does it all mantra or not but he has designed and built a call or two that would work if you could only have one duck call. I better clarify I can't speak for Butch.

If you're in the area it's worth stopping by Rich-n-Tone even if you don't run their calls. While we are on the subject of one call I sorta think the opposite of how most calls are marketed. If I was a multiple call guy, the calls marketed for timber I would use on open water and the ones they market for open water I would use for timber.
Metamucil Elite Team
Hugatree
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:40 pm

I have one duck call and one goose call on my lanyard. Been the same two for the past 3 years and I'll be darned if they don't do the job pretty dang good every day.
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby Bryce_Decker » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:38 am

One call for me as well...if it don't work that means I'm in the wrong hole. There are 3 keys to killing ducks 1. Location, 2. Location, and most important is #3....Location.
Bryce_Decker
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:01 am

Get location right and hide well, and a call is just a toy.

It's not being able to do one of those that makes a call a tool and proves its worth.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:47 am

Bryce_Decker wrote:One call for me as well...if it don't work that means I'm in the wrong hole. There are 3 keys to killing ducks 1. Location, 2. Location, and most important is #3....Location.

Not always...
mayhem96
hunter

Postby jrode237 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:10 pm

The fact of the matter is, there are a lot of calls that could be an "only call". It comes down to what a person has confidence in using. Off the top of my head I can think of 10 different calls that I would be comfortable using, depending on the location I am hunting. From the loudest comp calls out (MVP which I use for the majority of hunting I do on open water) to one of the softest made (Watkins Swamp Bore I use on a small wooded creek by my house and a small wooded lake where even the quietest calls give off an echo). That said, I generally carry 2 hen mallard calls on my lanyard not so much because I need to, but because I have the ability to do so, both in terms of what my lanyard(s) will hold and the # of calls I own.
jrode237
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:47 pm

If you get used to blowing one call than can do it all, why carry to? You can do everything on a loud call but you can't do everything on a quiet call.
mayhem96
hunter

Next

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum