Which cutdown do you suggest

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker, callinfowl

Which cutdown do you suggest

Postby chirojh » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:43 am

Thinking about buying a cutdown. Which do y'all suggest?
chirojh
hunter
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:01 pm


Re: Which cutdown do you suggest

Postby Hbnel5on » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:00 pm

Anything by Heath vandlingham or Tyler Rodgers.


Some coot stole my fone.
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Hookers and blow.
User avatar
Hbnel5on
hunter
 
Posts: 633
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:58 pm

Re: Which cutdown do you suggest

Postby Bryce_Decker » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:47 am

Do some research and then decide...everyone has their preferences on who to get their call cut by...some guys cut them very light and easy and others cut them down more traditionally and heavier blowing....I will say this, I believe a cutdown is supposed to take some air to operate and a light blowing cutdown is not going to perform as good as a heavy one in my opinion. I like mine to not overblow. Just depends on what you want. I suggest getting a traditional style cutdown and learning how to use it...that is the beauty of these calls is the unique way of calling ducks with them and learning how to use one.
Bryce_Decker
hunter
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:10 pm

Re: Which cutdown do you suggest

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:02 pm

Cant go wrong with one of Bryce's calls. Best cutdown for the price if you are just getting into them.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
User avatar
The Duck Hammer
hunter
 
Posts: 3710
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:27 am
Location: NW Arkansas

Re: Which cutdown do you suggest

Postby Hbnel5on » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:01 pm

I have both a black monser, a hv mondo and a Tyler olt. The bm is definitely the toughest to run of the 3 followed by the Tyler olt and then the mondo.. These are all great calls with great sound. Any of them are a solid choice. I have heard good things about Bryce's molded calls


Some coot stole my fone.
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Hookers and blow.
User avatar
Hbnel5on
hunter
 
Posts: 633
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:58 pm

Re: Which cutdown do you suggest

Postby Bryce_Decker » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:31 pm

That sounds about right...My calls are like the old school cutdowns from the days of our granddads....I don't cut a call that everyone can pick up and take to the woods and I refuse to do that. I cut a call that calls ducks and sounds good, but you have to learn it. I WILL NOT cut an easy blowing cutdown, that defeats the entire purpose of owning one IMO. I stopped producing the molded version in favor of the hand cut calls. It's not a real cutdown unless it's been cut by hand.
Bryce_Decker
hunter
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:10 pm

Re: Which cutdown do you suggest

Postby Hbnel5on » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:53 pm

Bryce_Decker wrote:That sounds about right...My calls are like the old school cutdowns from the days of our granddads....I don't cut a call that everyone can pick up and take to the woods and I refuse to do that. I cut a call that calls ducks and sounds good, but you have to learn it. I WILL NOT cut an easy blowing cutdown, that defeats the entire purpose of owning one IMO. I stopped producing the molded version in favor of the hand cut calls. It's not a real cutdown unless it's been cut by hand.

X2. No matter what your choices don't give up. Stick with it and blow the $hit about it.


Some coot stole my fone.
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Hookers and blow.
User avatar
Hbnel5on
hunter
 
Posts: 633
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:58 pm

Re: Which cutdown do you suggest

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:58 pm

Buy a CCC Throwback. Its already cut down Arkansas style and costs one third as much as the previous suggestions. There is no unicorn horn or pixie dust...just straight duck.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: Which cutdown do you suggest

Postby Duck_Stank » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:23 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:Cant go wrong with one of Bryce's calls. Best cutdown for the price if you are just getting into them.

Agree. I like a km olt as well but those are more expensive.
Master of Reality
User avatar
Duck_Stank
hunter
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:35 am
Location: Greenville, Pennsylvania

Re: Which cutdown do you suggest

Postby Bryce_Decker » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:38 am

aunt betty wrote:Buy a CCC Throwback. Its already cut down Arkansas style and costs one third as much as the previous suggestions. There is no unicorn horn or pixie dust...just straight duck.


All cutdowns are cut down when you buy them...and if you can get me one for $27 (approx 1/3 of what most of the suggestions were) I'll take one....also, if you have a line on some unicorn horn or pixie dust, send it along with the call....thanks.
Bryce_Decker
hunter
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:10 pm

Re: Which cutdown do you suggest

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:44 am

Bryce_Decker wrote:
aunt betty wrote:Buy a CCC Throwback. Its already cut down Arkansas style and costs one third as much as the previous suggestions. There is no unicorn horn or pixie dust...just straight duck.


All cutdowns are cut down when you buy them...and if you can get me one for $27 (approx 1/3 of what most of the suggestions were) I'll take one....also, if you have a line on some unicorn horn or pixie dust, send it along with the call....thanks.

Apologizing.
The last cutdown I looked at was close to $300. I quit looking.
I tried a lot of cutdowns and refuse to say which one I liked.
No hard feelings?
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: Which cutdown do you suggest

Postby Bryce_Decker » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:46 pm

aunt betty wrote:
Bryce_Decker wrote:
aunt betty wrote:Buy a CCC Throwback. Its already cut down Arkansas style and costs one third as much as the previous suggestions. There is no unicorn horn or pixie dust...just straight duck.


All cutdowns are cut down when you buy them...and if you can get me one for $27 (approx 1/3 of what most of the suggestions were) I'll take one....also, if you have a line on some unicorn horn or pixie dust, send it along with the call....thanks.

Apologizing.
The last cutdown I looked at was close to $300. I quit looking.
I tried a lot of cutdowns and refuse to say which one I liked.
No hard feelings?


None to begin with. Everyone likes different calls, no shame in that buddy!
Bryce_Decker
hunter
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:10 pm


Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Adubs and 17 guests