JJ Lares

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker

JJ Lares

Postby _chasecarson123 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:37 am

I want to purchase a new call after Christmas and I'm leaning towards a Lares A5 or a T1. What do you guys think?
_chasecarson123
hunter

Re: JJ Lares

Postby Mill pond » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:13 am

You can't go wrong! I have a hybrid and T1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mill pond
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:44 pm

My favorite from Joe and Bret is the T-1. I have an Olivewood/acrylic T-1 that I am particularly fond of and it has been the only call on my lanyard this year. The T-1 and Hybrid have the same exact insert but the Hybrid barrel is a little longer. MOST guys will have an easier time leaning on the Hybrid without it getting flat. You can lean on the T-1 but it MAY take some getting used to. With that said, it is all what you want. The A-5 is loud but does lack the low end of the T-1 and Hybrid. FWIW, I started on a Hybrid just to learn how to run a Lares and from here on out, I will be most likely be buying T-1s. I like the overall look and feel of them. My suggestion to you, call the shop and speak with Mr. Bret Crowe. He can explain to you all the "ins and outs" of his calls. Tell him Ben Perez sent you :thumbsup:

And BTW, the T-1 just won World Live Duck last month :yes: :yes:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby tsaylor1979 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:09 pm

The t-1 and hybrid are very similar in my opinion. Mayhem gave you a pretty good summary above and he knows his way around a call. I don't think you can go wrong with either call.
tsaylor1979
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:47 pm

just pick one and roll with it. order the assorted reed pack so you can easily find what works best with your style and pressure control.

:welcome: to Lares Land
JD
And on the 9th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "now that I have a caretaker, I need a protector." So God made a hunter...
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:51 pm

mayhem96 wrote:

that is awesome!!!!!

Lares ftw :grooving:
JD
And on the 9th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "now that I have a caretaker, I need a protector." So God made a hunter...
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:10 pm

I got an A5 and really, I don't know why they ever bothered designing any other models :lol3: It'll run soft a quiet like a "timber" call or it'll get loud like an open water call. It is a little tricky to run at first but with a little practice, it does everything and it does it well. I like the "1.365 reed in my A5.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:37 am

A5 is ok IMO, Much bigger fan of a T1 followed closely by a hybrid.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby Gulfcoast » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:03 am

A T1 will get LOUD for such a little critter, too.
So many ducks, so little time . . .

HRCH Ellie Mae MH
Tipsy Puppy
Gulfcoast
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:47 pm

Gulfcoast wrote:A T1 will get LOUD for such a little critter, too.

It sure will!
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:26 pm

SPatrick wrote:A5 is ok IMO, Much bigger fan of a T1 followed closely by a hybrid.

For a guy from MO, you have pretty good taste Patrick :lol3: :lol3:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Full Force Five » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:23 am

The T-1 and Hybrid are so similar I think. I like the Hybrid just slighly more than the T-1. I've never loved the A-5 personally. it's a great call but I love the T-1 and hybrid.
I knew this would happen.
Full Force Five
hunter

Postby Icelander513 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:30 am

mayhem96 wrote:My favorite from Joe and Bret is the T-1. I have an Olivewood/acrylic T-1 that I am particularly fond of and it has been the only call on my lanyard this year. The T-1 and Hybrid have the same exact insert but the Hybrid barrel is a little longer. MOST guys will have an easier time leaning on the Hybrid without it getting flat. You can lean on the T-1 but it MAY take some getting used to. With that said, it is all what you want. The A-5 is loud but does lack the low end of the T-1 and Hybrid. FWIW, I started on a Hybrid just to learn how to run a Lares and from here on out, I will be most likely be buying T-1s. I like the overall look and feel of them. My suggestion to you, call the shop and speak with Mr. Bret Crowe. He can explain to you all the "ins and outs" of his calls. Tell him Ben Perez sent you :thumbsup:

Have you ever actually tried an A-5?
Icelander513
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:57 am

Icelander513 wrote:
mayhem96 wrote:My favorite from Joe and Bret is the T-1. I have an Olivewood/acrylic T-1 that I am particularly fond of and it has been the only call on my lanyard this year. The T-1 and Hybrid have the same exact insert but the Hybrid barrel is a little longer. MOST guys will have an easier time leaning on the Hybrid without it getting flat. You can lean on the T-1 but it MAY take some getting used to. With that said, it is all what you want. The A-5 is loud but does lack the low end of the T-1 and Hybrid. FWIW, I started on a Hybrid just to learn how to run a Lares and from here on out, I will be most likely be buying T-1s. I like the overall look and feel of them. My suggestion to you, call the shop and speak with Mr. Bret Crowe. He can explain to you all the "ins and outs" of his calls. Tell him Ben Perez sent you :thumbsup:

Yup.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby jrode237 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:07 am

mayhem96 wrote:
Icelander513 wrote:

Yup.

How extensively Ben? Did you have a chance to mess with different reeds? My personal opinion, and what I really like about all 3 current model Lares duck calls, is that it is almost like they have a few "gears". Minimal air input let's them whisper out some of the quietest sounds I have heard on a call that can also get very loud. Then you can open them up and essentily not blow through them with maximum air. Just what I have found messing with mine.......and that goes for he A5 too. Fwiw, it ma lack just a little on the bottom compared to a T1 and Hybrid, but not much.
jrode237
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:46 am

jrode237 wrote:
mayhem96 wrote:
Icelander513 wrote:

Yup.

How extensively Ben? Did you have a chance to mess with different reeds? My personal opinion, and what I really like about all 3 current model Lares duck calls, is that it is almost like they have a few "gears". Minimal air input let's them whisper out some of the quietest sounds I have heard on a call that can also get very loud. Then you can open them up and essentily not blow through them with maximum air. Just what I have found messing with mine.......and that goes for he A5 too. Fwiw, it ma lack just a little on the bottom compared to a T1 and Hybrid, but not much.

I just blew a few sequences on it and didn't have a chance to mess with reeds but hopefully I will in the future. While I would like to add some Lares to my collection, I honestly feel like the Hybrid or T-1 are slightly better just because they have the low end that the A-5 seems to lack (as you mentioned). Lares do have pretty good range but they don't have the low, quiet duck that you can get from say a Daisy Cutter or something like that. I would say a Daisy Cutter has more range but only for that reason. It is a little tricky (for me) to get a real quiet duck out of a Lares and it is the reason why I may be adding a Daisy Cutter to the rope. However, the mean, raspy hen that you can get out of them ins unreal and ducks seem to love it.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby jrode237 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:13 am

Maybe we're not talking about the same thing but a normal T1 excels on low volume duck IMO. I will see if I can throw together a soundfile and let you hear what I am talking about. I know you know how to run a call so maybe the reed you have in doesn't lend itself to those whisper quiet quacks. FWIW, I cut my own but model it after Joe's HD reeds and it is at 1.360ish in length.
jrode237
hunter

Postby Jay-Bird82 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:56 am

T1 Small bore or a hybrid
Jay-Bird82
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:07 pm

jrode237 wrote:Maybe we're not talking about the same thing but a normal T1 excels on low volume duck IMO. I will see if I can throw together a soundfile and let you hear what I am talking about. I know you know how to run a call so maybe the reed you have in doesn't lend itself to those whisper quiet quacks. FWIW, I cut my own but model it after Joe's HD reeds and it is at 1.360ish in length.

It could be. I have messed with all the reeds but run a 1.375 HD reed in all my Lares. It could simply be that my brain is not functioning today and I just don't understand what you're saying :help: :help:

I just can't get real low on it like I can a Daisy Cutter, XR-2, RM Gold Digger etc.
mayhem96
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum