Duck Hunting Forum banner

HELP! Frustrated! Can't Call!!!

5K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  EastTexasPride 
#1 ·
Hello guys,

I started waterfowl hunting 2 years ago. I've been trying for so long to get even a basic quack down.
I've listened to CD's, DVD's, Youtube after Youtube after Youtube tutorial video. I'm half way temped to pay someone to teach me.

Every time I try it sounds like a kazoo. I can blow without my cheeks puffing out. I've tried putting the between my teeth. Tried blowing from my "gut", "forcing" the air out, blowing from my diaphragm, all the tips, trick and what not. I've read so many websites how-to's I think they're all bogus! Hours listening, days turn into weeks and weeks into months. Not even ONE note that sounds correct.

When I try to cough or use hot air it's not enough to actually make a sound, I end up getting light headed and almost sick I try so much.
I've tried saying the words on the call's backside and turning it over but I end up just talking into the call and it doesn't make any sound.

I've gotten all the newbie beginner duck calls that were recommended. Right now I have 3 single reed duck call's. Can't remember 2 of them as they're out in my car (I practice an hour a day on the way to work) but one of them is Uncle Si's Single Reed.

Guy's I am desperate here. Please any tips are welcome, hopefully I haven't read or heard them already. I'm hoping someone will tell me something and it will just click.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey, where do you live? You mentioned paying for instruction, but I'm pretty sure 99% of the forum members would make a stop by and take a look and give you a few pointers for free if they could. Helping a brother out is what most of us do when mentoring or asking someone to join in the blind for a hunt. I'm sure most guys won't mind at all.

As for my tip... You mentioned putting the call between your teeth, and that isn't where it should be. Try putting the call to your lips like putting a 20 oz. pop bottle up to drink. The bottom of the call goes just on top/inside of your bottom lip and the top of the call is on the outside of your upper lip. Essentially you are only blowing air into "half" of the mouth piece. That forces the air from your lungs into your mouth and then further compresses it and increases the velocity into the call. Also for a good basic quack, air is crisp at the beginning and crisp at the end. That's the reason for sound words that begin and end with a "T" sound. You have probably already heard all of this though.

Honestly though, your best place to start is finding a duck hunter in your local area that can see what you have and what you don't. Maybe someone on here lives close to you and can just see where you're at.

Good luck. And remember, you don't need to win competitions to kill ducks. So once you get it, grow in the off season and use what you're good at to kill birds. Too many guys try too much in the field and lose birds by trying to "compete" while hunting.

#4 ·
I just started to call last year, and I am already getting the hang of a rolling chuckle. You said your call sounds like a kazoo which means you are not actually speaking into the call. My favorite word to say in a call is "what". This is to get a simple quack, but you have to actually say the word in the call. Your "voice box" activates the raspy sound of a mallard hen. My friend was having the same problem, because he was just blowing out the words. When I told him to actually say the word, he nailed it first try. Its basically like whispering. When you whisper its just straight air, but when you actually talk it makes a vibration. This is the key to making you call sound like a duck, and not a kazoo.

#5 ·
EastTexasPride said:
I just started to call last year, and I am already getting the hang of a rolling chuckle. You said your call sounds like a kazoo which means you are not actually speaking into the call. My favorite word to say in a call is "what". This is to get a simple quack, but you have to actually say the word in the call. Your "voice box" activates the raspy sound of a mallard hen. My friend was having the same problem, because he was just blowing out the words. When I told him to actually say the word, he nailed it first try. Its basically like whispering. When you whisper its just straight air, but when you actually talk it makes a vibration. This is the key to making you call sound like a duck, and not a kazoo.
I disagree. If you listen to Carlson's A to Z, he speaks a lot about why grunting, using vocal chords, etc does not create the desired ring or rasp you are looking for. It can add rasp, but you lose the ability later to reach the full extent of what the call can do because of the poor fundamentals. The larynx crack you use at the start of a note (after learning fundamentals of proper air control) can change tone slightly, but grunting, moaning, etc into the call the whole note is not correct. I would highly suggest you get the program and start from the first second of the first track. I had a bad habit of doing exactly what you are mentioning and quickly plateud and wasn't able to get the speed, sound, control, and reach I wanted out of the call.

You should be presenting firm air from your diaphragm, with a more open mouth cavity on high end loud notes, and a progressively tighter mouth cavity (tongue arch rising) as your are getting quieter or going into low range notes. Your fingers should provide the back pressure that creates the ring. Too much and you will squeak out.

Seriously get the program and follow it. I saw huge dividends. I recently posted on here with similar issues and got help from forum members, and the program. I am about to post up another sound file in a few days to show the increased success but youre likely along the same issues I used to have.

Also, a good call will let you learn and will expose your issues better. I moved to a good call so that I could make sure I was learning proper technique and that also made a big difference.

#6 ·
What call are you trying to use? Some calls are easier to use than others. If it's out of tune it's going to be impossible to learn how to call correctly. If it's from a reputable call company send it in and have it tuned so you know your working with a properly functioning call.

#7 ·
Bluesky2012 said:
EastTexasPride said:
I disagree. If you listen to Carlson's A to Z, he speaks a lot about why grunting, using vocal chords, etc does not create the desired ring or rasp you are looking for. It can add rasp, but you lose the ability later to reach the full extent of what the call can do because of the poor fundamentals. The larynx crack you use at the start of a note (after learning fundamentals of proper air control) can change tone slightly, but grunting, moaning, etc into the call the whole note is not correct. I would highly suggest you get the program and start from the first second of the first track. I had a bad habit of doing exactly what you are mentioning and quickly plateud and wasn't able to get the speed, sound, control, and reach I wanted out of the call.

You should be presenting firm air from your diaphragm, with a more open mouth cavity on high end loud notes, and a progressively tighter mouth cavity (tongue arch rising) as your are getting quieter or going into low range notes. Your fingers should provide the back pressure that creates the ring. Too much and you will squeak out.

Seriously get the program and follow it. I saw huge dividends. I recently posted on here with similar issues and got help from forum members, and the program. I am about to post up another sound file in a few days to show the increased success but youre likely along the same issues I used to have.

Also, a good call will let you learn and will expose your issues better. I moved to a good call so that I could make sure I was learning proper technique and that also made a big difference.
Just attempted what you said, I am sure I'm doing it wrong, or I'm not understanding what your saying. When I do what you say it sounds like a kazoo. I'm always open to new suggestions, due to my lack of experience.

#8 ·
EastTexasPride said:
Bluesky2012 said:
EastTexasPride said:

Just attempted what you said, I am sure I'm doing it wrong, or I'm not understanding what your saying. When I do what you say it sounds like a kazoo. I'm always open to new suggestions, due to my lack of experience.
It's not a one day fix. The Carlson program goes through chapters before you even get to adding ring and developing the tone the way you're wanting. Also, you need a call capable of doing what you want. A cheap call may not let you get there. Go through the Carlson program and you'll see what I'm talking about.

#9 ·
I would like to thank everyone for the advice and try to reply to everyone;

I currently have all single reed duck calls:

Buck Gardner's Double Nasty II
Duck Dynasty Uncle Si
Haydel Gadwall Call

Those were suggested beginner duck calls from different websites. The Haydel is my favorite because it comes out sounding more like a duck and less as a "kazoo" sound but still doesn't sound right.

I've read also that double reed maybe a better choice for beginners?

I listened to Buck Gardner's CD on how to call. He focuses more on calling as if you already know how to... So that wasn't much help as of yet. I've found Carlon's A to Z CD on the web - I will give that a shot this week.

I can tell you when I'm trying to make these quaCK sounds, T sounds, sounding things out, etc I'm producing more spit than anything out.
I've tried the methods of sounds things out on the other end of the call and turning it over and it sounds nothing like the people in the video's.
This maybe a theory but some people talk about tongue movement... I think that maybe just PART of my issue.
This helps me the most but I've still yet to make any progress.

#11 ·
Shades said:
Here is an audio of what I've managed to do with hours upon hours of practice.

Hopefully your hears don't bleed, because I know my dog sure hates it!!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0KSrL ... sp=sharing
I'm going to be honest, nothing to go off with that file.

I started with a cheap double reed, learned bad habits, and finally bought an RNT MVP and carlsons A-Z and realized I had both a call that was not capable of anything, and also I had a ton of bad habits result from screwing around with a low end call and improper instruction. I honestly don't know where to start other than its like you're lightly sneezing into a call. I'd look at getting that program, maybe getting a good double reed capable of learning with, and starting from scratch. Your air presentation is definitely waaaaay too light for one. Doesn't sound like you're using your diaphragm to pressurize the air at all. I'm not a great caller, so I'll let others give you more help, but YouTube doesn't seem to have the answers you're looking for.

#12 ·
Yeah sorry about the audio file. The dogs were going nuts with my calls. And every time I would record it would sound like I was so far away. Think I need to adjust mic settings on my laptop.

If anyone has any suggestions on newbie double reeds I'm open to it.

I'll order the Carlson's CD this week and see if that doesn't help too...

#13 ·
Shades said:
Yeah sorry about the audio file. The dogs were going nuts with my calls. And every time I would record it would sound like I was so far away. Think I need to adjust mic settings on my laptop.

Check out the Duck Commander Mule, not very loud but sounds great!

#14 ·
EastTexasPride said:
Shades said:

Check out the Duck Commander Mule, not very loud but sounds great!
Here are my honest thoughts. As a guy who recently went through a bad calling plateau and just couldn't get to the level I wanted to. First, cheap calls are exactly that, cheap calls. You can buy all the $20-$40 calls you want, but odds are there they won't be able to do what you want, and will likely hide technique issues that you are developing and in the long run will enable bad habits.

A few months back, I decided to get a good single reed (RNT MVP) and the carlsons CD so I could make sure I didn't have to guess if it was me or the call. Ends up it was both. I had been running a cheap double reed and had gotten bad habits from it, and then when I tried to use that one and one other single reed with the Carlson's program, I realized neither had the ability that the program required and it quickly showed me how much of a difference there was (hence I moved to the MVP).

Bottom line, get a call that is capable of doing what you want and what you need to learn. Get a good program. I wish I had not gone through a few cheap calls and had instead just done it right once.

#15 ·
Bluesky2012 said:
EastTexasPride said:

I've been practicing what you said to do, and you are right! Not saying I have it down, but I'm a fast learner. It sounds so much better! It's a lot more clear. A good analogy would be it's like a cherry bomb vs flow masters, if you know much about truck exhausts. Thank you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.