winglock calls

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker, callinfowl

winglock calls

Postby getducks » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:03 pm

Hey guys i was just wondering about a 2 reed i just bought not to long ago and its the only duck call i got.Im new to the sport i love this call but is this the only call i need can you do everything you need to with this call THANKS
This is it does not get much better than this
getducks
hunter

Postby plainsman » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:49 pm

That will depend on the type of hunting you do and in what kind of area's.Large lakes, small ponds, timber etc. Need more info.I use a Winglock double while it's warm out, but have to put it away when the temp. drops.
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby worknem » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:27 pm

Plainsman,
How low of temp are you talking about your WL sticking? The Delrin Poly of Rick's I've got has never done the dirty deed on me. Of course it doesn't get that cold here in CA. Just curious.

Rel Atwood
worknem
hunter

Postby plainsman » Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:22 pm

Not sure of exact temp. It's about when you can see your breath. Condensation is a horrible thing :pissed:
I'll be buying a Giden and a Doc call for next season to stop this problem. Both calls are pretty much stick-proof :thumbsup:
plainsman
hunter

Postby worknem » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:33 am

plainsman,
Sounds like (due to the temp you're tlking about) there's more going on. You should prolly give Rick Perry a call (309) 274-2253 or "E" him about what's going on. Maybe he can give some help.

dukkalr@yahoo.com

Good luck.

Rel Atwood
worknem
hunter

Postby plainsman » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:35 am

worknem wrote:plainsman,
Sounds like (due to the temp you're tlking about) there's more going on. You should prolly give Rick Perry a call (309) 274-2253 or "E" him about what's going on. Maybe he can give some help.

Already have. And he's basically admitted his J- frame calls stick. It's the nature of the beast. He'd have to re-design his inserts and it doesn't seem like he's to interested.
plainsman
hunter

Re: winglock calls

Postby worknem » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:11 pm

getducks wrote:Hey guys i was just wondering about a 2 reed i just bought not to long ago and its the only duck call i got.Im new to the sport i love this call but is this the only call i need can you do everything you need to with this call THANKS

getducks, IMO the call you've got is capable of any environment you'll be hunting in. It carries well in open H20, sounds the way one would expect a mid price range call to in all closer in and tight hunting situations. As a new to the sport caller, may I recommend, before you dive off into filling up your spare sock drawer as most folks (self included) do over time, get the basics down well with what you've got, then try as many calls as you can get access to, finding one that fits you.
Yes, I do use Ricks DR with the "J" Frame, have been very satisfied with it, it's the only Mallard call on my lanyard. It does not mean however, that it'll be what I'm using next season. I'm not big on forming an allegiance to any one callmaker, IMO all the makers out there today produce functional products, and firmly believe calls are a personal choice item. One uses what works best for em, regardless of who spun it.
Good luck with what you are blowing now, and, if you feel that doesn't cut it for ya, with whatever you end up with.

plainsman: Sorry the WL hasn't worked out for ya. When I tried to get you to contact Rick I was attempting to avoid the old all calls stick to some degree debate. There is a lot of variables involved, and some do stick worse than others, but I've heard all I've been exposed to lock it up now and then. It isn't though, a good deal to have one that does it often. Generally something else up. Usually Rick would at least try to find a root cause. Bad day maybe? It still might be worth re-contacting Rick and giving it a shot. Suggest to him that Rel recommended it. LOL! Ya never know. Whatever the case, if ya go on to other makers and calls or work through what's up with the WL, best of luck.

Best of luck to you also, in your search "getducks". It can be a long fun road. BTW. Welcome to the sport....

Rel Atwood
worknem
hunter

Postby plainsman » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:38 pm

I've just had it stick way to much when the cooler weather came in. It would work good for the first flock or two but was pretty much useless after that. It's now up for trade. Great for warm weather though.
plainsman
hunter

Postby worknem » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:17 pm

Bump..... :eek:

Rel Atwood
worknem
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:05 pm

I do like the call but get yourself a Primos Wench. Cheaper and one of the best calls ever made in my opinion. If you know how to use it. PM me if you have any questions.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby plummo » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:33 am

Ye i agree PLAINSMAN.Its al abot da temprtur.I myslf gt hi-ly frstr8d wen tht hapns.As for the callr situation i use a Simpl old Haydels Dr-85 and A "Scotch Goose" caller, jigiling it , it maks a prfct feed call! :thumbsup:
plummo
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum