need help

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

need help

Postby deadeyehawkins » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:34 am

Going to purchase my first good double reed duck call would like to hear from those that have used calls a lot and find out which call is the best I hunt a lot of ponds etc some are pretty open in Kansas cost of the call isn't a concern a good one that will sound great is what matters.
deadeyehawkins
hunter

Re: need help

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:56 pm

Haydel's DR-85 and its internal twin Redleg (same guts in a nicer body) are the runaway favorite calls in my area for good reason, but there is no one best call for all physiologies, methodologies and tone preferences, and I much preferred RNT's Quackhead Double-J: http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-RNT019?src=Y0807GL0N0N10000&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&gclid=CJK1kJCh674CFSsV7AodaFYA6A. Consequently, if I felt the need for a top shelf double and didn't know how to cobble it myself, I'd probably ask RNT to pop a second reed in one of the Originals the poly J-frame was molded from.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:17 pm

Even though its a silly looking call, the Zink ATM is a sweet running double. The Doc Hull DD1 set up as a double is another one of my favorites.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby berganser » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:35 pm

Try Winglock Calls-Rick can set ya up.
Good Double for a good price :thumbsup:
Hey, Let's go Huntin'!!
Committed Custom Calls! Try one out!!
berganser
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:01 am

If you haven't bought one yet, go onto Duck call Exchange and get in touch with Todd Broan. He makes acrylic duck calls for $20 and they run great!
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:48 pm

Rainman Calls has one called White Lightning. Its a custom double-reed, sounds great, and I've see a couple guides who advertize on this site use them to get heaps of ducks for their clients.

Here is a picture of one.
Mines black but you can get white as well.
I think they're $80.
1402865249016.jpg
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Huntfish12 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:54 am

Ive ran alot of doubles and sooner or later they will stick. Probably can be said for alot of singles too. I ran a a couple different Hayes calls before and I like the Bawlin chain the best. Also, a Goey Swamp Laundry is on my list of calls to pick up. I was at a toss up between those two and chickened out and decided to save my money. Goey would be my choice between the two though.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby marsh water » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:08 am

echo has a wood and poly double that I have used for quite a while. It may stick in colder than Texas winters but so far so good. I waxed the reeds. And they are good looking calls. I have about 100 calls and the echo is my go to call usually. RNT poly calls are pretty good for an inexpensive call and like the man said I use a zink some. Go to Cabelas or a Bass Pro and try a bunch till you get one that suits your style and get that one.
marsh water
hunter

Postby bloodnguts » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:33 am

I just received a winglock double reed in the mail today to go with my winglock goose whisperer. I have a pretty favorible impression of this call, and I doubt one would find a much better double for the price. I think it's got real good volume for a double reed, and almost sounds like a single reed, which I have never been able to blow.
bloodnguts
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum