Duck Hunting Forum banner

Difference between a $20 call and an expensive call?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  JFord56 
#1 ·
One year of duck hunting under my belt and am curious if there is a big difference between the lower end and high end calls? Will a duck come in better to a high end call?

#5 ·
Trevor Shannahan said:
MOST companies are not producing their best designs in injection molded calls. So for most of the inexpensive calls you are getting a beginner call that is easy to blow, but not super versatile. That is why most poly calls are double reeds as well
Which companies DO produce their best designs in injection molded calls? It's a sincere question; I'm not trying to be a jerk.

#7 ·
Padre said:
Trevor Shannahan said:
MOST companies are not producing their best designs in injection molded calls. So for most of the inexpensive calls you are getting a beginner call that is easy to blow, but not super versatile. That is why most poly calls are double reeds as well
Which companies DO produce their best designs in injection molded calls? It's a sincere question; I'm not trying to be a jerk.
Echo produces the DR Timber and Buck Gardner does almost all of his designs in poly.

#10 ·
If you practice enough with a poly call/ lower end call you can make it do the job. That true with any call. The range high and low - the response and quickness of pitch changes - having that cajun squeel - and quality of the sound will be different. Do you need it to kill a duck - no. If in calling contest yes. If you want to master all types of calling - yes. 'Pends on if you are just a meat hunter or how far you want to go with your calling. I've been after 'um since late 60's & early 70's and my go too was a Yentzen Sure Shot. I just this year wanted to get better and got me RNT DC Diablo and a Buck Gardner. Never have a single reed before. PS I tried a buddies calls - several RNT, a Hobo, Echo's, and a T1 Lares. I have seen the light! :thumbsup: It's going to cost me. :grooving:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.