One Call

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: Mallyard, stumpjumper, okiequacker, callinfowl

Re: One Call

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:51 pm

mayhem96 wrote:If you get used to blowing one call than can do it all, why carry to?

How do you know your one call is as appealing to birds as another might be if you only carry the one?
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Rory » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:54 pm

I've got two (T1 and a pureduck) and a whistle. Really only need one on there but some days I like to blow the Pureduck.
Rory
hunter

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:28 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
mayhem96 wrote:If you get used to blowing one call than can do it all, why carry to?

How do you know your one call is as appealing to birds as another might be if you only carry the one?

Agree. Actually carry two of the same type calls. Each is tuned/cut different. One is my go to call but are days when the other turns/breaks ducks better. Use them both a lot. Location will/does make all the difference in the world. But as a public river hunter never where they want to be always in between roost/feeding area or just outside of it and need all help we can get.
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:46 pm

Rick Hall wrote:

Just have to try different calls from time to time. Some days it's a Lares or sometimes it's a RNT. Honestly, I would say it's more about reading the birds and knowing when to call rather than the type of call you have. Not trying to start anything but if you can run a call, you can kill just as many ducks with a standard J frame than a cutdown.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby cupnglide » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:03 pm

I imagine some days, the specific call doesn't mean as much to success as we'd like to believe. If you are set up where ducks want to be, a little coaxing goes a long way.

If you are not on the X and you are in a competitive situation, the call may make all the difference. I remember a hunt where we were off the X, good callers in all directions around us. We were getting shut out. Other groups wearing them out. No calls were working. I dug a call out of the blind bag as a last try. That thing was the magic flute that day. It turned group after group. The next weekend, that call was nothing special. Ducks are weird.
cupnglide
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:02 am

mayhem96 wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:

Just have to try different calls from time to time.

Again, how can you determine relative effectiveness without side-by-side comparison?
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:29 am

cupnglide wrote:I imagine some days, the specific call doesn't mean as much to success as we'd like to believe. If you are set up where ducks want to be, a little coaxing goes a long way.

If you are not on the X and you are in a competitive situation, the call may make all the difference. I remember a hunt where we were off the X, good callers in all directions around us. We were getting shut out. Other groups wearing them out. No calls were working. I dug a call out of the blind bag as a last try. That thing was the magic flute that day. It turned group after group. The next weekend, that call was nothing special. Ducks are weird.

Given a certain threshold of tone, tactics (timing, cadence and volume) will generally trump tone - but not always. Or even nearly so. And it's mighty rewarding to find "the ticket" after being frustrated for a morning by "tried and true".

Shoot, it's mighty rewarding after birds have staled on the call you're using to grab another, very different, call and jerk them back in line.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:40 pm

I like my lanyard simple. It took me quite a few years, but I've finally got it as lite as its going to get. A Lares A-5 on one side and a modified Wingert whistle on the other.
clampdaddy
hunter

Previous

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum