Duck Calling Practice Drills

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

Postby KyMike » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:13 am

Always wanting to learn so what are some drills to work on in the off season to improve your calling. It can be for comp or hunting?

I'll start. One for cut feeds:
Start with making one good very cut note, like KuT. Be sure to end the note as sharp as you start it.

Then use this format with the number of notes. 1-2-3-4-5-6-6-5-4-3-2-1. Do this with your medium duck, then high duck then low duck. Once you have that down mix your high, medium and low ducks in the same sequence.

Got that down now mix up the numbers. Then add some random quacks and drag notes and boom- a sweet cut feed!

Now it's your turn.
KyMike
hunter

Re: Duck Calling Practice Drills

Postby callinfowl » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:59 am

Lifes to short to sweat the small crap !
Lighten up and have some fun ,before ya die !

Laugh at yourself and with others!!!!!
callinfowl
Forum Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:52 am

The closest I come to a "practice drill" is making my old style DC my truck call for a few weeks before the season, because it's enough tougher to run than my others to make them handle with remarkable ease by comparison. Sort of like a runner might use sand or ankle weights.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby KyMike » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:48 pm

Thanks Rick, that's a good idea. Callin there's no doubt you don't need practice drills, I believe you could run a toilet paper roll and make it sound good. This is more for ways to improve your calling wether a newbie or comp caller.
KyMike
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:47 pm

KyMike wrote:Callin there's no doubt you don't need practice drills, I believe you could run a toilet paper roll and make it sound good.

I wish. I'm very much a meat and potatoes call operator who's always focused more on the tactical than technical side of calling. My cap's off to the guys who've put in the time to learn to really make calls sing.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby callinfowl » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:08 am

KyMike wrote:Thanks Rick, that's a good idea. Callin there's no doubt you don't need practice drills, I believe you could run a toilet paper roll and make it sound good. This is more for ways to improve your calling wether a newbie or comp caller.

Far from the truth......I have to practice calling regularly, I'm no comp caller, I just like calling birds.
I just didn't get this "Then use this format with the number of notes. 1-2-3-4-5-6-6-5-4-3-2-1."
Lifes to short to sweat the small crap !
Lighten up and have some fun ,before ya die !

Laugh at yourself and with others!!!!!
callinfowl
Forum Moderator

Postby KyMike » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:18 pm

I did not mean to use that format as your actual cut feed. That format is useful for building muscle memory, ie kut, kut-kut, kut-kut-kut, etc. Once muscle memory is built you begin to become smooth and gain speed and range by transitioning through high, low and regular ducks with various strings lengths of cut feed notes, ie kut........kut-kut, kit-kit-kit-kit...... kut-kut-kuta.

I'm not a comp caller but I shoot pistols competitively for several years. The best way to build that kind of speed and accuracy is lots of practicing the fundamentals very slowly. This builds proper muscle memory. When you build muscle memory with solid fundamentals you become smooth. When you become smooth with good fundamentals you will become fast. So the best way to shoot fast and accurate is to practice being slow and smooth.
KyMike
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum