Lares suggestions??

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

Lares suggestions??

Postby Lawelch » Fri May 30, 2014 4:30 pm

Really interested in getting a lares call problem is I havnt blown any just hear em online. I hunt in South LA marshes and bays. Any suggestions??
Lawelch
hunter

Re: Lares suggestions??

Postby clampdaddy » Fri May 30, 2014 7:36 pm

I love my A-5. When I called to place an order Joe asked me what kind of sound I liked in a call. I told him that I liked a deeper bossy hen sound so he pointed me towards the A-5 and some longer reeds. Worked out great for me. Call them up. Joe is a super friendly guy and will help you pick out a call.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat May 31, 2014 5:06 am

I'm not a Lares duck call guy (love their current speck), but I hunt a pothole in SWLA marsh and use an inherently loud call much more than a quiet one, so I'd want an open bored model. Know a fellow who goes by "creole" on this board uses a Lares in SWLA marsh, so you might want to try PMing him if he doesn't see this thread. (Don't think he capitalizes the "c" but could be wrong.)
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Lawelch » Sat May 31, 2014 9:43 am

Thanks Rick he already pm'd me. Whereabouts u from and hunt!
Lawelch
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat May 31, 2014 5:22 pm

I guide for Doug's Hunting Lodge, camp's in Klondike, and we hunt Cameron, Jeff Davis, Vermilion and Acadia parishes, but my morning blind is in the fresh marsh just south of the camp and north of the Intracoastal, "Lulu's marsh".
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sat May 31, 2014 8:41 pm

clampdaddy wrote:I love my A-5. When I called to place an order Joe asked me what kind of sound I liked in a call. I told him that I liked a deeper bossy hen sound so he pointed me towards the A-5 and some longer reeds. Worked out great for me. Call them up. Joe is a super friendly guy and will help you pick out a call.

Joe doesn't do much with the company anymore but Bret will hook ya up :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:45 am

mayhem96 wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:I love my A-5. When I called to place an order Joe asked me what kind of sound I liked in a call. I told him that I liked a deeper bossy hen sound so he pointed me towards the A-5 and some longer reeds. Worked out great for me. Call them up. Joe is a super friendly guy and will help you pick out a call.

Joe doesn't do much with the company anymore but Bret will hook ya up :thumbsup:

That's to bad. Joe was a great guy to deal with. I got Bret one the phone one time and he wasn't nearly as easy to talk with as Joe was. Might gave been because he just got back from some big competition in Maryland. Probably backlogged with orders that Joe took while he was gone.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:31 am

I've found Bret personable enough, just not one of the guys that makes you wish you'd poured a cup of coffee or cracked open a cold drink before calling the shop.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby ffmcfaull » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:09 pm

Bret just bought the company from Joe
Watching one sunrise at a time
ffmcfaull
hunter

Postby robairto » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:41 pm

Rick Hall wrote:I've found Bret personable enough, just not one of the guys that makes you wish you'd poured a cup of coffee or cracked open a cold drink before calling the shop.

This is well put. I've found Bret to be either hot or cold and very opinionated about the calls he sells and less than willing to
build me the same call Joe approved the day before. I wish him the best but he could learn customer service skills go beyond taking orders and a credit card#. I'll buy the used calls till I see a change.
robairto
hunter

Postby DarenDeath » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:10 pm

robairto wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:I've found Bret personable enough, just not one of the guys that makes you wish you'd poured a cup of coffee or cracked open a cold drink before calling the shop.

This is well put. I've found Bret to be either hot or cold and very opinionated about the calls he sells and less than willing to
build me the same call Joe approved the day before. I wish him the best but he could learn customer service skills go beyond taking orders and a credit card#. I'll buy the used calls till I see a change.

I have to agree with robairto here. I finally met Bret last weekend and we chatted a bit, he's a nice guy and will certainly help if you've got the right questions. Does that make sense? I mean that if compared to the older gen guys like Butch or Rick, or Joe, he doesn't have the insight. However he won't bs you like many company's will and he'll get you what you ask, if you ask. I really like the Lares line and hunt a hybrid along my RM. But I've always had the best customer service from RM calls or the Echo shop.
DarenDeath
hunter

Postby tsaylor1979 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:58 pm

I'm definitely not trying to stir the pot here. I just wanted to put it on the record that I've never had a bad experience buying calls from Bret or Joe. Both guys have given me their advice and opinions. I've shared stories with both men. I've bought several calls from both.

Joe is one **** of a guy. Bret is doing a fine job IMO.
tsaylor1979
hunter

Postby BDG » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:13 pm

robairto wrote:I've found Bret to be very opinionated about the calls he sells.

If a back to back world champion is offering an opinion...it may be a good idea to listen. Joe made a great call. Bret has the ability and knowledge to take Lares Calls to the next level. I watched Bret helping a customer pick out a call at the CWA event they just had. He asked the right questions and guided the customer to the call that fit him best. He's direct, but the advice he offers is pretty top shelf. He'll get more business from me just so I can pick his brain.
BDG
hunter

Postby CrazyDrake » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:19 pm

I just cant wait to buy a call with that orange pearl insert when they get them back in stock. :grooving:
CrazyDrake
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:38 am

Just got off the phone with Brett. He was in a much better mood today. Had a good talk about their calls and I ended up ordering one. If anybody wants to know, they're discontinuing the 3 panel checkering and will have the old style full checkerd barrels available in a couple weeks.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby simp » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:04 pm

I got the last 3 panel that he had today.
simp
Newb

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:28 pm

simp wrote:I got the last 3 panel that he had today.

I hate you. :lol3:
clampdaddy
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum