Newbie Call Questions

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker

Newbie Call Questions

Postby ropotan » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:28 am

Hey everyone, I'm a complete duck hunting newbie that has recently taken interest in duck calls and how calling works. I have a few questions for you guys, if I may.

I'm interested in what calls are typically used for different duck species. For Mallards, for example, I've seen tons of videos of people showing off Feed chuckles, Greet and Hail calls (along with some more, like Comeback calls, Pleading calls and Lonesome Hen calls).
I'm really fascinated by this.

I've looked up how calls work for other species too (Wood Duck, Pintail, Wigeon, Teal, to name a few), but it seems there's only one call used per specie, for these. Is this correct? Even if, like in the case of Mallards, where I also found people saying you don't need to use all the calls I've mentioned above, and 1 call type is enough, I'd still be interested if anyone uses more types of calls for other species as well.

Thanks!
ropotan
Newb

Re: Newbie Call Questions

Postby Honk-n-quack » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:26 pm

All I use is a goose call and mallard call, but I do turn to my widgeon whistle sometimes. Works well on call shy ducks
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby DuckNoobie » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:29 pm

You're likely to get more mileage out of a Mallard hen call + Teal/Pintail/Widgeon whistle than any other combination of calls. You can often pull other duck species in with a Mallard hen call, but the whistle has its place for sure.
DuckNoobie
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:07 pm

Learning to call ducks from a book or internet is very dificult. (I tried)
Sell the book and use the cash to go on some guided hunts. Watch, listen, take notes, and figure out what noises to make when and how the timing works.

If you dont know what you are doing it dont matter what kind of calls you use or abuse.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum