Duck Hunting Forum banner

Which call to add

281 views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  WhiteTailFevah 
#1 ·
So i wanna buy a new call. Just to add to what i currently have which isnt much.
This year i'm gonna toss some of the random calls i carried last year (zink NGB, BG swap meat). Gonna run an wood duck, 3-1 whistle, a power clucker goose call, an echo breaker and a Echo timber poly DR.

I wanna add one call to the mix. My echo calls are new to me for this year, been practicing a lot and loving them, they have been my back and forth from work practice calls . Trying to figure out if i wanna add an XLT or add an RNT call to the mix like an original, Daisy cutter, or short barrel. Although i'm not sure what the changes to all these calls for their anniversary models are.

Help me pick a call, what adds the most versatility or hits a gap between or outside the breaker and timber?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
As far as RNT goes, depends on your calling talent/experience. The original is the easiest of the three to run IMO. gets louder than the short barrel, has less rasp than daisy cutter. The short barrel is the quietest of the 3. The daisy cutter is my favorite. It has a lot of rasp and is the harder of the 3 to blow. They opened up the bore on it this year to make it closer to the old daisy cutter collectors go crazy for. Should be loud and nasty, but if you're not an experienced caller, it may be difficult.

#6 ·
NEAduck said:
As far as RNT goes, depends on your calling talent/experience. The original is the easiest of the three to run IMO. gets louder than the short barrel, has less rasp than daisy cutter. The short barrel is the quietest of the 3. The daisy cutter is my favorite. It has a lot of rasp and is the harder of the 3 to blow. They opened up the bore on it this year to make it closer to the old daisy cutter collectors go crazy for. Should be loud and nasty, but if you're not an experienced caller, it may be difficult.
Thanks this is helpful. Any direct comparison between the RNT original and the Echo Break in terms of sound and volume?

#10 ·
Rick Hall said:
Your idea of "consensus" apparently differs greatly from mine. As long as RNT makes MVPs, no one should get an Original.
Sorry rick i misunderstood ur post, by the later I thought you meant both of the listed RNT calls not the MVP.

I was under the impression the MVP was for advance callers and was a bit harder to run?

#12 ·
Listen to Rick. The man knows his stuff. I agree with him on the MVP over the original. To me they are basically a similar call to use, but the MVP is louder and is capable of a lot more. It is also crisper. You can make it raspy of you know what you're doing, but it's hard to make the original crisp. IMO

#14 ·
WhiteTailFevah said:
Rick Hall said:
I once assumed a "contest" call required an advance operator, too, but I've never tried a large-bored call that's been easier or more fun to run than the MVP.
Thank you, i appreciate the input.

Rick's posts talked me away from the committed custom small bore I had and into an MVP. It was a great move and I won't go back. I've learned a lot from that call. It gets loud and can stretch but also can get quiet. I'm still working hard with it but I'm enjoying the results. It was money well spent.

#15 ·
Bluesky2012 said:
WhiteTailFevah said:
Rick Hall said:
I once assumed a "contest" call required an advance operator, too, but I've never tried a large-bored call that's been easier or more fun to run than the MVP.
Thank you, i appreciate the input.

Rick's posts talked me away from the committed custom small bore I had and into an MVP. It was a great move and I won't go back. I've learned a lot from that call. It gets loud and can stretch but also can get quiet. I'm still working hard with it but I'm enjoying the results. It was money well spent.

I think i'm gonna wait a bit on a new call And really figure out the ones i have. Need to keep practicing and get better.

With that said, i will def be buying an MVP at some point. Anyone know if you can buy one in another color besides the 4 shown on the website?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.