jj lares vs hobo

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker, callinfowl

jj lares vs hobo

Postby Jerlee3 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:52 pm

i have heard so much good stuff about lares calls do not own one an am interested in one how do they compare to a hobo
DuckSmackersInc.
Jerlee3
hunter

jj lares vs hobo

Postby PC76 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:06 pm

I have blown the t-1 and own a prime meat. Very similar call from what I remember about the lares. I thought It was a little more crisp, or I guess a harder note would be the way to describe it. Of course the pm has a lot of hold built in, and are easy to whine so I can't really compare it there.

As for myself I preferred the hobo because it fits what I am accustomed to and my style of calling. I thought the t-1 was a little closer to an RNT persuasion and the hobo of course echo.
PC76
hunter

Re: jj lares vs hobo

Postby Jerlee3 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:24 pm

thank you sir!
DuckSmackersInc.
Jerlee3
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:11 pm

Not real similar IMHO. The Lares require a much "cleaner" air presentation (no voice/grunt). The Lares calls are much raspier, so this air presentation is what you need in order to blow them. The PM was always a fairly light call for me with an inconsistent top end. I like the Lares because they have the bark of a cutdown but the versatility of a regular duck call. Another plus of the Lares...no cork :thumbsup:

My advice to you would be to call the shop and talk with Bret or Joe. If you call from 8 AM-3 PM PST, you will most likely get Bret. if you call after, you will get Mr. Joe. They will help answer any questions for you and set you up with the right model/reed combination. If you call, tell them Ben Perez from NC sent ya :thumbsup:

Hope some of this helps. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:22 pm

Gotta level with ya's... I bought a Hobo from Macks a few weeks ago and sent it back. I couldn't believe they tuned a call that badly and shipped it to a retailer. I have extra reeds so I tuned it myself and got it sounding better but still wasn't great as everyone claimed.
BKScripto
hunter

Postby ducksNgeese91 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:41 pm

I'm thinking kent has had his head up his ass lately. I've tried contacting him many different times with no reply. I liked hobo calls before the customer service went to hell.
ducksNgeese91
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:12 pm

ducksNgeese91 wrote:I'm thinking kent has had his head up his ass lately. I've tried contacting him many different times with no reply. I liked hobo calls before the customer service went to hell.

Didn't know that things were going downhill before I bought the call. It's definitely bad because that reed was nipped wayyy too short and one blow and you'd know it was way off. Sounded more like a kazoo.
BKScripto
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:53 am

BKScripto wrote:
ducksNgeese91 wrote:I'm thinking kent has had his head up his ass lately. I've tried contacting him many different times with no reply. I liked hobo calls before the customer service went to hell.

Didn't know that things were going downhill before I bought the call. It's definitely bad because that reed was nipped wayyy too short and one blow and you'd know it was way off. Sounded more like a kazoo.

Kent tunes calls very light
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum