So, I drank the J.J. Lares Kool-Aid... Now Let's have a talk

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker, callinfowl

So, I drank the J.J. Lares Kool-Aid... Now Let's have a talk

Postby sigpi906 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:44 pm

I broke down and purchased a Lares Hybrid last night. I've done lots of reading about them and I have some questions.

First, I've yet to read a bad review of the calls, but if there is any constructive criticism of the brand, more specifically the Hybrid, what would it be?

Second, I'm reading that blowing a lares requires less grunt than a "traditional" call. For those of you that blow a Lares and another call, do you find the transition hard? Or is it something you just get used to? Or does everyone just stop blowing everything but their Lares?
I was told people wouldn't take me seriously without a signature.
sigpi906
hunter

Re: So, I drank the J.J. Lares Kool-Aid... Now Let's have a

Postby ColoradoGooser » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:49 pm

I blow my Hybrid no different than the other duck calls I run,only exception would be a cutdowncall.
Some say you need to run cleaner air in the Lares,but I've never found that to be true for me.
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much

Annoy a Liberal,work hard and be happy
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:41 pm

sigpi906 wrote:I broke down and purchased a Lares Hybrid last night. I've done lots of reading about them and I have some questions.

First, I've yet to read a bad review of the calls, but if there is any constructive criticism of the brand, more specifically the Hybrid, what would it be?

Second, I'm reading that blowing a lares requires less grunt than a "traditional" call. For those of you that blow a Lares and another call, do you find the transition hard? Or is it something you just get used to? Or does everyone just stop blowing everything but their Lares?

Nothing bad about Lares calls IMHO. Some will not like them just because they are a little different than other calls and they don't stick with them. FWIW, it took me several months to learn to really run a Lares. And yes, the transition is pretty hard but you do get used to it. You have to blow a Lares with a little bit cleaner air presentation since they have the rasp built in.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby k.s. » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:05 pm

I bought a lares hybrid a couple months ago, awesome call! It's a little different, but if know how to properly blow a duck call, the transition will be fairly easy. I feel a j frame is a little more forgiving, but I can do a lot more with my hybrid. I had to practice more when I first got mine and once I got it I felt my Cajun squeals and bouncing hens are a lot cleaner and more controlled. Stick with it and you'll love it.
k.s.
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:09 pm

k.s. wrote:I bought a lares hybrid a couple months ago, awesome call! It's a little different, but if know how to properly blow a duck call, the transition will be fairly easy. I feel a j frame is a little more forgiving, but I can do a lot more with my hybrid. I had to practice more when I first got mine and once I got it I felt my Cajun squeals and bouncing hens are a lot cleaner and more controlled. Stick with it and you'll love it.

Lares calls are more forgiving IMHO.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:04 pm

k.s. wrote:I bought a lares hybrid a couple months ago, awesome call! It's a little different, but if know how to properly blow a duck call, the transition will be fairly easy. I feel a j frame is a little more forgiving, but I can do a lot more with my hybrid. I had to practice more when I first got mine and once I got it I felt my Cajun squeals and bouncing hens are a lot cleaner and more controlled. Stick with it and you'll love it.

How do you make a Cajun squeal?
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:55 pm

biscuitsandgravy wrote:

How do you make a Cajun squeal?

Tell him that's the last of the Andouille,should get him to squeal :lol3:

Heres a decent vid on how to do it.

"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much

Annoy a Liberal,work hard and be happy
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:02 pm

I don't have a hybrid but with my A5 I still use voice in my calling, same as any other call. The only difference I've really noticed is that I have to pay a lot more attention to my technique, especially on the bottom end. With all of my other calls I can pick it up and pretty much sound the same every time I blow it. My A5 has a lot of different ducks in it and I have to pay attention to make sure I get the right duck I'm looking for. It's been really fun learning its range (which is amazingly wide). Aside from my whistle, it's the only call I run now.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby sigpi906 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:07 am

Man I can't wait o get this call! Thanks for the replies fellas. Y'all are really helping take a *little bit of my apprehension away.

My hybrid is coming with the stock reed in it. Do y'all suggest I learn how to blow it with that, or should I call the shop and get the assorted reed set to try?
I was told people wouldn't take me seriously without a signature.
sigpi906
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:29 am

sigpi906 wrote:Man I can't wait o get this call! Thanks for the replies fellas. Y'all are really helping take a *little bit of my apprehension away.

My hybrid is coming with the stock reed in it. Do y'all suggest I learn how to blow it with that, or should I call the shop and get the assorted reed set to try?

I would definitely recommend it.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:47 am

Get some different reeds. The stock is a 1.350 HD reed but you may like a longer reed like a 1.365 HD or 1.375 HD :thumbsup:

FWIW, I run a 1.375 reed in all my Lares calls.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:17 am

I like a longer reed in mine too. I look at it like this, if you went downtown and bought a Cadillac would you leave the seat in the same position it was when it came from the factory? It's possible, if the guy who drove it off the assembly line was built exactly like you, but chances are you'll need to make adjustments to make it more comfortable for you to drive.
clampdaddy
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum