Modified mondo?

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

Modified mondo?

Postby ARduckcwby » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:35 pm

Let talk about modified mondo.

I recently got one, and am on the fence whether to have it modified or not. I couldn't find any sound files out the there, so if anyone would, post them up.

If I did decide to have it modified, who does a good job on them? I know there are a lot of good folks who cut calls, but who's got the best reputation on mondos'?
ARduckcwby
hunter

Re: Modified mondo?

Postby Bryce_Decker » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:21 pm

Heath V probably cuts more mondos than anyone except Jim R but his cuts tend to be VERY light. When I cut a call I want it to blow like a cutdown, not a timber call. I've cut several dozen mondos and they are a good call to work with....it all depends on what you're looking for. If the call you got doesn't suit you I'd suggest sending it to Jim because it's his call and I think he should get first dibs on working on it. If you choose to send it to one of the other guys do some digging and find out who's cut would fit you best.
Bryce_Decker
hunter

Postby ducksNgeese91 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:27 pm

^^^ well said
ducksNgeese91
hunter

Postby Hbnel5on » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:44 am

Personally on a mondo I like heaths cut better. I have blown Bryce's but not got the chance to really fill it out. Bryce's monster is a hell of a call though, but as far as a mondo goes I like Heath. Because I like my mondo to be on the same lanyard as my diablo and if I go to wailing on an olt, I overblown the diablo. But heaths cut is smoother and more fluent to run IMO a great call.

MarkM wrote:Poor kid done been friendzoned...
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Hookers and blow.
Hbnel5on
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:13 am

Bryce_Decker wrote:Heath V probably cuts more mondos than anyone except Jim R but his cuts tend to be VERY light. When I cut a call I want it to blow like a cutdown, not a timber call. I've cut several dozen mondos and they are a good call to work with....it all depends on what you're looking for. If the call you got doesn't suit you I'd suggest sending it to Jim because it's his call and I think he should get first dibs on working on it. If you choose to send it to one of the other guys do some digging and find out who's cut would fit you best.

Bryce knows his stuff and it would serve you well to follow his instructions. And since he pointed you in the right direction, when you decide to buy a NASTY cut down, you'll find no better artist than Bryce...
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby Bryce_Decker » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:19 pm

I just like a cutdown to operate like a cutdown....not a standard j-frame...simple as that.
Bryce_Decker
hunter

Postby ARduckcwby » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:04 pm

Bryce knows his stuff and it would serve you well to follow his instructions. And since he pointed you in the right direction, when you decide to buy a NASTY cut down, you'll find no better artist than Bryce...[/quote]

He does make a nice call, my only problem is I don't know which I like better.....AR cut or LA cut. To me, I seem to do better with his LA cut.
ARduckcwby
hunter

Postby Hbnel5on » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:19 pm

I don't think Bryce is cutting la anymore.. I believe he said that he had too many people send them back after they figured it out to have it further cut into ar style he may be able to confirm that.

Hbnel5on
hunter

Postby cupnglide » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:27 pm

Hey OP, curious, what about the original Mondo cut are you hoping to change? Do you want it cleaner? Louder? Easier? Raspier (can't imagine that)?

Jim's cut is one of the best timber sounds you'll find. Some folks judge a cutdown's sound by what it sounds like in hand. Have a friend judge it at 100 yards away. That's how you pick a cutdown.
cupnglide
hunter

Postby Bryce_Decker » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:16 am

I cut my calls 3 different ways: Arkansas style, Louisiana Style, and the Black River cut. I'll do any of those cuts on a keyhole olt but the shape of the toneboard dictates what cut it'll take the best, no 2 olts are the same. I've only had 3 or 4 calls sent back to me and those were early run black monsters and a roundhole olt or 2, and those were to make them blow a little harder once the guys got use to them. I've never been asked for a refund (that I recall) and I'll do whatever it takes to get someone a call that they'd be proud to hang off of their lanyard. About the only thing I've changed is that I WILL NOT send out a super easy blowing call...I believe that defeats the entire purpose of owning a cutdown style call and that if you want an easy blowing call you'd be just as well off to go out and get a loud standard j-frame ....some guys will do it but I will not. As far as the mondo goes, I've modified a bunch of them and I don't mind doing it but it is Jims call and I think he deserves the first shot at cutting on it or re-tuning it.
Bryce_Decker
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:35 am

Well put Bryce, being up north I never knew of a cutdown until I heard Jim blow one at an expo near me in 2012 (I didn't keep up on the gossip at the time). Fell in love right away with the sound. Don't use a mondo anymore (I use to much air) but their nice calls. They all work, personal preference. The more I've used them, the more I want them hand done though.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:37 am

Cupnglide, is the mondo styled after Jim's cut or someone else's? I truly don't know and am curious. I've heard its styled after his old olt.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby Bryce_Decker » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:04 pm

It's modeled after his olt. They can be made to run pretty stout. I always stiffen them up a little and cut out some of the raspy rattle.
Bryce_Decker
hunter

Modified mondo?

Postby cupnglide » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:23 pm

Duck_Stank wrote:Cupnglide, is the mondo styled after Jim's cut or someone else's? I truly don't know and am curious. I've heard its styled after his old olt.

Bryce is right, from what I understand. Jim had made a cut on an old Olt. He had great success with it. They took that shape and determined how it could be replicated in acrylic.

Keep in mind, every single Mondo tone board is hand-shaped and tuned. Most Mondos are a hair on the light side because most buyers can't blow a heavy cut. If you want a heavy one, call and ask for it! The difference between a light cut and a heavy one is very small.

Edit: I am in no way affiliated with RNT. I just like the calls.
cupnglide
hunter

Postby ARduckcwby » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:28 am

cupnglide wrote:Hey OP, curious, what about the original Mondo cut are you hoping to change? Do you want it cleaner? Louder? Easier? Raspier (can't imagine that)?

Jim's cut is one of the best timber sounds you'll find. Some folks judge a cutdown's sound by what it sounds like in hand. Have a friend judge it at 100 yards away. That's how you pick a cutdown.

It just seems a little too much rattle. Other than that, I'm pretty content. I sure don't want it cut to be easier to blow. I like the amount of air it takes....not too little not too much. I like a call that takes a little air to blow. I got a new style d2 round hole that I picked up in classifieds cut by a fella, that is way too easy blow for me. But it makes a nice piece to my collection.

Again, I'm on the fence about having it worked on. I believe I'll take Bryce's suggestion, and see if Jimbo will work on it, if I decide to do so.
ARduckcwby
hunter

Postby Bryce_Decker » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:39 am

The hand cut reeds don't help with that rattle, if you want you can send it to me + $5 for return shipping and I'll put one of my reeds in it and see if I can tune some of that rattle out of it without having to cut on the toneboard....I can probably guess who cut that super easy blowing RH olt...lol
Bryce_Decker
hunter

Postby Hbnel5on » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:04 pm

Bryce_Decker wrote:The hand cut reeds don't help with that rattle, if you want you can send it to me + $5 for return shipping and I'll put one of my reeds in it and see if I can tune some of that rattle out of it without having to cut on the toneboard....I can probably guess who cut that super easy blowing RH olt...lol

Hv I bet

Hbnel5on
hunter

Postby ARduckcwby » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:49 am

Bryce_Decker wrote:The hand cut reeds don't help with that rattle, if you want you can send it to me + $5 for return shipping and I'll put one of my reeds in it and see if I can tune some of that rattle out of it without having to cut on the toneboard....I can probably guess who cut that super easy blowing RH olt...lol

Man, that's a mighty nice gesture of ya!!!! I appreciate the offer. I might just have to take you up on that offer, when I get back in town.

Oh, I'm sure you could guess who cut that round hole olt. I don't want to say, just due to I don't want some folks to think I'm saying anything bad about his cut. It's just too light for me.
ARduckcwby
hunter

Postby Bryce_Decker » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:42 am

ARduckcwby wrote:

Man, that's a mighty nice gesture of ya!!!! I appreciate the offer. I might just have to take you up on that offer, when I get back in town.

Oh, I'm sure you could guess who cut that round hole olt. I don't want to say, just due to I don't want some folks to think I'm saying anything bad about his cut. It's just too light for me.

I know what you're saying...and you know my opinion on a light cut-down....but then again, you know what they say about opinions lol .
Bryce_Decker
hunter

Postby ARduckcwby » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:56 pm

Bryce_Decker wrote:
ARduckcwby wrote:

I know what you're saying...and you know my opinion on a light cut-down....but then again, you know what they say about opinions lol .

Lol. Yeah, I know what they say. We've all got our own opinions. Just because that cut don't fit me, don't give me the right to say anything bad about it, and I won't. I'm sure there are some folks that like it a lot. I'd just hate for someone to take it the wrong way, and cost a man some business.
ARduckcwby
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum