Calling Transition

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

Calling Transition

Postby quackhunt1 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:02 am

Maybe someone can help me out. :help: When a flock is flying by of course you give them the pattened 'high ball' but when they start to turn toward the decoys. What sort of call do you give them to keep them interested? I've tried to transit into a 'feeder' call but most of the time the flock makes another 180 and fly off. Any ideas?
Happiness is falling feathers.
quackhunt1
hunter

Postby okiequacker » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:30 am

I rarely call when ducks are flying towards me. I very rarely use Highball.
When ducks are coming my why, I wait!...let them look...then as they fly pass give them a 5-6 note pleading call. Really the only time I'll call as they are coming at me is if they are still quite aways off. I will then give a short 4-5 note greeting call. My advice has always been....know when NOT to call...Hope this helps ya.
Tom Cook
Born and raised in Arkansas flooded timber!
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby OU » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:58 am

One thing I was taught when learning to call ducks was to call at wings & tailfeathers. I think if you can keep this in mind while hunting, it will make you more effective in your calling and should offer more opportunities to kill more birds.

With that said, I don't ever call at birds that are coming right at me. There's no point. If they are coming at you, more than likely they have already seen your spread and are coming for a closer look. You don't want to do or say(calling) anything unrealistic. I don't think you would need the high ball really either, unless you were calling birds a couple hundred yards off and just trying to get their attention.

In my opinion if you stick to your basic 5-7 note hen, with a little feed chuckle here and there to seal the deal you will be more sufficient in your calling and the kill ratio should rise.
Fowl Language Duck Calls:
The Call Ducks Swear By.

Git R' Done
OU
hunter

Postby KO » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:23 am

OU is right, calling birds that are looking right at you just gives them the opportunity to pinpoint your location......if you've turned birds....give them a quick QUack QUack quack.....and then soft single quacks.......If you have birds headed to you...theres no point in calling....they are doing exactly what you want them to do already.....just wait to see if they commit or do a fly by.....if they do a fly by...hit them with a demanding comeback.....if that turns them...back off again......over calling has always been worse than no calling.....and thats coming from a guy who likes to call...I have to make my self quit.....KO
KO
hunter

Calling em down!

Postby Ole # 13 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:04 am

Maybe you should wait and see what they do. After they pass again give them a softer call. They closer the birds come the more softer you want to call. Example: If yo want to get someone's attention at a distance you yell butif someone is sitting beside you you might want to lower your tone and whisper to them.
Ole # 13
Newb

Postby quackkiller » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:40 pm

In my timber hole I never call unless they fly over and are going the opposite way. Then I just get their attention and let them look things over and they usually come right in. 75% of the time you'll be standing there and they will just come over the tree tops and drop right into my decoys. You barely have time to get your gun up!
quackkiller
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:43 pm

I will have to calm down on my calling, I think I call way to much. :oops:
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum