RNT short barrel wood or acrylic? Help!

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

RNT short barrel wood or acrylic? Help!

Postby snosleder080 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:15 am

Decided to finally take the plunge and buy a good quality call that I can have for a long time. Seems like the short barrel is a very solid call. Hunting in Wisconsin I hunt enough small water that a bocote or cocobola appeals to me but will it last? Definitely not looking to replace this call couple years after purchase. Or am I better off just going safe with an acrylic to last a lifetime and will it be able to quiet down enough to finish ducks in those potholes I often hunt? If you had to choose one start to finish call to last for years would it be acrylic or wood?

I know for alot of you guys you probably have both, but for now this is a big step. I'm sure once I see the difference the addiction will set in. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by snosleder080 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
snosleder080
hunter

Re: RNT short barrel wood or acrylic? Help!

Postby BrettA » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:03 am

I have an older hedge short barrel and have hunted with in for the past 4 years and it's still in great shape minus some wear on the band. You can't go wrong with either and I think the cocobola would definitely hold up
BrettA
hunter

Postby Dbishop311 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:27 am

Cocobolo SBs sound superb. If I had to choose between cocobolo and an acylic SB for hunting Id go with the coco and open up the exhaust bore just a tad.
No contest ring. No gimmicks. No compromising. It’s just pure, raw, balls-to-the-wall, don’t tell your mother, most powerful, non-nuclear duck calling machine on the planet.This call may not be for everyone. But if you can drive it, Game over......
Dbishop311
hunter

Postby snosleder080 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:48 am

Appreciate the input guys. Going to complicate things a hair...I've heard about good lows on the microhen. Would this in acrylic be comparable to a SB in wood but more durable?
snosleder080
hunter

Postby talkinfowl » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:42 pm

I was in the same situation as you a few months ago. Just went ahead and bought the acrylic so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
talkinfowl
hunter

Postby snosleder080 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:58 pm

I was in the same situation as you a few months ago. Just went ahead and bought the acrylic so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

And does it get down low enough for your liking?
snosleder080
hunter

Postby mccree79 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:05 pm

I have an Acrylic Short Barrel. My favorite call in the field. It is an older short barrel. they have changed a little. I also have a wood micro hen. The micro hen is fun to use. it sounds great and is surpassingly loud. It is plenty good on the low "deeper" end. I would still have to recommend the short barrel over the micro hen. The short barrel has better tonal and volume range.
mccree79
hunter

Postby Hugatree » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:21 pm

Think about this, with the right control, you can make a loud call soft but you can't make a soft call loud. Stick with a good all around call and rely on your skills to quieten it when need be. Get the acrylic call. Wood will distort and you have to take care with it. Some get lucky but I have a box full of wood calls that changed tone over time and repeated exposure to cold. Acrylic won't do that. Save your money a little longer. You've made it this far.
Super Elite Cubic Zirconia Geritol Pro Staff
Hugatree
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:13 am

I'm a huge Microhen fan, but if looking for an only call, I'd want something capable of more volume. I recently gave away a super sweet hedge SB from a period when they were bored open enough to better fill that "only call" bill, but the newer ones I've heard won't get loud enough to suit me, either. So if I were to get a current SB, I'd want acrylic to squeeze every tiny bit of volume out of it. But that hedge SB was the "duckiest" I've heard.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby snosleder080 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:25 am

Never owned a wood call. Will they last 10 years if taken care of? Obviously I'm not going to take this thing to bed with me but p pulling it apart after use to dry seems reasonable
snosleder080
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:11 pm

Rick Hall wrote:I'm a huge Microhen fan, but if looking for an only call, I'd want something capable of more volume. I recently gave away a super sweet hedge SB from a period when they were bored open enough to better fill that "only call" bill, but the newer ones I've heard won't get loud enough to suit me, either. So if I were to get a current SB, I'd want acrylic to squeeze every tiny bit of volume out of it. But that hedge SB was the "duckiest" I've heard.

I've been wondering about this Rick. It does seem like the newer SBs don't have quite the volume like the old ones did. What did they change/when did they change them?
mayhem96
hunter

Postby talkinfowl » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:12 pm

snosleder080 wrote:

And does it get down low enough for your liking?

I have never blown a cocobolo SB so I can't offer a side by side comparison, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that the acrylic will get down as low as I will EVER need it to go.
It's definitely my go-to call.

talkinfowl
hunter

Postby talkinfowl » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:14 pm

Hugatree wrote:Think about this, with the right control, you can make a loud call soft but you can't make a soft call loud. Stick with a good all around call and rely on your skills to quieten it when need be. Get the acrylic call. Wood will distort and you have to take care with it. Some get lucky but I have a box full of wood calls that changed tone over time and repeated exposure to cold. Acrylic won't do that. Save your money a little longer. You've made it this far.

And a huge x2 on everything said above. With just a little practice you can make that SB whisper.

talkinfowl
hunter

Postby mccree79 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:45 pm

snosleder080 wrote:Never owned a wood call. Will they last 10 years if taken care of? Obviously I'm not going to take this thing to bed with me but p pulling it apart after use to dry seems reasonable

I have a cocobolo original that is 15 years old. Still going strong. Have a Bois D'arc call that is 13 years old. Woos calls will last a long time with moderate care.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
mccree79
hunter

Postby Jay-Bird82 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:03 pm

What has changed about the SB?

I hunt a burnt hedge and an acrylic SB. Probably dont need both, i can whisper into the call for the softest of cuts
Jay-Bird82
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:36 pm

mayhem96 wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:I'm a huge Microhen fan, but if looking for an only call, I'd want something capable of more volume. I recently gave away a super sweet hedge SB from a period when they were bored open enough to better fill that "only call" bill, but the newer ones I've heard won't get loud enough to suit me, either. So if I were to get a current SB, I'd want acrylic to squeeze every tiny bit of volume out of it. But that hedge SB was the "duckiest" I've heard.

I've been wondering about this Rick. It does seem like the newer SBs don't have quite the volume like the old ones did. What did they change/when did they change them?

Folks have said on these boards that the stickered ones had the most open bores, but my was an early engraved version that seemed every bit as loud as my older version, scroll insert, Daisy cutter, just less harsh. Again, on these boards, I've read that the bore change was to help differentiate the SB and DC - but that's only what I've seen on the Internet. Which is to say I don't know the first thing about it for fact.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby cleboje » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:59 am

Acylic SB all the way....here is my latest from RnT:

RNT ATM call.zip
(50.49 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
cleboje
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum