Call making

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

Call making

Postby duck slayer02 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:43 pm

Where can you get acrylic rods for making duck calls? Howe much do they cost? I am interested in starting to make duck calls.
Thanks,
David
"Stephens Waterfowling"
duck slayer02
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:14 pm

Have you ever made duck calls before? I have not, but i have a few friends that have. And fromt alkin to them i wouldnt start out with acrylic! Would be easier (not to mention cheaper) to use a cheaper type wood.
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby talkinquack » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:36 pm

I wouldn't start out with acrylic. If your just starting out wood would be a lot easier till you got the hang of it. You can get acrylic rod from www.hutproducts.com

Clear rod runs about $14 a foot and colored runs about $30 a foot.
Illusion Game Call Systems Pro-Staff
talkinquack
hunter

Postby duck slayer02 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:01 am

How do you make the calls out of acrylic? Do you have to machine them? We were thinking about making just one or two acrylic duck calls, and see if we want to keep making them.

David
"Stephens Waterfowling"
duck slayer02
hunter

Postby talkinquack » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:34 am

duck slayer02 wrote:How do you make the calls out of acrylic? Do you have to machine them? We were thinking about making just one or two acrylic duck calls, and see if we want to keep making them.

David

Acrylic calls are made the same way as wooden calls. You turn them on a lathe and cut em' down just like wood.
Illusion Game Call Systems Pro-Staff
talkinquack
hunter

Postby kms399 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:35 pm

check this site out http://www.customcalls.com there are some really good guys on this site and they will help you out.
another one bites the dust
kms399
hunter

Postby Idahofowlweather » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:19 pm

Al is a good place to get acyrlic rod, he marks it up but not as much as Hut does... if your looking for a diffrent color you make have get is strait up from Delvie's now your going to get stuck with 4ft of rod but you can sell it in 4 in sections on Ebay and get your money back big time...

also watch ebay... good luck and have fun... there is alot more to making a duck call than just a lathe...But we can help you out on the CCO with that...

* Al also has a great Tutorial page that will help you out a ton
http://www.thogamecalls.com/

http://www.delviesplastics.com/mm5/merc ... crylic_Rod
Jacob Hyer
Idahofowlweather
hunter

Postby RiverMan » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:58 pm

It is almost a must that you turn acrylic on a oil bath lathe.If you use a wood lathe it will scorch when it gets hot! Then you can take your 30$+ a foot acrylic and throw it in the trash.I wouldnt recomend starting out with acrylic.....but whatever you do , Good Luck. :thumbsup:
RiverMan
hunter

Postby Idahofowlweather » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:31 pm

what are you talking about....? you need to turn cast acrylic rod... and I know the 1000s of acrylic calls come from Jet Mini wood lathes... and when I get done I flame polish them with pure heat and no scorching...lol...

Acrylic calls can be turned on wood lathes just fine just make sure your using CAST acyrlic rod...

Jake

P.S. I still think that you boys should turn some Pine first and get the hang of it before you move on to acyrlic but hey my 10 call was acyrlic and I havn't had any major issuies...
Jacob Hyer
Idahofowlweather
hunter

Postby RiverMan » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:42 pm

Let me say this...I dont know about "cast" acrylic or any other acrylic, for that matter. I do however know an old guy that has made calls for over 40 years and he told me that to turn "acrylic" that it would be much easier to use an oil bath lathe. So you can prevent "scorching" the acrylic. Now ,with that being said. Im no call maker...yet but i think i will take mr. Jim's advice over someone i dont know. Im not trying to start anything. It's just that im 100% sure, he knows his buisness. :no:
RiverMan
hunter

Postby RiverMan » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:57 pm

Fowlweather, I would like to add ,that i visited your website. You are an awsome caller from listening to the sound files. I'm really considering ordering a call from you guys.Nice looking calls to. :thumbsup:
RiverMan
hunter

Postby Icelander513 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:59 pm

RiverMan wrote:It's just that im 100% sure, he knows his buisness. :no:
Don't be so sure about that. Being a callmaker myself and knowing Jake's (IdahoFW) talent when it comes to callmaking... I can assure you that acrylic can be and is successfully turned on a wood lathe. I guarantee that you couldn't tell the difference between a call done on a wood lathe and one done on an oil cooled CNC if the operator knows what he's doing... no doubt about that.
Icelander513
hunter

Postby RiverMan » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:41 am

Ok fellas, I can see the gang is gathering. You win! :boxing:
RiverMan
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:24 am

Did ya not watch those last 3 videos? That sure doesnt look like wood to me. And that sure does look like a jet mini lathe to me. there is no reason that you have to use a oil bath CNC machine to turn acrlylic. You just have to go slower by hand and do a little more polishing and finish work.

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby RiverMan » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:45 am

End of discussion...for me. Your right,Im wrong. You win! Ok? :thumbsup:
RiverMan
hunter

Postby Idahofowlweather » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:56 pm

RiverMan wrote:Fowlweather, I would like to add ,that i visited your website. You are an awsome caller from listening to the sound files. I'm really considering ordering a call from you guys.Nice looking calls to. :thumbsup:

I do want to say that my post was a little rude the way i typed it... i was running out the door to go to a comp for the weekend and I'm sorry it came out that way... its all good in the hood I hope... thanks for the compliments but I'm hardly a good caller... :biggrin: let me know if I can help ya out any way...

Jake
Last edited by Idahofowlweather on Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jacob Hyer
Idahofowlweather
hunter

Postby RiverMan » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:17 pm

I think i was a little rude myself.I apolagize to all......By the way , for what its worth...I misunderstood what the old man told me anyway...Hee hee. I appreciate the offer of help...I just may need it! :smile:
RiverMan
hunter

Postby ducklanyards » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:38 pm

RiverMan wrote:Fowlweather, I would like to add ,that i visited your website. You are an awsome caller from listening to the sound files. I'm really considering ordering a call from you guys.Nice looking calls to. :thumbsup:

You will not be dissapointed. I have the cold snap, great sounding call and easy to blow.

I decided this year to go all custom calls. I want to help those who are customs call makers. I am envious of their talents!!

David
Davey and Sons Custom Lanyards
www.ducklanyards.com
ducklanyards
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Thu May 01, 2008 2:07 pm

ducklanyards wrote:I decided this year to go all custom calls. I want to help those who are customs call makers. I am envious of their talents!!

David

I agree 100%!!!!

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ducklanyards » Thu May 01, 2008 4:59 pm

I still have some calls in the works from different makers. I will show a pic and give some more information about them as they come in.

David
Davey and Sons Custom Lanyards
www.ducklanyards.com
ducklanyards
hunter

Re: Call making

Postby MaxedWaterFowl » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:25 am

I am new to making calls also and I have a wood lathe. But pretty much I could do it on the wood lathe and what kind of acrylic would work best?
MaxedWaterFowl
Newb

Re: Call making

Postby Bo Beaver » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:35 pm

Start with acrylic rod and use SHARP tools.
"Fear and dread of you shall be upon the beasts of the earth, and the fowl of the air, all that moves upon the earth, and all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered. Every moving thing that lives shall be meat for you." Gen9:2
Bo Beaver
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum