Duck Hunting Forum banner

Lanyard call similarities

293 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  stumpjumper 
#1 ·
Who here strings two or more duck calls based on how similar they run to each other? I've usually not paid that much attention to it in the past, I have two calls I like on a lanyard generally one very loud one more in the middle little more ducky. I usually use the middle one the most and the loud one on the rare occasion I make the mistake of screaming at something. But I've decided to switch to two calls that are both more mid range more ducky calls as I didn't use the loud one enough. But now I have the problem of running one and man it sounds pretty good and go to run the other one and it takes me a min to adjust and then oh man that one sounds good to.

So do people here have that problem? Do you bring two or more calls that all run pretty similar to each other and you can pick up any regardless of what you were blowing last and run it with no adjustment period or do you just deal with the time it takes to adjust to the other call?

#2 ·
Why would you have to take time to adjust ?
I have a ducky middle of the road call on one dropper and a super loud call on the other.
The loud call is always on the left side so when I grab a call I know whether or not I can hammer on it or if I have to back it down a notch.
Simple as that ! :yes:

#3 ·
I gather the problem isn't knowing which call you have in hand but that each runs most to your taste with a bit different air presentation, which is something that would bug me enough to be looking for a more complimentary pairing - unless, perhaps, I felt each of what I was running held particularly strong advantage in some important regard. (Was, for instance, a cutdown in my lanyard's experimental loop for three seasons before I decided whatever advantage it might at times offer wasn't enough to offset the inconvenience of running it.)

By the same token, what callinfowl seems to be talking about, pairing a call you can really jump on with one you can't, bugs me, too. Because if I'm finessing birds with a relatively quiet call and things go south, I don't want to have to switch calls to bark at them to spark a reflex turn without locking up what's in hand. So the quietest call I'm apt to carry is one of medium volume that will run virtually the same as the loud MVP I use most without choking out. (Though at last tough season's end, my favorite stock MVP ended up being my "quiet" call and paired with a bored out MVP with a bit more reed that I could REALLY herc on.)

Anyway, in your boots, I'd be looking for calls that were complimentary both by way of each serving a particular purpose best and in how they run.

#4 ·
Thanks for the responses, this is exactly my issue at hand. Finding two calls that sound good while sounding different that run the same. In the past I've always used a couple of trusted echos but I've started branching out to other brands and have found many calls I like a lot more then the old echos. Just no two at the moment that run close enough to each other that I could really see having them both on the same lanyard.

I guess I will just have to continue buying calls...

#5 ·
Fowlfello said:
I guess I will just have to continue buying calls...
This is just an unfortunate fact. I've tried a couple of calls that people will absolutely swear by that just didn't work for me. On the other hand, there are calls that I've taken quite a liking too that may not be the most ubiquitously popular. Personal preference, anatomy, lots of things go into what ultimately works for you. Getting your hands on them is the only way you'll find out.

#7 ·
I've never sent a call back to be retuned. I tune all my own calls and don't know how anyone could stand to take the time to box one up and send it in to have it retuned. There's countless youtube videos explaining how to do it and if you can properly blow a duck/goose call there's no reason you shouldn't be able to tune one as well.

Now I have spent a lot of time tuning a call when I should have just spent more time blowing it...

#8 ·
Rick Hall said:
First thing anyone serious about their calling should do is learn to tune their calls. A lot less would be sold if folks would learn to retune them.
AMEN!!!!!!!!

STUMP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.