Does Lares make a j frame call?

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker

Does Lares make a j frame call?

Postby mudjunky1 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:48 am

Please excuse my ignorance. I like j-frame calls over other styles mainly because of ease of tuning. Haven't gotten the hang of tuning other styles.
mudjunky1
hunter

Re: Does Lares make a j frame call?

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:26 am

Pretty sure they've made some j-frames in the past, but the current design is like the Duck Commander calls', more of an L-frame, with the reed butting up against the bottom of the "L". The real wizardry at Lares is being the only maker I'm aware of that sells pre-cut reeds of varying lengths to make tuning for personal fit something anyone can easily accomplish just by dropping the different reeds into the call.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby goosewacker1 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am

the Lares comp calls are a type of J-frame cork design.......
not currently manufactured
similar in size to their A-5 call
Lares calls are top notch in my book :yes:
goosewacker1
hunter

Postby mudjunky1 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:37 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Pretty sure they've made some j-frames in the past, but the current design is like the Duck Commander calls', more of an L-frame, with the reed butting up against the bottom of the "L". The real wizardry at Lares is being the only maker I'm aware of that sells pre-cut reeds of varying lengths to make tuning for personal fit something anyone can easily accomplish just by dropping the different reeds into the call.

Do they come with all the different reed lengths or do you have to ask them to add the reeds to the order?

I don't know of anywhere close buy the has them. I am looking for one that is on the loud side to complement my Microhen, but that has good range as well. What do yall recommend??
mudjunky1
hunter

Postby mudjunky1 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:45 pm

And just wondering what is everybody's favorite Lares call?
mudjunky1
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:50 pm

They come with a shop chosen reed length, and you have to buy the others separately, either individually or in a kit with all.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby mudjunky1 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:50 pm

Rick Hall wrote:They come with a shop chosen reed length, and you have to buy the others separately, either individually or in a kit with all.

Ok I have been wanting to try one. I just do not know which one I want to try first. I think it will probably be between the hybrid and the a5. I want something on the loud side to go with my microhen, but that also has the duck on the bottom.
mudjunky1
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:17 pm

mudjunky1 wrote:And just wondering what is everybody's favorite Lares call?

T-1 but the Hybrid is a close second :yes: :yes:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Bryce_Decker » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:22 pm

T1 regular bore and the Hybrid are the exact same call with a different barrel....I prefer the looks of the T1 barrel.
Bryce_Decker
hunter

Postby OregonSpeck85 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:34 pm

T1 small bore but really want to play around with a hybrid
OregonSpeck85
hunter

Postby mudjunky1 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:37 pm

Would the t1 make a loud open water/ field call? Or would yall choose one of there other calls?
mudjunky1
hunter

Postby cleboje » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:24 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Pretty sure they've made some j-frames in the past, but the current design is like the Duck Commander calls', more of an L-frame, with the reed butting up against the bottom of the "L". The real wizardry at Lares is being the only maker I'm aware of that sells pre-cut reeds of varying lengths to make tuning for personal fit something anyone can easily accomplish just by dropping the different reeds into the call.

Not really, I got a Duckall from Grover Knoll in 1995 that came with a set of pre-cut reeds of different lengths to be able to tune the call to the caller... :hammer:
cleboje
hunter

Postby tsaylor1979 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:55 pm

For me it's hybrid all the way. I prefer the shape and it has a TON of range. Like others have said, the t-1 is almost the same call. The A-5 is loud but doesn't have the bottom end of the hybrid in my opinion. Either way, if you buy a lares you can't go wrong.
tsaylor1979
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:12 pm

cleboje wrote:

Not really, I got a Duckall from Grover Knoll in 1995 that came with a set of pre-cut reeds of different lengths to be able to tune the call to the caller... :hammer:

IGood on Grover Knoll.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby mudjunky1 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:14 pm

Bryce_Decker wrote:T1 regular bore and the Hybrid are the exact same call with a different barrel....I prefer the looks of the T1 barrel.

So the 2 sound the same? Same volume and range?
mudjunky1
hunter

Postby cleboje » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:28 am

Close, close race for me between T-1 regular bore and the Hybrid...they both can get up and down, if you know what I mean.

My favorite Lares hands down is the T-1 small bore...that thing is pure duck. :beer:
Lares calls.jpg
cleboje
hunter

Postby tsaylor1979 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:46 am

mudjunky1 wrote:
Bryce_Decker wrote:T1 regular bore and the Hybrid are the exact same call with a different barrel....I prefer the looks of the T1 barrel.

Close, but not the same. The barrel length makes a slight difference. The hybrid is a bit longer and I think that allows for a little more control. At least for me.
tsaylor1979
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:08 am

tsaylor1979 wrote:
mudjunky1 wrote:

Close, but not the same. The barrel length makes a slight difference. The hybrid is a bit longer and I think that allows for a little more control. At least for me.

The Hybrid will be easier to lean on without getting flat for most as well.
mayhem96
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum