Duck Hunting Forum banner

Reeds

190 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Doc.dcsek 
#1 ·
what does the size of the reed do for you? Example: .007 .010
I just bought a Echo XLT and well lets just say my brother screwed up the reed by cutting too much to "make it sound better"!

Anyhow bought some more reeds from echo and bought the tune up kit from RNT.... Noticed they have diff. size reeds what do the thickness of the reed do for the call?

#2 ·
I believe they have the thicker reeds in their timber calls.... XLT, timber, breaker and ODB.. not sure about rest. I would assume thicker reeds may be a little deeper in tone and harder to overblow. I think the pure meat has a thinner reed and it has a little more of a higher pitched whiney tone.

Being that all my calls are single reed echo calls I should know more about this. I can for sure tell you practicing when tuning your calls is the best bet. Don't have someone else do it unless you are at the Echo shop. Buy extra reeds and remember to cut VERY little at a time.

Good Luck and don't forget..... Practice :grooving:

#3 ·
Just checked with Echo calls. They replied saying that timber reeds will work but you can order the regular reeds and tune it the way you want especially if you need the call to blow harder.

So I would order the regular reeds that come in pks of 6 or 12. it is what I have done in the past..

Hope this helps,

Good luck

#4 ·
Rgr that... Thank you very much for your time ... I will take your advice... Thx brother!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.