Can someone explain a cut down.

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: Mallyard, stumpjumper, okiequacker, callinfowl

Can someone explain a cut down.

Postby chirojh » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:08 am

I would love someone to explain the cutdown process. Also I see key hole and I have seen calls with that look but what does that hole really accomplish vs any other cut down?
chirojh
hunter

Re: Can someone explain a cut down.

Postby Bryce_Decker » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:13 pm

The keyhole is just how those particular calls were made (particularly the P.S. Olts) it has nothing to do with the sound of the call. A cutdown is a call that has the olt style toneboard and it has been modified to achieve a louder/duckier sound than a factory call, this is usually achieved with sandpaper or a file. They are very loud and ultra realistic, in the right hands they are very effective at calling in ducks. They usually take more air to operate than a regular style duck call.
Bryce_Decker
hunter

Postby muddyfoot » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:47 am

Basicly every Arkansas J frame call is a cut down call so to speak, but now they bore them and shape them differently from the original Olt.

The Cut call is one call that is not forgiving like the new way of making calls that's why they are harder to run,.... Or should I say take a lot of air to operate. The Art of taking a Duck Call and cutting it down to get the barking, boss sound of that old hen is one that is sought after to learn and one that is kept in the books of secrets by the ones who know how to do it.

With that being said a Cut Down call is the Original call that all others where birth from, it's not something new and it in my books is the call that came way before it's time.

There's a history behind the Cut Call and it would take a guy a lot older than me to tell it but I'll say this, you will never hear the woods boom and rumble with the sounds of mallard hens with any other call from a group of guys like a call that is cut down.
muddyfoot
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:40 am

Any other members know any history regarding the modifying of olts? Genuinely interested. I love using them.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:48 am

muddyfoot wrote: you will never hear the woods boom and rumble with the sounds of mallard hens with any other call from a group of guys like a call that is cut down.

Do real ducks boom and rumble in the woods?? :huh:
mudpack
hunter

Postby mallardman2256 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:47 am

By far the duckiest sounding calls IMO. With almost no back pressure they are very unforgiving. You blow a cut down way different than you would blow a regular call. Deep, loud, and raspy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
<only two kinds of people don't have beards, boys and women,....and I am neither>
<the way i see it is the Lord only blesses you with so many sunrises and sunsets and i want to catch as many as i can>
mallardman2256
hunter

Postby muddyfoot » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:03 pm

mudpack wrote:
muddyfoot wrote: you will never hear the woods boom and rumble with the sounds of mallard hens with any other call from a group of guys like a call that is cut down.

So your one of those "GUYS" that like to talk what "REAL DUCKS" Do and Don't Do!!!!!
So for you sir I'll say "You will never hear guys in the woods Quack, Quack with any other call like a Cut down"

You guys really need to get over what a real duck will and will not do!
We are human trying to sound as close to real ducks and geese as we can and IMO we will always be a step behind, so when we are on forums saying human words like Boom and Rumble.....it's just human talk!
muddyfoot
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:50 pm

muddyfoot wrote:
mudpack wrote:

So your one of those "GUYS" that like to talk what "REAL DUCKS" Do and Don't Do!!!!!
So for you sir I'll say "You will never hear guys in the woods Quack, Quack with any other call like a Cut down"

You guys really need to get over what a real duck will and will not do!
We are human trying to sound as close to real ducks and geese as we can and IMO we will always be a step behind, so when we are on forums saying human words like Boom and Rumble.....it's just human talk!

Touche'. I feel a cutdown is awfully real sounding though when done right.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby callinfowl » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:41 am

No calls sound more realistic then a few guys on cut down calls it the woods..........IMOP !!!
Lifes to short to sweat the small crap !
Lighten up and have some fun ,before ya die !

Laugh at yourself and with others!!!!!
callinfowl
Forum Moderator

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum