Call Selection

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

Call Selection

Postby willidru » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:36 am

Now that the seasons over its time to practice getting a little more ducky. Currently I run a DR-85 and a polycarb PH2. I'm a very average caller. I wanted to see if I could get a little advise.
1. Are acrylic calls worth it
2. Do you use multiple calls on the lanyard (feeding, hail ....) what do you look for in the different calls
3. I hunt rice field and natural refuges in California. What would you recommend?

I can't seem to blow a single reed so plan to stay with double. I know the best way to pick a call is to run it to see what works best for you, but I don't have a place to try different calls.
willidru
hunter

Re: Call Selection

Postby Gunnysway » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:40 am

Their pricey, but the most impressive double I have ever had the "privilege" of trying is the Big Seans Custom Calls: Big Mamma II.

Very easy to run, and just flat out nasty. I think there is one in the DHC classifieds for around $110.

Good luck on your quest...
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby cupnglide » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:09 pm

That DR-85 is a duck killing machine. It's not a loud call, though. If you are looking to stick with double reeds, find something loud to complement the DR-85. Lots of good choices out there.
cupnglide
hunter

Postby Spinnerbait » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:31 am

Try a Hobo ICU2 , Kent Cullums (owner) won the World Live Duck Championship with this double reed
Spinnerbait
hunter

Postby Hbnel5on » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:48 am

The alpha 2 that rnt makes is a great call. Also the meat hanger by echo is good too. If you're already used to a ph2 you may want to go with the ph2 in maybe cocobolo or something if you don't want to buy an acrylic one

Some coot stole my fone.
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Hookers and blow.
Hbnel5on
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:18 pm

yes, do not get rid of that dr-85. Awesome call there
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:18 pm

Learn a single, well worth it. They can get softer and louder (if you get the right model) and are easier to produce more ducks out of. Once I learned one and found my favorite its all I will ever use. They don't stick as badly either.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby Bosco11 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:59 pm

I made this transition several years ago. There's no point in getting an expensive call unless you want to learn a single reed. Dr85 can do just about anything you want from a double. A mid range price step up in double reed would be an echo diamonwood. From there I would go rnt short barrel. Best all around hunting call IMHO.
Bosco11
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum