Duck Hunting Forum banner

Calling

4K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  redlegged mallard 
#1 ·
Im 15 years old and i am pretty good with a duck call except when it comes to feeder calling. Can anyone tell me how to do a feeder call?

#2 ·
Try to find someone who is close to you that can show you a thing or two. It would be easy for you to find a calling tape that could tell you how to do it, but someone close by can walk you through it.

#3 ·
I was about 13 when i first picked up a duck call. Now at 18, i can out call pretty much anyone i know. I learned by going out and finding hunting videos and just listening to how they do it and copying it. I do the feeding call by either sayin ticka ticka ticka ticka or kitty kitty kitty.. You may not be able to do it at first, it takes a while to get it down. Practice and im sure you'll get the hang of it.. After you get pretty good at it, you can add a quack in the middle to make it sound like more ducks are on the water.

#6 ·
Puddler,

I wish I would have started when I was fifteen. I commend you for that. In my opinion, all of the forementioned advice is great and will help you. My advice is this...Don't get hung up on the "rolling feed" (Unless you are planning on getting into contests.) I use a rolling feed enough to say that I RARELY use it while hunting. I prefer the "single cut" clucks. This can be achieved saying cook or cack into the call. Good luck and as one stated get with someone close to you for help...If you can't find someone in your area, holler at me...I'll give you my two cents over the phone. 573-380-0032. Good Luck.

Christian

#7 ·
Videos or DVD sare much better than cassette tapes because you can see the hand positioning. This is especially true on short reed calls for geese, but also apply for flutes and duck calls.

I know the MN Waterfowl Assn has a CD out, they are listed in the conservation forum, go to their website, and look for the Calling CD.

#12 ·
If you'll notice that when you have your decoys placed just right you won't even have to use a call. Have you ever noticed when your not paying attention that the next thing you know theres a duck putting down in your deks and you never even called ? Some days a call works fine. Then others they shy from it. On those days stop calling.[/b]

#14 ·
Practice, practice, practice! Don't worry about the rolling feeding call too much. That's one of those calls that sounds better to us than it does to the ducks. When I do use it, its in short bursts with quacks popping out once in a while. Best thing to do when the ducks are coming in is to just stop calling! Good luck! :thumbsup:

#16 ·
You need to understand first off what a feeding call is and when it should be used. IN 12 INCHES OF WATER OR LESS. That means in a lot of situations it is useless. TIKKA TIKKA isnt a feed call that is a chatter. A feed call is a series of small quacks in pairs of two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.