Hobo Calls - Whats going on with them?

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker, callinfowl

Hobo Calls - Whats going on with them?

Postby justinsfa » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:16 pm

Been trying to get in touch with Kent concerning two orders and have gotten no response to emails... nobody answers the phone... voicemail box is full.

Checked the Hobo facebook page and its getting hit with bad reviews from folks having the same issues. No communication, no calls being shipped, etc. Kent's personal page is also catching some heat.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hobo-Wor ... 5870142005

https://www.facebook.com/Hobo.Duck.Calls?fref=ts

Is he still in business? Is he out of town? Got 2 orders in which credit cards have been billed by Hobo but no calls have shipped yet and can't get any kind of answers. From the looks of the facebook wall posts, this has been an issue for a few months. These are Xmas presents, so time is getting slim, not to mention the calls already being paid for.

Does anybody know anything that is going on or maybe have some additional contact info for him?
justinsfa
hunter

Re: Hobo Calls - Whats going on with them?

Postby chirojh » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:35 am

I had the same issue last year. I finally got in touch with him and he said he was covered up. Sounded to me like he needed to hire more staff instead doing it all himself. I was at Mack's prairie wings Saturday and he was there working the call counter promoting his calls so I'm sure you will get them. He is kinda ruining his rep though.
chirojh
hunter

Postby justinsfa » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:17 am

Seems like a message on his website or either of his Facebook boards would offer the communication to the customers pretty easily.

I mean, as a customer, I have 30 days to dispute the charges on a credit card. With no communication from the vendor, consumers would be basically forced to cancel their order and duke it out with the credit card company.

As of now, I have 300 bucks tied up on a credit card and 2 folks with no Xmas presents.... 5 days before Christmas.... and no clue if the order was received, processed, in the mail, thrown in the trash... nothing.

I was worried he might be on vacation, had gotten ill or had a death in the family. Hopefully I will hear something soon or I will have to dispute the credit card charges and go somewhere else.

Some guy from the Ukraine is on his page complaining about not receiving his call since JULY!
justinsfa
hunter

Postby txaggbpacker21 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:09 pm

I am having the same issue. Bought some merchandise on the 9th. On the 16th I called and left a voice mail as well as sent an email. No reply yet. It would be nice to know if I'm going to get my Xmas gifts for my buddies in time!
txaggbpacker21
Newb

Postby justinsfa » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:24 pm

txaggbpacker21 wrote:I am having the same issue. Bought some merchandise on the 9th. On the 16th I called and left a voice mail as well as sent an email. No reply yet. It would be nice to know if I'm going to get my Xmas gifts for my buddies in time!

What is your game plan going forward? Are you going to file a dispute with your CC company or Paypal? I am running out of time and have 300 bucks tied up with this deal... but the bigger issue is I have 5 days to get replacement gifts if Hobo doesn't do something.
justinsfa
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:29 pm

Seems this has been going on for quite some time,alot of excuses coming out of Hobo Calls the last 8-10 months.
If I was you I would file the dispute with your CC forget Paypal as that will just take more time,get your money back and find a call maker that offers way better customer service as well as calls.
Chalk it up to a lesson learned.
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much

Annoy a Liberal,work hard and be happy
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby justinsfa » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:18 pm

I am really not left with much of a choice but to do just that. I had never heard a single bad word about his company and everyone raves about the ICU2 as being one of if not the best double reeds on the market, so I figured Xmas would be a good chance to get some down here in the Lone Star State and give them a whirl and the purchase would be a cinch. Could be the best call on the planet, but if they don't get shipped out, then that really doesn't matter. haha. While I was searching, I even found an old video of his boasting about great customer service and great calls.

Bad thing is that even if I dispute it tomorrow, there is no way the charge would be reversed before the holidays and there surely is no way that I could research, purchase and have a different manufacturers calls shipped here in time for Xmas without paying as much in overnight freight as the call itself costs.

As someone who has been in customer service management for 16 years, I find this kind of service appalling. Accidents and events do happen, but its apparent by the Facebook feedback that it sure has been going on for a while. The guy's not sick or dead... as of last Saturday anyway.

Lesson : always double check Facebook to head off potential problems. Zuckerberg wins again. haha

Anybody have any recommendations on an acrylic double reed that has an equivalent reputation as the ICU2? Is the Echo Meat Hanger born from the same design? Insight is welcomed and appreciated.
justinsfa
hunter

Postby dukhntr » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:15 am

Try ordering some hobos from Macks PW... :thumbsup:
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby justinsfa » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:35 pm

I ordered them direct from Hobo because Mack's online offers 2 colors.

That being said, why would I want to give them my business at all, be it through a distributor or direct? If he doesn't want my business, I am not going to beg for him to take my money (although he already did that).

And another kick in the nuts is I told my buddy up north about everybody raving about the ICU2, so he ordered one.... he hasn't gotten anything nor gotten ANY kind of response from Ken either... So not only am I out 300 bones, but someone I mentioned his product too is out 150 bucks himself.
justinsfa
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:05 pm

chirojh wrote:I had the same issue last year. I finally got in touch with him and he said he was covered up. Sounded to me like he needed to hire more staff instead doing it all himself. I was at Mack's prairie wings Saturday and he was there working the call counter promoting his calls so I'm sure you will get them. He is kinda ruining his rep though.

I know about how much business he is doing and it's nowhere near enough to garner needing more than one person. Heck he only has 4 call models. Painting and tuning calls doesn't take very long at all.
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby justinsfa » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:51 pm

Spoke to Kent today. Said he has been bowed up with orders. He was very apologetic and said he had records of my orders and they would ship out today.

I know how it gets when its overwhelmingly busy and I tend to give folks the benefit of the doubt. The calls should make it here by Xmas hopefully.
justinsfa
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:06 pm

justinsfa wrote:Spoke to Kent today. Said he has been bowed up with orders. He was very apologetic and said he had records of my orders and they would ship out today.

I know how it gets when its overwhelmingly busy and I tend to give folks the benefit of the doubt. The calls should make it here by Xmas hopefully.

Dont get your hopes up. This time of year USPS is super slow, 2-3 day priority takes 3-7. We actually made an announcement for our company that any orders for Christmas should have been made by Wed. the 18th to gaurantee delivery. Hope you get them in time
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby justinsfa » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:28 pm

Not sure how they are coming, but my UPS shipments are back to being on time. The Mesquite hub was hung up and backlogged everything for a while due to the heavy ice in the Dallas area 10 days ago, but things are going more smoothly now. Still, its the worst time of year to ship stuff... USPS is terrible though, so I never use them on my daily shipments. Crossing my fingers he goes Brown Truck.

We will see. Honestly, I am just glad we got some communication going. I was getting a little uptight.
justinsfa
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:55 pm

Same happened to me, I contacted the better business bureau, then he got back to me. Its a shame, his calls are awesome but his customer service just plain sucks.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:55 pm

This happened months ago too so no holiday excuse.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:19 pm

Trevor Shannahan wrote:
chirojh wrote:I had the same issue last year. I finally got in touch with him and he said he was covered up. Sounded to me like he needed to hire more staff instead doing it all himself. I was at Mack's prairie wings Saturday and he was there working the call counter promoting his calls so I'm sure you will get them. He is kinda ruining his rep though.

I know about how much business he is doing and it's nowhere near enough to garner needing more than one person. Heck he only has 4 call models. Painting and tuning calls doesn't take very long at all.

I've been wrong many times so correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't hobo and those calls likely his only job?? I figured it can't take as long as it takes him like you mentioned. Does he not want business? Just baffles me
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby 11-87 Va » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:47 am

I'm glad y'all brought this subject up. I ordered a Hobo Hunter poly/wood the other day from Macks and got the ol' backorder e-mail yesterday saying it's gonna be 2 to 4 weeks. I can't deal with that. Gonna have to call them and change my order and look for something else.

Thanks again!
I am second

Minus One

Go Keydets!
11-87 Va
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:53 am

11-87 Va wrote:I'm glad y'all brought this subject up. I ordered a Hobo Hunter poly/wood the other day from Macks and got the ol' backorder e-mail yesterday saying it's gonna be 2 to 4 weeks. I can't deal with that. Gonna have to call them and change my order and look for something else.

Thanks again!

Get a Daisy Cutter :grooving: :grooving:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby 11-87 Va » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:00 am

I was all fired up about drinking the Lares cool aid. Should I start with a daisy cutter?
I am second

Minus One

Go Keydets!
11-87 Va
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:10 pm

11-87 Va wrote:I was all fired up about drinking the Lares cool aid. Should I start with a daisy cutter?

Got enough money for both :biggrin: :biggrin:

Your call, both are the two best Meat/hunting calls IMHO.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby widowmaker9 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:27 pm

I am now experiencing the same issue that yall had with orders. I ordered a call almost 4 weeks ago now having no response to phone calls and voicemail box is full. How long was it before yall got in touch with Kent? I have now seen all the fb post he has. I know its not duck season but id still like to know whats goin on with it after they pulled my money a day after the order.
widowmaker9
Newb

Postby ColoradoGooser » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:58 pm

widowmaker9 wrote:I am now experiencing the same issue that yall had with orders. I ordered a call almost 4 weeks ago now having no response to phone calls and voicemail box is full. How long was it before yall got in touch with Kent? I have now seen all the fb post he has. I know its not duck season but id still like to know whats goin on with it after they pulled my money a day after the order.

Cancel the order,did you pay with a credit card?
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby widowmaker9 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:02 pm

yea i did. I have heard nothing but good things about his calls but obviously his service sucks.
widowmaker9
Newb

Postby JFord56 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:24 pm

I send money order for the duck dictionary about 3 weeks ago after ordering online. Have not heard a word yet?
JFord56
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:18 pm

JFord56 wrote:I send money order for the duck dictionary about 3 weeks ago after ordering online. Have not heard a word yet?

If you have the receipt to prove purchase of said MO, you can start the mail fraud process.

ColoradoGooser
hunter

Next

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum