Duck Hunting Forum banner

loudest duck call

7K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  aunt betty 
#1 ·
Hi all, what is the loudest duck call you have used?

#4 ·
Honk-n-quack said:
Is it possible to buy a Kryptonite (ebay or such) and send it in to Buck Gardner and have it modified?
I have no idea. I bought mine used and it had a different insert and bore then one I bought from cabelas. Some guy on the forums was selling about 6-7 of these inserts a few years ago. You could try. Or buy a RNT MVP, Echo Boss, Addiction Overdose, Refuge BUS, Banded Cap'n, or some of the other comp calls available that are designed to be loud. Easier route of course.

#8 ·
Got my CCC Big Bore today. Definately has some Volume in it. I'm sure it's got more to!
Gary did it right with this one. ( Nothing wrong with the others ) The Sig Big Bore is a Lanyard Hanger for sure.
Top to Bottom just a Smoothe running call. Loud, Raspy, Good Squeal in it and a Steady runner.
I hope you guys get a chance to try one out :thumbsup:

#12 ·
Be advised that loud usually comes with a cost in wind that may negate its value to you.

I'm thinking now of a MVP Butch over-bored for a fellow wanting "the loudest possible hunting call". After deciding something else would better suit his purpose, that fellow was nice enough to give the call to me, and I could hardly wait to see what our high and wide or super windy or rainy day open marsh ducks thought of it.

Turned out that it would, in fact, seem to break birds farther out than the standard bore MVP that's been my workhorse. But by the time I got most turned, I was too often too winded to stay on them as hard as need be long enough to truly break their original momentum to points elsewhere and would lose them to it. And there wasn't much point in breaking what I couldn't finish, so I've stuck with the standard MVP I have the wind to stay on from A to Z.

Your mileage may, of course, vary...

#14 ·
Without knowing it Rick just put his finger on why Throwbacks are so good. imo
They're loud and don't take a leaf blower to blow one.
I'm a small person with not a lot of lung capacity.
Some of the cut downs and other super loud calls like my reelfoot Glynn Scobey take a body twice my size to work right. A set of Mayan lungs maybe?

The call will cut wind but if its real windy I abandon the woods and head back to camp. It aint safe to be out there in a storm.

#15 ·
I do not have one of Gary's new big bores yet, but I do have one of his original calls which the big bore guts are modeled after, with some modifications. If it is anything like his original you can lean on it as hard as you would ever want to and the call can handle it. Like AB said, it's a responsive call and doesn't take near as much air to make it scream as some other calls require.

#18 ·
Not sure if it is an age thing, the older I get the less wind I want to waste on calling and not turn blue in the face as some have mentioned. My son, buddies and myself hunt the big water up here quite often as well as some rivers that are loud as well from rapids etc. After years of many calls my son asked if it was possible to make a call loud and easy to blow,, many hours on tone boards I finally got it with low air volume and much louder than the DR85 and wood at that,, my son and buddies seem to be happy with the out come,, most of all me as I am getting to age where much rather enjoy the calling without passing out. Just my 2cents

#19 ·
Up where I often hunt, which is quite a bit so I can visit my daughter and take her hunting, everybody blows regular style double reeds and the occasional single reed. When we go I put two calls on my lanyard, and the loudest one is a cutdown call. Nobody blows a cutdown call and ever since I got introduced to one a few years back I fallen in love with them for two reasons:

1. They can be versatile with volume and sound extremely realistic if you can work one well.
2. If your the only one using one, the ducks usually will gravitate to something different if it is displays realism.

For me anyway, loud has to be different within it.

#21 ·
I know what I like in a call and why. Will try and describe it.
A good meat call sounds awful up close. Deep and 'clacky' sounding.
Thats what a good cut down sounds like to me as well. Stand next to someone who can really run one and it sounds BAD. Walk about 50 yards away and listen...it sounds just like a duck that's the dominant hen.

That's what miller means by ¨different¨ I think. It sure is different than what most guys are blowing.

#22 ·
aunt betty said:
I know what I like in a call and why. Will try and describe it.
A good meat call sounds awful up close. Deep and 'clacky' sounding.
Thats what a good cut down sounds like to me as well. Stand next to someone who can really run one and it sounds BAD. Walk about 50 yards away and listen...it sounds just like a duck that's the dominant hen.

That's what miller means by ¨different¨ I think. It sure is different than what most guys are blowing.
You got it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.