Question for you Echo guys

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker, callinfowl

Question for you Echo guys

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:07 am

I was helping my uncle move and he had a call in a box of stuff that had a custom barrel stuffed with a poly Echo insert. He said it was an Open Water double reed. It was a really nice sounding call. Would that basically be the same as a Meat hanger?
clampdaddy
hunter

Re: Question for you Echo guys

Postby MNGunner » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:15 am

No. Different barrel and insert. Open Waters are way louder too.
MNGunner
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:43 pm

I ended up sending an email to echo and they said that the closest thing in their acrylic line of calls would be the Meat hanger.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby dskinne » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:56 am

Here's another question for you echo guys. I'm looking at getting another call, I'm use to a timber wood/poly DR but I'm thinking about going to a single reed. Where I normally hunt is not thick timber but not extremely open. I won't be blowing any hail calls or anything like that so I'm looking for a good medium to close up call. I've narrowed it down to Echo timber, Echo breaker, Echo XLT, Echo pure meat and I know I said I'm thinking about a single reed but the Echo DRT.
dskinne
hunter

Postby curtdawg88 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:32 am

dskinne wrote:Here's another question for you echo guys. I'm looking at getting another call, I'm use to a timber wood/poly DR but I'm thinking about going to a single reed. Where I normally hunt is not thick timber but not extremely open. I won't be blowing any hail calls or anything like that so I'm looking for a good medium to close up call. I've narrowed it down to Echo timber, Echo breaker, Echo XLT, Echo pure meat and I know I said I'm thinking about a single reed but the Echo DRT.

I just bought an Echo Breaker this weekend. I wouldn't say that it fits your category of medium to close up call. It a pretty loud call. It will come down and do the close in work, but there are others that are more designed for that.
If guns kill people, how does anyone make it out of a gun show alive?
curtdawg88
hunter

Postby MNGunner » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:48 am

dskinne wrote:Here's another question for you echo guys. I'm looking at getting another call, I'm use to a timber wood/poly DR but I'm thinking about going to a single reed. Where I normally hunt is not thick timber but not extremely open. I won't be blowing any hail calls or anything like that so I'm looking for a good medium to close up call. I've narrowed it down to Echo timber, Echo breaker, Echo XLT, Echo pure meat and I know I said I'm thinking about a single reed but the Echo DRT.

I have all those single reeds you mentioned. For me the Timber is much quieter than the XLT, Breaker or Pure Meat. The latter three are all bout the same volume (the XLT is a little louder than the others). The Timber has much less range than the other three.

Loudest to quietest: XLT, Breaker, Pure Meat (but they're all really close in volume)
Most forgiving to least forgiving: Breaker, Pure Meat, XLT (if you're switching doubles to singles, the Breaker is really hard to overblow)

For me, the XLT is the raspiest, Pure Meat has most whine and Breaker is more nasally. Out of those three, the Breaker is my least favorite. For what you've described, I'd probably use the Pure Meat. The Pure Meat (and the XLT) both have great bottom end.

If you want a good double with more range, I'd recommend the Meat Hanger over the DRT. My friend just got one and loves it.

Hope that helps! I'd like to hear what others think as well that have experience with all those calls.
MNGunner
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum