Calls

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: Mallyard, okiequacker, stumpjumper, callinfowl

Calls

Postby goosehunter2118 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:23 pm

I know I am asking for a war on the first post, but I need a duck call and I am not to sure what to get. I need something that will be easy to learn with because this is going to be my first duck call. I also need something that is going to reach out to 300 yards if possible. The reason is I hunt in a field that has a few mallards the fly past. I have never had the chance to land them because I have only had goose calls with me. Sometimes they fly 60 yards over the field and don't stop. Other times they are 300 or 30 yards away and looking for a spot to land. I am not much of a duck hunter because I got hooked to honker shooting, but if the mallards are at the field, to get them to land would be a nice bonus. I also need something under $30 seeing that I am about to buy more goose stuff. :mrgreen: I was looking and the primos yo sista, but I don't know if the subtle sounds would carry out far like I need them to. Thanks for any help and this plce has the best smilies of all the forums I go to. :getdown:
When the guns go up the geese come down.
goosehunter2118
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:48 pm

Echo makes a loud single reed poly call that you can pick up for about 30 bucks. It should be plenty loud for your needs and it is very easy to blow.

RNT makes the quackhead which will get up on the top end a bit and dollar for dollar is probably one of the better all around calls on the market..but it's a little harder to blow than the echo open water and IMHO not as loud. If you want to reach out and touch those long range ducks you need a call that is designed to be loud.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby goosehunter2118 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:57 am

Thanks, one more thing. Do you hold and blow a duck call the same way you blow a shortreed goose call. I see a lot of guys using one hand on the call when they use duck calls????? Thanks for the help.
goosehunter2118
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:37 am

I got a Yo Sista last year after losing the reed end to a wooden antique. I just bought a Quackhead at Wally World last week for under $20. The RNT has more bottom end and a raspier quack than the Yo Sista. I could probably get more volume from the RNT. Yo Sista has been moved to the backup to the backup. Flextone sounds good too. Youll only need one hand for duck calling...you dont need all that back pressure for yodling:yes: :yes: :yes: Y'all have a nice day :thumbsup:

:hammering: :hammering: :hammering: :hammering:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby QuackWacker08 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:36 pm

ECHO POLY OPEN WATER ALL THE WAY! Its the only duck call I know of so far that actually sounds like a duck when its on top, it does squeal or squeak, it sounds like a duck would if hes tryin to yell his brains out. Definately not the yo sista, it is the complete opposite of what youre lookin for.
QuackWacker08
hunter

Postby duckbuster » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:08 pm

buy a bill collector easy to use and cheap
Just making my way the only way i know how!
duckbuster
hunter

CALLS

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:22 pm

I never shoot limits of mallards, mostly a variety of everything, Widgeon, Teal, Sprig, Gadwall, the occasional unfortunate Spoondog, and Mallards.

My advice is buy a wistle and a duck call that you are able to produce a good feeder sound with first. Unless the only thing you hunt is mallards! At least the way it works in California: The ducks are so used to hearing Cheesy mallard calls, the mere sound of one sends em packin. Unless you happen to be some champion duck caller. Wistle and feeder gets every time. An occasional Waa Waaa Waaa never hurts when the birds are far away, but up close it's not usually a good idea.
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby goosehunter2118 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:45 pm

The only thing we shoot around here is mallards and a wood duck now and again. All the ducks I have seen over this field have been mallards.
goosehunter2118
hunter

Postby QuackWacker08 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:50 pm

OOPS! In my previous post I meant, doesnt squeal and squeek. Sorry, lol.
QuackWacker08
hunter

Postby birdshooter » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:51 pm

Buck Gardners Double Nasty XL SPIT-TECH. As you are a beginner it would probably be easier to learn on a double reed. Buck says this new spit-tech absolutely will not stick gaurenteed, and it will ring on the top just like a single reed....... Not to mention you get that Buck Gardner top rated service.
birdshooter
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:13 pm

birdshooter wrote:Buck Gardners Double Nasty XL SPIT-TECH. As you are a beginner it would probably be easier to learn on a double reed. Buck says this new spit-tech absolutely will not stick gaurenteed, and it will ring on the top just like a single reed....... Not to mention you get that Buck Gardner top rated service.

Brother just bought one a couple days ago. Sounds pretty good.

Also check out Mick Lacy Calls. I have a Mick's Mallard Magic single reed and love it. I am thinking about getting a double reed to match it. Great calls for $25
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby KO » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:51 am

goosehunter,

f you're tired of the store bought stuff...buy a custom call....oh that's rght I make them......to answer your goose call question....shrt reeds require the air to be popped into them, where as a duck call requires a person to exhale into it......KO
KO
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:04 am

Hasnt been mentioned yet...get ya a drake whistle...got me one for $10 and works GREAT :yes: :yes: :yes: Get the QuackHead before you get the Yo sista :thumbsup: Y'all have a nice day!

:hammering: :hammering: :hammering: :hammering: :hammering:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby hm_palmer » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:13 am

My first call was a Haydels DR-85 its a nice easy call to use and it comes with a wistle, also the double nasty is a nice easy call to use and also comes with a wistle.
hm_palmer
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:26 pm

If yer like me, and dont know squat about callin ducks-- you should just git a cheapie to start out with. Then as you become more experienced and know what you want, you can go wild and buy all kinds of fancy stuff.

(This is my 3rd season.... and Im still on my "Cheapie" :mrgreen: )
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby goosehunter2118 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:57 pm

Alright guys thanks for the help. I ended up buying a echo poly open water and the whistle they sell. Now I got to practice and drive more people crazy. :mrgreen:
goosehunter2118
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:03 pm

You are well on your way to being the perfect husband :yes: :laughing: :yes: :laughing: :yes: :laughing:
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby Bret » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:22 pm

:withstupid: :laughing: :laughing: :toofunny:

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby goosehunter2118 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:16 am

Ducksbeus wrote:You are well on your way to being the perfect husband :yes: :laughing: :yes: :laughing: :yes: :laughing:

Thanks! :getdown: :mrgreen:
goosehunter2118
hunter

Postby goosehunter2118 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:29 pm

Guys, I need help with the whistle. I am not sure what to do with it and it didn't come with instructions. I know someone said something about a mallard grunt. Is that what sound like a real low quack. The only time you here it is when ducks are close. I can make that sound with the whistle. Thanks
goosehunter2118
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:51 am

Whistles take a little practice, but, are easy ta master. Make a " voot" sound into it. When theyre circling and grunting...do it back. A three note series...Voot, vooot, voot. Teal, pintails, widgeons, and alot divers, will react to a plain "peep"...use that in a little 3 note series as well...Peep, Peep, Peeep. The old " woo, wee, woo", sounds kinda like a quail, will get the attention of alot puddlers as well :yes: :yes: :yes: Y'all have a nice day :thumbsup:
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:25 pm

KO wrote:
oh that's rght I make them

are u trying to advertise your calls or something?
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:57 pm

Good whislte is the Primos High Roller.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum