Call Prices - are hunters brain dead?

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker, callinfowl

Call Prices - are hunters brain dead?

Postby Theduckguru » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:47 pm

$200 calls, they sure a purty.
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 12 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter

Re: Call Prices - are hunters brain dead?

Postby War Wagon » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:55 pm

I go thru $ 100.00 in fuel scouting a weekend. A $ 200.00 call sounds high but Waterfowl Hunting is not a cheep :no:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:14 pm

welcome to the free market. Dont like the price of an item... dont buy it. somebody else might be more inclined than you to pay a premium for a premium product, doesnt mean you have to call them brain dead. Maybe you like the $15 duck commander calls and are happy with that... if so good for you, while others are willing and have the money to spend... let them.

and like ^he said waterfowl hunting is not cheap. But you can hunt on a budget or hunt with money as no object and just toss dollars at nice equipment. Id say from nothing it would take $700-1000 to get a fair start in waterfowl hunting and be successful on hunts, that includes calls, waders, coats, gun, ammo, decoys and rigs. Of course I'm sure you could get even cheaper if you shop around and hunt for the best deals or buy second hand. I know the past 4-5 years I've really dropped thousands and thousands on duck and goose hunting and I'm only 20. I'm willing to pay for nice decoys like Dakotas and GHG, I shoot a Browning Maxus, have Cabela's waders, coat and layout blind, two layout boats + trolling motor and a battery, the most expensive call I have is a Haydels and a Zink.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:52 pm

$1500-$15,000 lease
$1200-$1500 shotgun
Like mentioned above waterfowling is not for the frugal :biggrin:
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much

Annoy a Liberal,work hard and be happy
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby finsnfeathershunter » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:23 am

Besides the given season items like licences, stamps and buying shells (in the off season) on clearance sales, I spent $0.00 on anything new or even used for duck hunting.

Hoping to get another year out of my waders and I have enough shells left over that I wont need any for next season as well.

I traded some used hunting equipment for a used mid range $70.00 call this summer.

But yes waterfowl hunting can be expensive to start out. My friends say I am crazy on the amount of $$$ i have spent in the past. I just point out how much it takes them to go snow skiing or their bass fishing.

But like that $200.00 call I will spend that much on my next waders so I guess its all relevant to what equipment is worth to a person.
finsnfeathershunter
State Moderator

Postby Duck_Stank » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:39 am

Some people like duck and goose horns. I have entirely too many...and like it. They are fun and neat to collect. Also a good investment if you ever need cash at a later date. To each their own.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum