New PH 2 call sounds too high pitched...?

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: Mallyard, stumpjumper, okiequacker, callinfowl

New PH 2 call sounds too high pitched...?

Postby Quakklz » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:41 am

My old OLT DD-120 split in half on a hunt on the Snake River this season. I have used it for about 12 years. I tried to put it back together but it fell apart on me again today. So I picked up a Zink PH 2 on the way home. I am not a call enthusiast, nor a championship caller, but this thing sounds really high pitched to me compared to what I am used to & grew up hearing as my Dad used an Olt as well. I guess I just wondered if folks buy a duck call & use it straight out of the wrapper or if they expect to need to tune it a little after they get it home? I am not so sure this thing sounds like most ducks I have heard. I can try tuning myself, just wondered what others do when they buy a new call.
Quakklz
hunter

Re: New PH 2 call sounds too high pitched...?

Postby Honk-n-quack » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:55 am

Try them out until you find the right one and buy it. My Zink ph2 doesn't sound to high pitched. If you are looking for a deeper raspy call try the buck Gardner double nasty. If you cant try them out get a bg reactor. It sounds awesome and gets screaming loud for high balls
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby Hugatree » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:23 am

Metamucil Elite Team
Gold Bond Medicated Lotion Pro Staff
Hugatree
hunter

Postby Echospartan » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:08 pm

Probably it was just that your Olt was a little extra raspy. The buck Gardner double nasty is a good one to look at its pretty raspy.
Pull 'em outta the sky!
Echospartan
hunter

Postby Quakklz » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:20 pm

So I just read that the poly carbonate PH2s are not tuned from the manufacturer. Just assembled. The Acrylics of course, are. Can anyone verify that? If that is the case I will just try tuning this thing myself.
Quakklz
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:36 pm

Quakklz wrote:So I just read that the poly carbonate PH2s are not tuned from the manufacturer. Just assembled. The Acrylics of course, are. Can anyone verify that? If that is the case I will just try tuning this thing myself.

Where did you see that? What do you mean by tuned vs. assembled?
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:01 am

I hunted with a fellow running a very high pitched call the other evening, and it turned out to be a PH2. Don't know how universal that is though.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:36 pm

Quakklz wrote:So I just read that the poly carbonate PH2s are not tuned from the manufacturer. Just assembled. The Acrylics of course, are. Can anyone verify that? If that is the case I will just try tuning this thing myself.

I'm down there a fair amount and see poly PH-2s being tuned almost every time I'm down there. So yes they are tuned at the shop
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum