Duck Hunting Forum banner

Looking for a soft call

4K views 33 replies 22 participants last post by  Rick Hall 
#1 ·
I'm looking for something pretty quiet for finishing and hunting small water (creeks/ponds). Single reed and wood is what i was thinking. The ducklander quiet timber caught my eye. What else would y'all suggest? Thanks!

#5 ·
I use to have a QT. I hunted with a guy last year that had a coco echo timber, by far the softest call I've used. But in my opinion it's better to have one call you can run top to bottom...I've never started working ducks with one call and then switched calls to finish them.

I hunt some small sloughs and farm ponds and have never felt like I couldn't get soft enough on my big bore.

#6 ·
RM Calls Gold Digger,you can run it whisper quiet with ease and in the very same breath reach out and touch em with the same call.

#7 ·
Duck Commander Brown Sugar, not wood and not a single reed but inexpensive and a quiet call. I have killed a lot of ducks in little sloughs and oxbows surrounded by timber with it thru the years. Doesn't seem to echo off the trees or blow birds out of the little spots like some calls.

#10 ·
The Timber has a small exhaust hole. The back pressure is very built into it. Having a small exhaust hole makes a call very easy to run, but limits the calls abilities both in volume, as well as tonal range. All that said, the Echo Timber has a huge following for a reason... it's a great call that's easy to run.

#11 ·
NTXbighorn93 said:
Thanks for the input guys, just curious what kind of back pressure do the RM pothole and echo timber have?
Can't speak about the newer Pothole call,as I have the call that proceeded it (Skank) that was redesigned into the today's Pothole,but my older call has quite a bit of built in back pressure,I would say much more than any Echo Timber acrylic or wood that I have ever ran.
Either call you mentioned would make a great choice for your application.
Good luck!

#19 ·
Hmmmm. I have a half dozen Echo Timbers, and would not consider any of them to be "screamers." Especially the older ones. My Boss or EEL, screamers for sure. It probably just depends on how everyone defines their terms. :beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.