Any DIY cutdown tips?

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

Any DIY cutdown tips?

Postby mudjunky1 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:05 pm

Anybody ever cut their own olt STYLE call? I wouldn trust myself with a real Olt. I have been thinking about giving it a try, but I don't really know where to get started. What grit(s) sandpaper to use ? Freehand with the sandpaper or attach it to something to keep it stationary? If I attach it to something, should it be flat or rounded surface? Any help would be great help. I'm starting from scratch here. :help:
mudjunky1
hunter

Re: Any DIY cutdown tips?

Postby KyMike » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:29 pm

Find a cut you like and try to copy it. Keep checking the sound of the call as you modify it and you will learn how what you do to the call effects the sound. I heard Kirk on Kelly 's show say he was coming out with a how to video. That was last year so I guess it did not happen.
KyMike
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:49 pm

Kirk now sells the supplies. What mud said though is correct. I use a nail file. Takes longer but you likely won't mess one up. Just check it often.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby mudjunky1 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:10 pm

What call would you recommend starting out on. I'm thinking about a DJ. I think it is supposed to be really close to an olt.
mudjunky1
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:29 pm

Haven't checked their site in a long time but Rolling Thunder used to offer uncut inserts pretty cheap.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:30 am

Where do you get the the unicorn horn and fairy dust?
:sarcmark:
Last edited by aunt betty on Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby KyMike » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:53 am

It comes in Kirk's kit AB. Smells funny but tastes pretty good.

Echo, BSOD, DJ are all good starting places
KyMike
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:19 am

If I file a teeny bit off the tone board of a yentzen it's a Betty-cut and is priceless. :sarcmark:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:14 pm

Take more than a tiny bit off those stubby Yentzen toneboards and you'll probably have a short reed goose call.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby marsh water » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:05 pm

get you a good key hole olt, a small file and go to town. I've got one I cut down years ago under the eye of a cajun named Bobby shaksanader. That was all they used. They took a file to the toneboard and worked the toneboard till it sounded like they wanted it to. Got it within about a half or little more of the tone channel. those calls scream. Super loud and raspy. I hunted in the woods from a piano blind with them and saw mallards turn over on their backs and drop through the trees till they got just off the water and started to drop straight down like big old balloons. I kept my call in my pocket the first season. But you can make your own. Just dont touch the tone channel.
marsh water
hunter

Postby mudjunky1 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:57 pm

marsh water wrote:get you a good key hole olt, a small file and go to town. I've got one I cut down years ago under the eye of a cajun named Bobby shaksanader. That was all they used. They took a file to the toneboard and worked the toneboard till it sounded like they wanted it to. Got it within about a half or little more of the tone channel. those calls scream. Super loud and raspy. I hunted in the woods from a piano blind with them and saw mallards turn over on their backs and drop through the trees till they got just off the water and started to drop straight down like big old balloons. I kept my call in my pocket the first season. But you can make your own. Just dont touch the tone channel.

I'm gonna start on a little cheaper call that is easier to replace if I screw it up. Later when I get down a cut that I like and figure out what files work best, I may try on an Olt. I don't think I'm gonna start there tho. I don't have anyone to keep watch so I dont screw it up. Lol
mudjunky1
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:17 pm

aunt betty wrote:If I file a teeny bit off the tone board of a yentzen it's a Betty-cut and is worthless.

FIFY
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Bryce_Decker » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:40 pm

For the love of God, don't copy someone else's cut....come up with one of your own.
Bryce_Decker
hunter

Postby Bryce_Decker » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:42 pm

Get a couple of roundhole olts to start with...they are easier IMO...but some have to have the insert bored out to get any kind of volume out of them...which is easy to do. Kirks cast molded call kit would be a good one too....the inject molded calls are a total pain in the ass.
Bryce_Decker
hunter

Postby mudjunky1 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:28 am

Bryce_Decker wrote:Get a couple of roundhole olts to start with...they are easier IMO...but some have to have the insert bored out to get any kind of volume out of them...which is easy to do. Kirks cast molded call kit would be a good one too....the inject molded calls are a total pain in the ass.

So you would recommend Kirk's Uncut call or a DJ over the others?
mudjunky1
hunter

Postby KyMike » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:35 pm

Bryce, I did not mean to go and just copy a cut. Thats no fun. But starting out there's no instruction on what to change to get the sound you like. By having a pre cut call you like you have a template. By filing then routinely checking the sound you get to understand how changing each part of the toneboard changes the sound and use of the call. Having a sound goal in mind when you start will save a lot of ruined toneboards.
KyMike
hunter

Postby Greenhead Rocker » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:48 pm

Is anybody out there cutting the new echo cutdown? Thinking of getting one and thought I'd ask first.
Greenhead Rocker
hunter

Postby mudjunky1 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:55 pm

mudjunky1
hunter

Postby Bryce_Decker » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:30 pm

BSOD uncut is a good call also...but the material is very hard and very hard to work on...which might be a good thing for a novice because it would be harder to screw up. Kirk has some cast molded calls that would be good to try out and they are super easy to cut.
Bryce_Decker
hunter

Postby mudjunky1 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:00 pm

Bryce_Decker wrote:BSOD uncut is a good call also...but the material is very hard and very hard to work on...which might be a good thing for a novice because it would be harder to screw up. Kirk has some cast molded calls that would be good to try out and they are super easy to cut.

What would be the first tools you recommend I pick up?
mudjunky1
hunter

Postby Bryce_Decker » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:05 am

I've cut calls with sandpaper, flat file, emery board, nail file, pocket knife, and a brick once or twice....
Bryce_Decker
hunter

Postby cupnglide » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:56 pm

If you are using the BSOD uncut insert, get some 200 grit sandpaper to rough it out and some 320 to fine tune it. If you are using another insert of softer material, get a fine grain Emory board and work slowly.
cupnglide
hunter

Postby Bryce_Decker » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:19 pm

I use 180 grit from start to finish. You may not want to do that till you've cut several though.
Bryce_Decker
hunter

Postby mudjunky1 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:32 pm

Bryce_Decker wrote:I use 180 grit from start to finish. You may not want to do that till you've cut several though.

Yea that is probably somegoot advice. lol
mudjunky1
hunter

Postby mudjunky1 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:43 pm

Where do I get the custom goose bands ??
mudjunky1
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum