RNT short berral or echo XLT

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker, callinfowl

RNT short berral or echo XLT

Postby OliverLee » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:17 pm

I've heard good things about the RNT short berral and I've also heard good things about the echo XLT. Im thinking of getting one of those two duck calls as my next duck call because the duck call I use now takes way to much air and it's acrylic I want a soft wood call that's not ultra loud. Any help would be great thanks :smile:
OliverLee
hunter

Re: RNT short berral or echo XLT

Postby TomKat » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:58 am

My RNT original acrylic does not take much air to run
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby cleboje » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:28 am

I own both of these calls in acrylic.

Both are great calls that have a ton of duck in them...

But if I had to pick one, I would go with the short barrel as it is easier to get good low end snotty, whiny, squeals at the end of the quacks.

Just a good all-around call that has earned a spot on my lanyard.
cleboje
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:17 am

Short Barrel hands down...get you one in Coco if you can find one. I prefer it over the XLT because it just has more duck on the bottom like the above poster said. Most Echos are way to inconsistent for me and I have never liked them.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby OliverLee » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:24 pm

thanks for all the help any more would also be great :smile:
OliverLee
hunter

Postby DarenDeath » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:50 pm

What is the acrylic call you want to pair it with?
You said you're looking for a softer call so wood is a good plan. XLT (Xtra Loud Timber) is probably not what you want. You want a short barrel, likely bocote and compare that to a bois darc Echo Timber.
Actually you may really want to get a RNT old style, it's probably just what you're looking for.
DarenDeath
hunter

Postby TNAL45 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:08 pm

DarenDeath wrote:Actually you may really want to get a RNT old style, it's probably just what you're looking for.

X2
cannon wrote:Rules, in general, are bad for me. Left to my own resources, I'm a fairly responsible citizen. Once rules are in place, I have an insatiable desire to break them repeatedly. It's a sickness.
TNAL45
hunter

Postby PC76 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:10 pm

Coco XLT my favorite call that I have had the opportunity to run. Can get up and can get down. The closest call is an coco XLT.

http://youtu.be/7OhunHuJefk
PC76
hunter

Postby OliverLee » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:34 pm

Thanks for helping me out guys. The call i have is an acrylic zink paralyzer XR-2 i love the call but it takes a lot of air and it cant do a very fast feet chuckle you run out of breath really fast and its just to laud. So any more help based on that would be great.
OliverLee
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:14 pm

Short Barrel would be a good compliment to an XR-2 IMHO. The SB has more rasp and will get down on the scale whereas the XR-2 has more of a "flatter" (for lack of a better word) and louder sound.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby calls and decoys » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:34 pm

DarenDeath wrote:What is the acrylic call you want to pair it with?
You said you're looking for a softer call so wood is a good plan. XLT (Xtra Loud Timber) is probably not what you want. You want a short barrel, likely bocote and compare that to a bois darc Echo Timber.
Actually you may really want to get a RNT old style, it's probably just what you're looking for.

Good advice. I got a few wood short barrels and love them. I don't think you can go wrong with a wood short barrel. A burnt hedge short barrel is a good one to if you can find one. Very easy to blow. Good low end duck.

I got a burnt hedge new old style also. Love it also. Very easy to blow also and very ducky.
calls and decoys
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum