Novice - So Many Choices - Recommendations

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

Novice - So Many Choices - Recommendations

Postby duckdar1 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:12 am

...hunting a long time and the time has come to stop being dependent on someone else to call them in...looking to learn the art of duck calling...

I understand there is no perfect call; much is personal preference. One mans ace is another mans dud. Nevertheless, I would appreciated recommendations (cost not considered in decision). I am looking to purchase 1 to 3 calls: hammer them in, talk soft, timber / open field applications...have read many reviews and more I read the more difficult the decision becomes.

Happy Calling!
duckdar1
Newb

Re: Novice - So Many Choices - Recommendations

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:23 am

Go to Cableas or Bass Pro and ask to run multiples. find one you like. I have RNT's and Zink both are good.
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill

fadetoblack188 wrote:forget i asked.. mods please delete.. the scum bags on this site are overwhelming.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:25 pm

Start by callin ron at RM calls. Purchase your first call. Tell him you want a gold digger then tell him literally whatever you want it to look like, colors, wood types etc.
Second call.....call ron at RM calls again. Tell him you want a skank.....yes you heard right skank. Repeat the color scheme.
This is all you'll need to do.
Return to this forum and thank me for recommending the finest call maker on the planet.
Kill ducks....love your olé lady
sooner737
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:39 pm

I would stick with Duck Commander because all there calls are hand tuned and all sound exactly like the species there supposed to. They are easy calls to blow that should give you no problems. By the way weve been using there calls a long time before the show so im not just sayin this cuz of duck dynasty. I currenty have 4 of their calls that i love. They have calls for timber, medium, and open water. Ranges from $30 to $150
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby DarenDeath » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:20 pm

Get the Carlson Champion Calls lesson pack and call combo.
Then practice. Then get a RM Gold digger or a RNT- Short Barrel or MVP, Or an Echo- timber or Open water(depending on your typical hunt zone). You'll be all set to go by next season! :thumbsup:
DarenDeath
hunter

Postby Scott. » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:28 am

thomashamm2 wrote:I would stick with Duck Commander because all there calls are hand tuned and all sound exactly like the species there supposed to. They are easy calls to blow that should give you no problems. By the way weve been using there calls a long time before the show so im not just sayin this cuz of duck dynasty. I currenty have 4 of their calls that i love. They have calls for timber, medium, and open water. Ranges from $30 to $150

Do not listen to anything that guy says lol someone hand-places reeds in them, and thats about as far as it goes. There is absolutely zero tuning done. Reeds are precut, and tone boards are not altered at all after they are molded.

I would definitely go to Cabelas/BassPro and try several calls. My recommendation = RNT Short Barrel. My favorite call ever. You can stay very quiet, but you also have a decent high end.
"Honorable scars are not to be penalized."
"There are two kinds of people in the world without beards. Women and boys. I am neither."
WOOOOO PIG SOOOOIEEE
Scott.
hunter

Postby puppypopper » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:52 am

X2 on what Sooner said ! But reverse the calls. The Skank is now the Pothole call. If you are just starting out calling , start out with the Pothole call then move up to the Gold Digger.

But yes, CAll RON !
puppypopper
hunter

Postby JWIN » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:47 pm

puppypopper wrote:X2 on what Sooner said ! But reverse the calls. The Skank is now the Pothole call. If you are just starting out calling , start out with the Pothole call then move up to the Gold Digger.

But yes, CAll RON !

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Stumps the man!!!!
JWIN
hunter

Postby Hugatree » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:16 pm

Get yourself an acrylic Rich-n-Tone original.
Super Elite Cubic Zirconia Geritol Pro Staff
Hugatree
hunter

Postby duckdar1 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:22 am

Thanks all for the comments. Appears the consensus is RNT...
duckdar1
Newb

Postby sooner737 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:58 am

duckdar1 wrote:Thanks all for the comments. Appears the consensus is RNT...

Yea I'd get a machine cut call that looks like everyone else's over a custom made hand turned one that'll sound just as good if not better any day. :thumbsup:
sooner737
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:45 am

X2 on the RNT Original. It is a great call with exceptional range and lots of duck. Call the shop and talk to Butch and he will hook you up...he's the best :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Jay-Bird82 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:57 am

Like suggested, go try as many as you can. I bring two calls with me, but both are the same call. An acrylic short barrel and a hedge short barrel.
Jay-Bird82
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum