Duck Hunting Forum banner

Cutt Down Game Calls

287 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Rick Hall 
#1 ·
About a month ago I took jrode's and Rich Halls' advice and traded for a loud duck call to try and "leverage" the ducks that almost always fly by. I traded for a Cutt Down Game Calls Series 1. They advertise this call as a Comp/hunting call. I always shied away from these types of call because I thought they would take too much air and were for very advanced callers. Now I wish I would of tried one sooner. Right out of the box I noticed the fit, finish, and craftsmanship was fantastic. Took a few minutes to tune it how I liked and wow! I can't believe how easy this call is to run and how little air it takes to get LOUD. Probably the easiest call I've used to run top to bottom in volume and pitch. Much louder than my RNT Original but gets down just as low and is easier to run. Easy to get multiple ducks and easy to transition crisply from note to note. Just a great sounding call that is easy and fun to run. So if your looking for a quality call from a small call maker give these guys a look.
I also picked up a RNT Micohen in a trade a few days ago since everyone seems to rave about this call. Tried it and didn't really like it. Since everyone said how nice a call it was and how fun it is to run I stuck with and after a couple of days it clicked and I now it's one of my favorites. Now maybe I can learn the Cajun Squeal.

#2 ·
Interesting. I didn't even know CDGC was still around, much less making single-reed comp type calls. Used to make a ducky little poly and wood double-reed.

As with too many RNT's, there are multiple generations of Microhens. The first, I think much better, generation was more open bored and while still an inherently relatively quiet call could get pretty loud without locking up if you jumped on it. The second (current?) generation is tighter bored and much more apt to lock if you hit it hard. Two very different calls of the same name.

#3 ·
Actually Rick, I own one of the "newer" microhen calls (I only know because of the o-ringed insert and longer barrel) and you can hammer it pretty good. Doesn't have the volume like the old ones did but not a terrible call. Didn't really expect to like it at all when I traded for it but thought it may be easy enough to move, and was pleasantly surprised once I tuned it up. May just hunt it in some small water areas.
As for the OP, congrats on taking the risk. I've not tried that call specifically but if it's what you're after, (something only you can be the judge of) and fits your calling style, it will lead to more confidence. And having that in a call you hunt is an immeasurable quality.

#4 ·
jrode237 said:
Actually Rick, I own one of the "newer" microhen calls (I only know because of the o-ringed insert and longer barrel) and you can hammer it pretty good. Doesn't have the volume like the old ones did but not a terrible call.
I haven't sold my second generation Microhen, yet, because it's fun to run and I'm thinking a good starter single reed for one of my young grandons. But, while it had its chance, it wasn't on my lanyard long before the much more versatile first generation was back on it.

(Our migration was so skinny last year that the louder Microhen yielded its spot for the last couple or three weeks to an over-bored MVP with more oomph than the standard one that's been my mainstay, and there were more than a few days when that's what it took to put big ducks on the string.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.