The next call.

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

The next call.

Postby jellotree » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:56 am

Trying to decide on the next duck call, looking at Echo or another RNT.

I run an RNT SB and a Microhen. I like them both. I sent both to get tuned by Butch (asked him to set the calls up as they were designed to be run), just got them back. Here's my take.

The SB sounds great to me, a little harder to run than I remember, but I also haven't practised in a coupled months. I find it a bit overly raspy, but that seems to benefit it on the low end. The jury is still out for me, but it is a good call and I'm going to put more time on it for sure.

The Microhen was great last season when we hunt one of our honey holes that surround by trees. I also tried a Coco RNT NOS, but wasn't a fan of that call.

This brings me to either adding to the lanyard, or even replacing a call. I hunt open public marsh, small fields, big river and the some back water ponds normally surrounded by trees.

I'm looking at the Echo Timber, XLT, or even the new ODB. Based on what I already have, I'm not sure which of these would fit in where. Although I understand that the XLT is somewhere near the SB in volume. I'm not looking for loud open water calls as I've gone that route before and didn't have much use for it.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
jellotree
hunter

Re: The next call.

Postby Gunnysway » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:03 pm

The XLT is a great call, but I've always had an affinity for the Timber. Nasty, whiny and easy to run...
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby MNGunner » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:11 pm

The XLT is probably my favorite call (maybe tied with the Pure Meat). It's very versatile--good top and bottom. Just a great overall call. If I could only have one call it'd probably be the XLT. You can get fairly quiet on it too.

The Timber is also a great call, but more 'specialized' (i.e. limited). Awesome call (I have an acrylic and a cocobolo with acrilic insert) for close in calling (or where a louder call is just too much). Very ducky.

So, I guess it depends on what you want. If you want more of a compliment call for your SB, I'd say get the Timber. If you want a great all around call, I'd say get the XLT.
MNGunner
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:34 am

I thought it might supply some insight if I asked what is wrong with the last call you bought?
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby jellotree » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:01 pm

aunt betty wrote:I thought it might supply some insight if I asked what is wrong with the last call you bought?

The NOS? I just found it to be not much different from the Microhen. As far as volume and use went.

I've been running the SB a bit every day, and the tuning Butch did has really grown on me. Very realistic sounding. It's got that bit of squeak to it that you hear in live ducks (if that makes sense). Especially on the low end.

I like the inherent raspy tone to the SB, just had to adjust my technique I guess. I have even considered a Daisy Cutter to add to the mix. But I've watched a few of Echo's hunting vids and liked the sound of the calls they were using. Which is why I was considering them.

PS. I recorded a sound file of me on the SB. I'll try to upload later.
jellotree
hunter

Postby jellotree » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:48 am

Here's a clip of me on the Shortbarrel. Excuse the bad quacks at the beginning and the long pauses. Still working on my control.

http://youtu.be/FMTn3R0VN0o
jellotree
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:34 am

I see you are into RnT calls so I'll recommend you get an MVP. SKIP getting a DC because it drives like a 1952 Ford pickup. (no power steering).

The entire line of RnT calls sound the same to me but the MVP...let's say if I had to buy ONE duck call and get it right the first time and it had to be an RnT, I'd go straight for the MVP. I've owned and sold all the RnT calls except MVP but I did keep my cheap hunter series timber call. That's the best call RnT makes for the money imo.
I just never had the change to throw $150 into an envelope and buy an MVP or I would. I keep trying to steal one from a certain member I hunt with. It's an on-going joke. :smile:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Shotgunner12 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:09 pm

I have always loved my echo timber. Great close in call. I can go from raspy to high and squealin very easily.
Hand me some more shells!
Shotgunner12
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum